IGNORED

Official US Open Thread

michaeljames92
Note: This thread is 5051 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Not sure what happened to Yang today. He played holes 1-9 bogey-free so far with some birds thrown in. 10-18 both days... :(

And it looks like two amateurs will make the cut, and another two will miss by one after each finished yesterday with quads.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure what happened to Yang today. He played holes 1-9 bogey-free so far with some birds thrown in. 10-18 both days... :(

Shot 49, ouch. 14 did him in too.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Yeah - 14 is evil, imagine playing 14 at Pebble on your XBox set up like at the US Open - you would probably smash your controller before you could finish this hole. So many players got screwed by this hole so far - its almost a bit of a gamble when you play it (even super conservative as everybody does) and it could influence the outcome drastically - more than any other hole out there, imo thats kinda unfair...

Burner 9°
FW Burner 15°
Burner Rescue 19°
MP67 4-PW
CG10 50° CG12 DSG 54° & 60°

phil's good but he's not that good!

That 66 could have been a 63 and he'd have the lead.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Yeah - 14 is evil, imagine playing 14 at Pebble on your XBox set up like at the US Open - you would probably smash your controller before you could finish this hole. So many players got screwed by this hole so far - its almost a bit of a gamble when you play it (even super conservative as everybody does) and it could influence the outcome drastically - more than any other hole out there, imo thats kinda unfair...

Not unfair if everyone has to do it. I like the course because everyone is struggling to make par and that they have to make EVERY shot count. I do think some of the other tournaments should take a page from this and lengthen roughs and narrow fairways.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Of course everybody has to do it, but unless you get it to stop on top you are in trouble, and the problem is, that even good shots sometimes dont hold on top (just wait for the greens to dry up again) - and once you are off the green its really more of a coinflip to get it back up, than anything else.
One of the commentators yesterday seriously suggested after some player was struggeling and chipping/flopping it over the green over and over again, to just put it in the bunker and try it from there........

Burner 9°
FW Burner 15°
Burner Rescue 19°
MP67 4-PW
CG10 50° CG12 DSG 54° & 60°

Of course everybody has to do it, but unless you get it to stop on top you are in trouble, and the problem is, that even good shots sometimes dont hold on top (just wait for the greens to dry up again) - and once you are off the green its really more of a coinflip to get it back up, than anything else.

I know its tough but the other two guys made par. You hit a poor shot or do not plan for those outcomes you are screwed. You are right about the game though, I play the PS3 version and the greens on the final day can be trying. I do feel for them but would not change anything.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

49? Holy crap, I didn't know that. And it looks like he missed the cut too.

Worst part is, I'd probably be ecstatic with that score The tough part about 14 is that you literally have to hit 3 excellent shots to think about birdie/par. If you end up too short or to far right in your layup shot, you have almost no chance of stopping the ball because the landing area near the pin is so small. Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

I wonder if McDowell is able to keep up the good play. I'm sure Phil will be up there in one of the two last groups tomorrow. Ernie and Dustin can win it, Paul Casey and Choi within close proximity. Even Tiger is only 5 shots off the second spot if McDowell don't run off. The saturday round will be interesting.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

49? Holy crap, I didn't know that. And it looks like he missed the cut too.

49 on the back. The thing about 14 is that there were a lot of decent scores. If your 3rd shot, a wedge, is put on the right part of the green with spin you have a good shot at birdie. But if you miss the green it's tricky. Fair, but tricky. And a lot of guys just hit bad bad pitch shots.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

my picks to click today:

biggest drop: Graeme McDowell

biggest move up: right now he's T16 @ +3 but I look for Lee Westwood to climb in the front page of the leaderboard today....also I like Ian Poulter to climb from his current T10 @ +1

biggest move up: right now he's T16 @ +3 but I look for Lee Westwood to climb in the front page of the leaderboard today....also I like Ian Poulter to climb from his current T10 @ +1

Poulter's played seventeen of the holes reasonably well this week. If he can keep it together on 14 the next two times around, he'll finish top-3 easily. Maybe even a win.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I know it is a beautiful place, but I don't like seeing the US Open played on Poa. I retired where there are bent grass greens but still year around play for a reason -- life is too short for Poa, no matter how breathtaking the views. I'm ready for a fire storm of complaints for this comments.

P.S. I accept the Champion because everyone has to play the same greens, but the element of luck is just too high.

RC

I know it is a beautiful place, but I don't like seeing the US Open played on Poa. I retired where there are bent grass greens but still year around play for a reason -- life is too short for Poa, no matter how breathtaking the views. I'm ready for a fire storm of complaints for this comments.

Watching the Open this week I've been thinking about the luck element too.It seems to me the harder you make a couse like Pebble, the larger part luck has to play.Shouldn't player skill dictate the winner moreso than a lucky bounce on an approach shot or drive, or a lucky (or unlucky) bobble on those greens?This year's Masters proved that you don't have to have a tricked up course and poor scoring to make a Major interesting.I'm enjoying the tournament, it's fine.But I keep getting the feeling that player skill is being taken out of the equation on certain holes.

A great shot is when you go for it and pull it off. A smart shot is when you don't have the guts to try it. ~ Phil Mickelson.

Poulter's played seventeen of the holes reasonably well this week. If he can keep it together on 14 the next two times around, he'll finish top-3 easily. Maybe even a win.

yeah I agree with that, if Poulter can keep his emotions in check (after a bad hole, shot etc...) I do think he could win this thing......and to be honest if Phil doesn't win, I would like to see eith Westwood or Poulter be crowned the Champ

49 on the back.

Yeah, I had to look up the hole-by-hole scoring to believe it. 5 bogies, 1 double and 2 triples. Ouch. If I ever get to play Pebble Beach (played Poppy Hills this past April), that is the score I will be shooting to beat :)

My pick for a good round today is Dustin Johnson. I think he'll be the leader going into Sunday. Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Note: This thread is 5051 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!