IGNORED

The Haney Project: Rush Limbaugh

JetFan1983
Note: This thread is 4300 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by TourSpoon

The one thing that I realized watching this show and viewing this thread is how loaded Rush is...those are some spectacular places he plays.  I should have been rich instead of good looking.  LOL!

According to Wikipedia he made $33 mil in 2007 and then signed a $400 mil contract from 2008-2016. Loaded is an accurate word.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think I'll stick to my "it is difficult to add to a full cup" comment early in this thread.  People who are very successful tend to have egos as large or larger than their success and therefore have difficulty in listening to and learning from others.  I think Rush is one of those folks, folks.  In spite of his words about feeling he doesn't know much about golf I have some doubt he really feels that way.  But I could be mistaken.  We'll see.

I guess I'm not too sure just what Hank's Mrs is doing on the show.  She does add to the e sthetics of the show, but not much to the main content of teaching Rush to play better golf.

Butch

call me crazy but as being real new and I mean real new it helps to see some guys struggle in addition to watching the tours and maybe you pick up just a hind of a clue of what to do till the weather breaks  and you can get some lessons of your own. I missed the Barkley espisodes and did see the reruns of most of the romano show (mildly entertaining) and although I do not watch or listen to him (Rush) I am going to watch it till I decide it is not worth anymore of my time. Same goes for pipe dream, both are reality but not the kind of reality that a lot of people find entertaining (greatest race, biggest loser, survivor etc) which I personally would not invest 1 minute of my time watching.

to each his own......

I got the feeling that adding Haneys woman was an afterthought. Maybe Rush isn't the basket case that Romano and Barkley were, so they added filler.

I did not think they added her simply to appeal to those who might not watch otherwise because those considerations had to have been taken into account well before they actually settled on Rush as the subject this season.

But in the end, I won't mind watching her, and Rush entertains me. If I can sit through Ray Romano's boring tone I can sit through anything!

Originally Posted by Harmonious

@Mr. Desmond:  So you didn't like Haney's teaching teaching very much?  Sounds like a terrible experience.  But I do have to ask the question:  If it was so terrible and you didn't see any improvements, why the heck did you continue with it for 10 years???  If I didn't like what I was getting out of the first couple of lessons, I'd find a new teacher.  Happens all the time, even with Tiger.

1. I've asked that question a lot about staying with them. Here's what happened. I hadn't played in over 20 years so they were working from a clean sheet of paper. I knew nothing about golf instruction, theories, or methods. I had read 'Golf My Way' by Nicklaus in 1980. That's about it. I was told they were about the only game in town that had an organized method.

2. I went from scoring in the 120's to 90's in a relatively short time. But tempo and ballstriking were never consistent. I had terrible tempo, I found out later, from my 4th Haney instructor. The first three didn't say much --- at all. They pushed and pulled you as to what they wanted -- not much talking at all. They ignored the arm-body disconnect and didn't do much video at first. When I saw the loopy disconnect, they said, 'don't be concerned with it.' I was concerned but I put myself in their hands.  They taught the traditional weight shift that leads to ballstriking issues - the issue was getting back on the front foot. There was a lot of emphasis on swinging the arms fast and out to right field and turning the back of the left wrist to the target and down to the ground (my guess -- to prevent flipping). No instruction on lower body -- only to quiet it on the way back and to stay on the inside of both feet. They'd say the lower body would follow the arm swing out to right field (for a righty).

3. Each time I'd see the loopy disconnect, they'd say "ignore it." But the problem with the arms-body disconnect and emphasis on an arm swing is that you lose your tempo, and you get terribly inconsistent ballstriking. When you had an issue, their "fixes" were to exaggerate the fix. When I began doing the exaggeration, the instructor didn't say anything. Of course, I didn't realize I was doing the exaggeration until I saw video -- which did not occur frequently enough. They didn't not talk much at all, and gave you no hints on what type of feeling might work to help. It was push, pull,manipulate.

4. When I wasn't making progress, I'd just change to another Haney instructor, thinking one of them would get it. What kept me there  was the inconsistency -- I thought it was my fault, not their instruction -- I'd score a 80, then a 90, 95, then an 80. It was all over the place and it was the poor ballstriking and tempo.

I left when I began looking at other models that began cropping up around 2005-07 .... I began learning about Hardy and TGM and Stack 'n Tilt. I went to a top Hardy guy and he was invested in the method, not fixing the basics. The TGM Guy was interested in the basics.

I now own a tripod and a camera, and video myself frequently. Honest feedback is important. The camera doesn't lie. The thing about going through Haney, Hardy, TGM, and the beginning of Stack 'n Tilt is that I've acquired knowledge, maybe not technical knowledge, but I know more than the basics of what is occurring by viewing ballflight, divots, and through the camera.

Sometimes, you don't realize how bad things are, or what occurred, until you have some knowledge, can look back and analyze what happened.

As a note to instructors who read this, I'd say, Put down the ego and listen to your student, stick to your method, but take time out to fix and emphasize basics. Give them a feeling, hints, and figure out what they need to hear or feel by trying out their issues, make your student look good while working on your method. If the student has physical limitations, let him know about flexibility and strength training. And most of all, video and give him feedback so he can see. Explain a little -- everything is a balance. I predict, if you do this, you'll have your students sticking with you for the right reasons.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

I left when I began looking at other models that began cropping up around 2005-07 .... I began learning about Hardy and TGM and Stack 'n Tilt. I went to a top Hardy guy and he was invested in the method, not fixing the basics. The TGM Guy was interested in the basics.

I now own a tripod and a camera, and video myself frequently. Honest feedback is important. The camera doesn't lie. The thing about going through Haney, Hardy, TGM, and the beginning of Stack 'n Tilt is that I've acquired knowledge, maybe not technical knowledge, but I know more than the basics of what is occurring by viewing ballflight, divots, and through the camera.

Sometimes, you don't realize how bad things are, or what occurred, until you have some knowledge, can look back and analyze what happened.

Great response, Mr. Desmond. Although I'm sure you wish it hadn't happened, the good news is you now a have much greater knowledge about your game. It's always interesting to hear how folks have arrived at where they are in their golf "education".

In 2010, I spent a lot of time evaluating my game through video, and in reading a number of golf instruction books.  There was always the hope that something magical will immediately click, and every shot from then on will be absolutely perfect.  Of course, that's a naive idea.  But it did help me identify a couple of faults that I will continue to work on this year.  And it also helped me to realize that, even with those faults, my game wasn't all that bad, and to not sweat it so much if I didn't hit every shot perfectly.  Maybe that was the most valuable thing of all.

Anyway, good luck with your quest. To quote noted philosopher Red Green:  "We're all in this together".

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by Harmonious

Anyway, good luck with your quest. To quote noted philosopher Red Green:  "We're all in this together".

Agreed.

Constantine

Originally Posted by ghalfaire

Either Rush doesn't play very often (2 1/2 years and only 20 rounds) or he doesn't record all of his rounds (a ego handicap?).  If this is real he doesn't need an instructor.  Anyone that can score this well on what are difficult courses and play less than once a month and from his own mouth (I don't ever practice and I don't warm up before a game) just needs to play more and practice some.  Having said that it is clear he has some ability.  It will be an interesting series.

Uh?  Tiger Woods regularly shoots in the 60s on PGA tour courses, has won 14 majors, and over 70 PGA tour events, and he has a full time instructor...  So... tell me again why Rush doesn't?

Originally Posted by TourSpoon

Tiger stuck with him for more than a few sessions as I recall, but then again, he won a couple of tournaments too.

That's not the same, I think.

I've been into Volleyball for 20 years, and I've seen coaches, who could do wonders to rookies, teaching them the basic stuff, technique, etc., but who are not able to go into finer detail with seasoned players, give proper tactical advice, ...

On the other hand, I had coaches, who were perfect for us as high level, but were not able to teach beginners the basics of the game.

I think, that's the same in golf, too.

Edit: OnTopic:

Since I never heard of Rush Limbaugh before, I went completely unbiased into watching the first episode.

To me, it was much more interesting than Barkley and I didn't see much of Ray.

Rush cares about his game - you could tell from his "14 swing thoughts" he has, which aren't all swingthoughts, but things like "don't do reverse pivot", "alignment", and so on. All the things, you and me (the nuts on this forum) are doing when thinking about his game.

So I'm really interested, what will happen during the next episodes.

greetings

michi

"I have my own golf course and Par is whatever I say it is. There's a hole which is a Par13 and yesterday I damn nearly birdied that sucker." - Willie Nelson

Originally Posted by Shanks A Million

Quote:

Either Rush doesn't play very often (2 1/2 years and only 20 rounds) or he doesn't record all of his rounds (a ego handicap?).  If this is real he doesn't need an instructor.  Anyone that can score this well on what are difficult courses and play less than once a month and from his own mouth (I don't ever practice and I don't warm up before a game) just needs to play more and practice some.  Having said that it is clear he has some ability.  It will be an interesting series.

Uh?  Tiger Woods regularly shoots in the 60s on PGA tour courses, has won 14 majors, and over 70 PGA tour events, and he has a full time instructor...  So... tell me again why Rush doesn't?

because he doesn't golf for a living...it is called a hobby.

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

Originally Posted by Shanks A Million

Quote:

Because Rush says he doesn't practice at all and I doubt Tiger would regularly be in the 60s if he didn't practice.

Butch

I'm liking this "project".   This seems more in touch with where I am - mid handicapper, trying to reach single digits.   Ray was annoying the hell outta me, I didn't find him funny at all.  So far I'm seeing actual instruction and am rooting for Rush to get better.

In my Grom Stand bag:

Driver: Ping G20, 8.5 Tour Stiff
Wood/Hybrid: G20 3W, Raylor 19*, 22*
Irons: R9 5I - SW, TM CGB LW

Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi-Mid

Favorites: Old Ranch (Seal Beach), Ike/Babe (Industry Hills), Skylinks (Long Beach), Desert Willow (Palm Desert)

the observation of "you want to go to the range after playing" was classic as well somthing along the lines of "i am opposed to exercise"...LOL Hanks face was awesome!! like really, did i just hear that.

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

You saw some instruction? Dang, it must have been while I was blinking...

Yeh, not much.  So far, the only instruction I've seen Hank give Rush sounds like a broken record.  "you need to flatten out your swing and get the back of your left hand facing the target at impact"

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

I too missed the instruction part.  I heard some advice while on the course but no instruction.  The show is becoming boring other than Rush's comments which are entertaining at times and Hank's Mrs who is easy on the eyes.

Butch

I too missed the instruction part.  I heard some advice while on the course but no instruction.  The show is becoming boring other than Rush's comments which are entertaining at times and Hank's Mrs who is easy on the eyes.

well, I mean more golf and more instruction then I saw w/ Ray.  I hated Ray...

In my Grom Stand bag:

Driver: Ping G20, 8.5 Tour Stiff
Wood/Hybrid: G20 3W, Raylor 19*, 22*
Irons: R9 5I - SW, TM CGB LW

Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi-Mid

Favorites: Old Ranch (Seal Beach), Ike/Babe (Industry Hills), Skylinks (Long Beach), Desert Willow (Palm Desert)

Yep.  I tend to agree.  I'll watch the show because I'm a Rush fan.  Others will watch hoping he falls on his face.  But whether you love him or hate him, you have to acknowledge the fact that he is driven and success-oriented.  My guess is that, before the show ends, he will have achieved some goals with regard to improvement of his golf game, and will have shown a level of respect to Hank Haney that you never saw with Ray Romano.

Should be interesting!

Note: This thread is 4300 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!