IGNORED

Shortening the driver shaft...

Note: This thread is 2361 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by fishontro

After several buckets, I can confirm that I am hitting my 9.5 983K way straighter and just as far if not further. Hitting the sweat spot more often IS producing.

There are a few things to consider in my case.

I am 6' and have a "wingspan" of 6'5". Yes, I  am still part gorilla.

My miss is a snap/duck hook. I am trying to keep my ball position off my left heel AND hold my the back of my left hand toward the target...VERY hard to do after 10 years of letting my right hand dominate the follow through.

Bottom line, it is working for me.

What did you end up using for shaft length? I am in the same boat as you (5'11 6'3 wingspan). I have a 46in now and it is way too long. Should I cut it down? If so, from what side? Or, should I get a new shaft? The drive is a Callaway Razr X Black 9.5 stiff shaft. Swing speed is 102-106 range.

I have a 910f 15* 3 wood that has a Diamana Kai'li 75 mid R-flex.  I dont like the feel of the regular flex.  It feels way to whippy to me.  I also think that it could be an inch shorter.  If I cut the tip end off an inch would this stiffen the shaft?  How much would it change it?  Would it be comparible to a Kai'li S-flex or wouldnt it change it that much?  Thank you.

Hopefully I'm better tomorrow

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

tipping does more for stiffness than cutting from the butt end.  How much difference it would make...I dunno?

btw, I watched a WITB video on another site and a pro who was 6'1" I think he said..uses a 44" driver.

My philosophy on golf "We're not doing rocket science, here."

Standard length for drivers used to be 44", but recently manufacturers have been making drivers longer and longer so they can boast improved distance.  But longer shafts are harder to control and may result in more mishits and lost distance and poor flight path. Its better to play a slightly shorter club and hit the sweet spot on the clubface consistantly.  That will give you better distance and keep you in the short grass.

• 3 weeks later...

Does shortening the shaft by 1/2 an inch really make a difference with accuracy and ability to find the sweet spot?  1/2 an inch is about a 1% decrese in shaft length.  Seems like such a tiny change.

Originally Posted by airguard

I'm confused:

If you take an inch off the butt end and then need the swing weight higher again, wouldn't you add weight inside the butt end under the grip?

nope, adding weight to the grip will make it a lighter swing weight even something as subtle as extra wrap of tape can have a noticeable effect. D2 to D1 or even more.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

Originally Posted by Paradox

tipping does more for stiffness than cutting from the butt end.  How much difference it would make...I dunno?

btw, I watched a WITB video on another site and a pro who was 6'1" I think he said..uses a 44" driver.

I would be very careful if cutting the tip. A lot of factors then come into play. Fulcrum point, kick point, heck even being able to fit into a ferrule without modification.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

• 2 weeks later...
I bought a superfast about 8 months ago and have had a love hate relationship with it. Finally the inconsistency made me investigate shortening the shaft. The pro force V2 stiff flex measured 47.25inch. I am 5"9' so I cut 2.5in of the butt end and have found the difference incredible. I have noticed minimal loss of length but I hit 10 fairways on Sat 42pts. feels like I'm swinging my 3 wood. Best thing I have ever done.

i have my 45,5 cut down to 44,75 and having great results

Dirver: Mizuno JPX 825 9,5 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 65 g.
3 wood: Mizuno JPX 825 14 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 75 g.
Hybrid: Mizuno JPX 825 18 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 85 g. 
Irons: Mizuno MP 59 3 / PW KBS Tour stiff shaft ( Golf Pride Niion )
Wedges: Taylormade ATV Wedges 52 and 58 ( Golf Pride Niion )
putter: Taylormade ghost series 770 35 inch ( Super Stroke slim 3.0 )
Balls: Taylormade TP 5

Glad you guys are getting good results with a driver length at 44.75. I'm also happy with mine at 45 and about 4 grams of lead tape around the back. Launch angle and distance are optimized.

:tmade: SLDRs 14* driver, 17* fairway, 19* and 22* hybrids | :odyssey: Versa White #1 putter

:nike: XR Pro 24*, 27*, 31*, 35.5*, 40*, 45*, 50* irons | :vokey: SM4 54*, 58* wedges

I'm looking into getting my driver cut as well. Indeed, I have the notoriously too-long Burner Superfast 1.0...

I'm 5'6"... would the old standard of 44" be a good start?

taylormade.gif Burner Superfast 1.0: 10.5* Driver, 15* 3-wood

adams.gif a5OS Hybrid/Irons Set: 3h-5h, 6-PW

adams.gif "Tom Watson Classic" Wedges: 52*, 56*, 60*
taylormade.gif Est 79 TM-770 Putter, "Fontana" Pattern

xFIXx

I'd say start at 45. You'll want to add lead tape to the head as well.

:tmade: SLDRs 14* driver, 17* fairway, 19* and 22* hybrids | :odyssey: Versa White #1 putter

:nike: XR Pro 24*, 27*, 31*, 35.5*, 40*, 45*, 50* irons | :vokey: SM4 54*, 58* wedges

Originally Posted by arturo28mx

Shortening the shaft  an inch or more causes a major reduction in swingweight. This is not trivial.

I've gnawed off 3/4" - 1" on several drivers and for some reason they never felt right over time afterwards, I wound up putting a graphite extension back on. But I do grip down on a regular length driver and it feels better. However, gripping down puts your hands around a "smaller diameter" section of the grip. So if I almost think if I wanted to constantly grip donw, I should install the next size larger grip to get back to the regular feel.

Yep went to my pro for a lesson and had it on a launch monitor. We are putting some lead in the head for a better feel, but as is, the fly distance was about 20 m down compared to a standard G25 that he gave me but the run was much better in the cut down burner. Net result, same same! Overall length. Ill take the improved accuracy everyday and bring on summer. That ping was very nice though, but I know what would be getting down if I came home with a new $450 driver. Isn't it funny how the little blondes can sometimes be the scariest.

I'm now on my second driver that's been cut down, and i am now 100% sure I hate it.  Just doesn't work feel right.  Went from an unaltered 910 D2 i was hitting beautiful 5-10 yard draws to a 913 D2 cut to 44.5" (really need to learn to stop tinkering) and now i'm missing everything right.  Thought it might be the swing, but when I hit the 910 it's back to high draws.

I've never added weight to the head on a cut driver to offset the change in swing weight, but i'd really just rather play the stock 45".

• 1 year later...

Bumping to the top because I'm looking for some advice. I am really struggling with slicing my driver. I hit every club in my bag straight, but the driver. I am hitting a Ping G25 and I am thinking about cutting down the shaft. I am a little over 5'7 and I just feel like I have no control with the driver. Good idea to cut it down? And how far should I take it?

Bumping to the top because I'm looking for some advice. I am really struggling with slicing my driver. I hit every club in my bag straight, but the driver. I am hitting a Ping G25 and I am thinking about cutting down the shaft. I am a little over 5'7 and I just feel like I have no control with the driver. Good idea to cut it down? And how far should I take it?

Welcome to TST.

Cutting the shaft might not be the answer. I have seen a couple golfers in the 5'5" range who use a full length club with no problems. Is your swing too steep at the top? Did you have someone look at it? Maybe you can post a Myswing thread and video and some of the other golfers/instructors can chime in and help you with your swing if that's part of the issue?

Please check out these two threads:

http://thesandtrap.com/t/38240/my-swing-video-threads-rules-please-read

http://thesandtrap.com/t/73197/so-you-joined-tst-and-posted-a-member-swing-thread

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I am 5' 4" and when I bought my Stage 2 Driver I was told not to cut it down.  Just choke down on the club if you want a shorter shaft.  It gives me more control and when I get to wide open par five I can grip it at the full length and let it rip.  In my opinion no reason to cut down the shaft of a Driver.

• Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 2361 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!