IGNORED

Tiger's Back

saevel25
Note: This thread is 5007 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Here's an excellent article from Joe Posnanski I just saw on Golf.com:

http://www.golf.com/golf/tours_news/...998369,00.html

Basically, he says that Tiger still has great skills, but he now looks like everyone else now. He struggles where he used to excel, he has mental lapses where he used to be mentally impenetrable. He also had a very interesting thought on whether Tiger will win five more majors to pass Nicklaus:

"Five major championships is hall of fame career. It's MORE than a Hall of Fame career. Phil Mickelson has not won five majors in his career. Vijay Singh has not won five majors. Ernie Els has not won five majors. Raymond Floyd, Hale Irwin, Curtis Strange, Johnny Miller, none of these men won five majors. Davis Love, Greg Norman and Fred Couples have not won five majors combined. There's still a whole Seve Ballesteros career between Tiger Woods and the record. There's still a Byron Nelson between Tiger Woods and the record. He cannot break the record by being very good. He has to be transcendent again."

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BallStriker: why don't you read your posts back and understand exactly how much you are simply insinuating and deducing based on some completely pre-formed opinion. You...don't...know...EITHER guy, I don't care how intently you listen to some post-round interview, and I sure as hell you don't know jack about Jack and how 'gracious through and through' he may have been. Media coverage in his day was anemic compared to today, if that was even a valid way to 'know' someone, and I sincerely doubt you personally ran across the man to know his character.

I think everyone needs to realize is, the only thing we KNOW about these guys, is their golf skills, what they're capable of doing on a golf course. The guys that look like ideal little daddies and husbands and sons could be complete bastards off the course, and the guys who cry like babies or rant like maniacs could be humanitarians off the field. NO AMOUNT of media coverage will ever convey the truth. As they say, "walk a mile in their shoes" and then chime in all you want. Until then, I would really prefer this forum stick to the art and skill of playing this great game, and stop droning on like high school girls about who said what, who's nice, who's mean, who's not as good as.... I mean, seriously, did someone actually imply that Jack was better b/c he won with a local caddy, and that modern players somehow aren't as skilled because they 'rely' on a caddy? Jesus......

Nothing in the swing is done at the expense of balance.

If Phil was as dedicated, he wouldn't have man boobs

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. quote of the year.

WITB:

Fast 10 10.5* Driver  |  adams.gif Fast 10 15* 3 Wood  |  adams.gif Idea V3 19* Hybrid  |  titleist.gif 710 AP1 4-GW  |    55* and 60* Wedges  |  Lajosi KLP7J Putter

Colin007, go away. There isn't any animosity due to race. Tiger hasn't even ebraced his african american heritage, and the NAACP has based him for it. They think he should have become a spokes person for them, when he didn't speak out at all for any cause related to his african american heritage. People are pissed because he gets billions to screw around on the side. It wasn't him that forced you to buy nike gear, there wasn't a gun to your head.

are you for real? you dont agree so you tell me to go away? there is DEFINITELY a LARGE amount of racism in america and in golf. i am latino, my best friend/golf buddy is black, and you should see the looks we get ALL THE TIME. if you dont think there is resentment on the part of some (not all) of white america towards the success of a black man then you are sorely mistaken. also, that tiger doesnt embrace his black race doesnt matter at all, what matters is what others identify him as, which is primarily black. he can say hes whatever he wants but in the eyes of most he is black. and this is a problem for some out there. peace out. im leaving. be good.

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Tiger clearly isn't "back" he is still missing that undefinable quality about him that wills him to put away a tournament.. It's silly for us to think that just 8 months after his personal strife's started that he would be totally back mentally as well as physically... Give him a year (meaning this year). I truly believe next year the old Tiger will be back and the record will fall eventually to Tiger Woods.

However I realized this weekend that this is the first tournament that I was actually rooting against other players because Tiger was in the field and competing...

In The Bag
SQ 5000 10.5

SQ Sumo 3 wood
MP-32 3-PWGolden Bear Gap Wedge SV Sand Wedge MP T Lob WedgeYes Golf Callie Putter

BallStriker: why don't you read your posts back and understand exactly how much you are simply insinuating and deducing based on some completely pre-formed opinion. You...don't...know...EITHER guy, I don't care how intently you listen to some post-round interview, and I sure as hell you don't know jack about Jack and how 'gracious through and through' he may have been. Media coverage in his day was anemic compared to today, if that was even a valid way to 'know' someone, and I sincerely doubt you personally ran across the man to know his character.

Bravo!!! Well said. I too thought this was a golf forum. :-p

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

first of all, its prolly because we are talking about a black man in a white mans sport. there is deep seated and often times subconscious animosity.

First of all Tiger is not a "black man". His mother who produced half of his genetic makeup is Asian. Tiger Woods is as much Asian as he is black. His father was mostly a "black man" but with a mixture of races. So it is not about a "Black Man" playing a white man's sport. Tiger Woods is a well trained athlete with a sense of drama for the sport he plays. He is fun to watch when he is good and when he is not so good. I wish he had a better fan base.

Taylormade Driver HT
Taylormade 3 HT

Mcgregor 7w
Vulcan irons 5-P
Solus 53 61

Vokey 56

Scotty Caneron Flange/ Ping Cushin

Srixon ZStar

71 gold tees

bring cash

are you for real? you dont agree so you tell me to go away? there is DEFINITELY a LARGE amount of racism in america and in golf. i am latino, my best friend/golf buddy is black, and you should see the looks we get ALL THE TIME. if you dont think there is resentment on the part of some (not all) of white america towards the success of a black man then you are sorely mistaken. also, that tiger doesnt embrace his black race doesnt matter at all, what matters is what others identify him as, which is primarily black. he can say hes whatever he wants but in the eyes of most he is black. and this is a problem for some out there.

Tiger is identified as primarily black? Is the American population so retarded that we have to say "Tiger is black" or "Tiger is asian" Tiger is identified as black by idiots. He's identified as asian by idiots. He is half-black, and half-asian.

I golf with an black American kid and a Mexican all the time, and there's zero looks because he's black. If anything I get the looks for my shanks, and I'm the white male, I'm the most disenfranchised nowadays anyways, we all know it. No one cares about your black friend that golfs, so you can both get the chip off of your shoulders. Primarily black... You're an idiot. It's that way of thinking that fuels racism. That someone has to be identified as white, black, mexican, asian. We're Americans so F off.

In the Sasquatch Bag:

Driver: R9 460cc 9.5°
Hybrids: Big Bertha Diablo 21° 24°Wedges: SV Tour 52° 56° 60°Irons: Power Max TRX Ion Control 5-PWPutter: tm100 Tour PreferredBall: e6

Tiger is identified as primarily black? Is the American population so retarded that we have to say "Tiger is black" or "Tiger is asian" Tiger is identified as black by idiots. He's identified as asian by idiots. He is half-black, and half-asian.

To be technical, he's actually half Asian (one-quarter Chinese and one-quarter Thai), one-quarter African American, one-eighth Native American, and one-eighth Dutch.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

are you for real? you dont agree so you tell me to go away? there is DEFINITELY a LARGE amount of racism in america and in golf. i am latino, my best friend/golf buddy is black, and you should see the looks we get ALL THE TIME. if you dont think there is resentment on the part of some (not all) of white america towards the success of a black man then you are sorely mistaken. also, that tiger doesnt embrace his black race doesnt matter at all, what matters is what others identify him as, which is primarily black. he can say hes whatever he wants but in the eyes of most he is black. and this is a problem for some out there.

well to be fair, down in the south there are tons more blacks who play golf than up north. i hate to bring up politics, but it seems like the more liberal states i've played golf in: CA, NY, MA; society is tons more segregated. the only time i get looks on the course down here(i'm black) is when i play at a swanky expensive club, but it's more likely because i'm a new face cause i've never felt any animosity or heard any negative comments. i think most racism, not all, is perpetuated by those very people who adamantly claim not to be.

Calm down. I'm gonna do a little test. I'll head downstairs and ask the wife what she thinks about Tiger's ethnicity. Why? She's pretty intelligent and she'd never be accused of racism in a million years. Also, like many casual* golf or sports fans, she probably isn't aware of Tiger Woods' family tree.

Okay, I'm back. I interviewed my wife about her Tiger Woods knowledge and came up with the following information. - he's an "African American" - he's a golfer - he's tall - he wears Nike - he has some sort of sex addiction which caused him to cheat on his wife - his wife is beautiful - she's from Sweden - they're probably getting divorced I asked if she'd ever seen a picture of his father and if she was sure Tiger is African American. - No - Well, I think he's half Chinese or something, but if I said Halle Barry or Lenny Kravitz weren't African American someone would call me a racist * Casual sports fan - She just found out today (via Facebook) that Chicago won the Stanley Cup.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I don't hold her ignorance against her, a lot of people call Obama black, that doesn't make it true. I'm not saying ignorant in a bad way, either, Lord knows I'm not going to insult some random wife =) But considering America is extremely diverse it'd be a lot easier to just say that someone's American. What's the point in identifying someone by color? Oh wait, duh! You can use the color someone is to make a claim of racism! I forgot. You can also use color to call me an "angry white man"

Politically correctness drives me nuts. Tell your wife Tiger isn't African-American because he's not from Africa, and she's right about being called racist for calling Halle Berry (hot) white, which is sad, ignorant, and stupid. Technically calling Tiger Asian (apparently) is more accurate, so why is it racist? But to end on a high note and to joke a little bit with a fairly sensitive topic (shouldn't be but it is) ask your wife (sorry we're bringing her into this but she sounds cool and willing to play ball) what she knows about Jason Kidd. There's the whitest black man on the court right there. If you call him white, you're probably racist. If you call him black, you just sound silly.

Then we can all go watch Dave Chapell's racial draft.

In the Sasquatch Bag:

Driver: R9 460cc 9.5°
Hybrids: Big Bertha Diablo 21° 24°Wedges: SV Tour 52° 56° 60°Irons: Power Max TRX Ion Control 5-PWPutter: tm100 Tour PreferredBall: e6

Tigers Back? Sorry, that wasn't the Tiger of old Sunday. Tiger Woods of old would have closed that deal the way the field came flying back. Dustin, bless his heart I hope this doesn't hurt him in the future, started leaking oil crossing the bridge to the first tee. By the time he hit his tee shot on three he went to one of the Johnny-on-the-spot's and lost his cookies. The wee Irishman kicked the door open to where all Tiger need shoot was even par for the round to win. I think he is on his way back, but he's not there yet. Maybe by the British Open, maybe not.

As for his ethnicity, I just see him as a human being with some amazing talent and a malfunctioning brain. What else could explain his actions? We thought badly of Kobe, Michael J. for theirs as well, but sheesh Tiger. It's just a shame.

In my OU Bag: Driver 9.5 Neutral Fujikura Motore Stiff
3 Wood Big Bertha
Hybrid 21 degree
Irons Big Bertha 08 Model
Wedges 60 degreeFlatstick Original Answer Winn Midsize Grip Rock Pro V 1 Black"One of the reasons Arnie Palmer is playing so well is that, before each final round, his wife...

Saturday was a true example of why Eldrick Woods is so disliked by so many.
The first several holes he's cursing, and mooping around, looking all pouty. Then 12 holes later he's jumping around, dancing, fist pumping and acting like a 10 yr old.
Adding to all this is how the announcers suddenly start dumping praise on him again.
Bottom line.... Dustin Johnson calmly shoot 66 and never once changed expression. Eldrick shoots 66 and he's acting like a uncontrolled child.
Class, some people have it, some don't.

down in the south there are tons more blacks who play golf than up north. it seems like the more liberal states i've played golf in: CA, NY, MA; society is tons more segregated. the only time i get looks on the course down here (i'm black) is when i play at a swanky expensive club, but it's more likely because i'm a new face cause i've never felt any animosity or heard any negative comments. i think most racism, not all, is perpetuated by those very people who adamantly claim not to be.

Define 'more liberal' ???? I'm confused.

I'm 51 and I don't think people even pay attention to race on the golf course any longer. Non-whites may think so, but they need to realize that people look down on ALL other people, not just blacks. People have a way of (in their own minds) elevating themselves by looking down their noses at others. Me personally, on the Golf Course I don't like drunks, or loud-mouth Yankee's.

I guess Nick Faldo was the "classiest" golfer in history if showing no emotion is how you define class.

I guess you weren't a seve fan either?

It's nice to see some emotion from them, it show's they're human.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

• Administrator
OK guys, the title of this thread is "Tiger's Back," not "Tiger's Black," so let's keep the discussion to golf please.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 5007 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!