• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• 2020 TST Partners

PING Golf
    FlightScope Mevo
    • I sole the club, but lightly.  For me, I feel like I want both worlds, finding the right grip pressure and balance per hovering and finding my reference point for striking the ball by soling the club.  I also want to be consistent through all my clubs, and I definitely sole my irons.
    • 20°? That's a 5W. 🙂
    • He's most likely slicing from path, not lie angle. He can likely still slice it with a lie angle that's too flat OR too upright.
    • @ncates00, driving distance correlates to success only a little more than it did in 1984. Importance of Driving Distance Analyzing performance trends from 1984-2019. Furthermore, on the PGA Tour, the rough is still about a 70-yard penalty when you look at the resulting approach shot.
    • No, that's your question. Like I've said, I don't have to question it, just like I don't have to walk off a cliff to know that gravity will make that a one-time experiment. Why do I know the JV golf swing will lose distance? Because you're removing a lever and a speed-producing part with the torso rotation. This will be simplified a little bit, but the JV golf swing generates speed by moving (effectively) two things: the lead arm across the chest and the wrist-shaft angle - hinging/unhinging (or "lag"). The "traditional" swing (as if there is only just "one" type of swing) retains those two levers - the lead arm across the chest and the "lag" - and adds another: the rotation of the lead shoulder back and around. It doesn't move super fast in linear MPH, but it moves very fast rotationally, and acts as a moving platform against which the lead arm can act. A baseball player can throw a baseball 90 MPH from a mound, but put that mound on a flatbed rail car and make the train travel at 60 MPH, and he can throw the ball 150 MPH. The torso rotation isn't the dominant speed generator in the golf swing - that is still the arms - but there is no doubt that it adds speed to the clubhead. I don't have to walk off a cliff to know that gravity is going to make it a one-time deal. I have. I've made swings in a JV style swing. Someone above linked to my "pre-set drill" and it's pretty similar to the JV swing. I lose about 10% of my distance and would lose more except I tend to have far more than optimal shaft lean when I do this and so the ball launches about two clubs lower. The "why" is above. Now, if you were a "bad" golfer who flipped, had poor contact, etc. then you could see a "similar" distance with a swing that made it a bit easier to have good contact (or even, as with me, lower launch angles due to "too much" shaft lean). But that doesn't mean your swing speed is actually higher, or that you haven't put a "ceiling" on your improvement that's lower than your ceiling with a "traditional" swing. That's not accurate. There might not be an "abundant" number for a bunch of reasons, including the possibility that JV probably doesn't have that many students. That they have better things to do, that they moved on… whatever. Lots of reasons why there might not be an "abundance of people." It's very similar, yes. They do. They also… turn their shoulders quite a bit. Jamie Sadlowski can hit a driver 300 yards from his knees (even though he still gets to turn his torso a little bit)… what he can't do is hit it as far as he can letting his hips and torso fully rotate: There you go. An example of someone who has a lower ceiling. I suspect he hasn't published anything because it would show what science says it would show: a decrease in swing speed.
  • TST Blog Entries

• Blog Entries

• Today's Birthdays

1. Ailsa
      Ailsa
      (68 years old)
    2. davechen
      davechen
      (53 years old)
    3. Harry Humphries
      Harry Humphries
      (32 years old)
    4. LagShaft
      LagShaft
      (44 years old)

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...