IGNORED

How often do you hit it "pure"?

Note: This thread is 5020 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

At the range, if you hit 10 balls with 6 iron, how many of them are "pure" hits? What I mean by "pure" is, your ball takes off like a rocket with an effortless swing.

When I was 15 capper, I probably "pured" it once every 40-50 shots. With my new swing, I hit it "pure" once about every 10 attempts.

My 2nd question is, if you "pure" it, how does your ball fly differently from other shots? In my case, it's high, straight and carries about 15 yards longer.

My Clubs
Driver - Nike SUMO 13* R flex
Wood - Cobra 5 wood 18* R flex
3-PW hybrids/irons - Mizuno MX-950 R flex
Wedge - Mizuno MX-950 51* Wedge - Cleveland CG14 56* 14*Putter - RifeBall - Taylormade TP LDP RED

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 10 shots with my 6 iron I hit it pure about 6 or 7 times out of ten. Other shots go straight or hook but my pure shots are high and long with a slight draw. It depends on the club for me though, my driver is good but doesn't have a good feeling.

Ozone Stand Bag............Tour Burner 10.5............MX-300 Project X 6.0............Marilyn 34"

On 10 shots with my 6 iron I hit it pure about 6 or 7 times out of ten. Other shots go straight or hook but my pure shots are high and long with a slight draw. It depends on the club for me though, my driver is good but doesn't have a good feeling.

I envy you.

My Clubs
Wedge - Mizuno MX-950 51* Wedge - Cleveland CG14 56* 14*Putter - RifeBall - Taylormade TP LDP RED

Out of 10 at the range I'll hit my 6 iron pure at least 7 times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the bag-

Driver- Ping Anser 9.5  Diamana Ahina
3 Wood-RBZ tour 15
Hybrid-RBZ tour 4 Irons-  Ping I20s 4-GW with soft stepped X100sWedges 58 and 54 SM4s with soft stepped X100s Putter- Ping TR Senita

I envy you.

If you saw my putting you wouldn't. ;)

Ozone Stand Bag............Tour Burner 10.5............MX-300 Project X 6.0............Marilyn 34"

Of 10 shots, I am lucky if 2 are pure, as in I hit it the best I possibly could. 6 others would be acceptable, as in I would be pleased with them if I hit them on the course, but they would still be mishit a little. 2 others would be unacceptable, as in I pulled/pushed them or hit them fat/thin.

Of 10 shots, I am lucky if 2 are pure, as in I hit it the best I possibly could. 6 others would be acceptable, as in I would be pleased with them if I hit them on the course, but they would still be mishit a little. 2 others would be unacceptable, as in I pulled/pushed them or hit them fat/thin.

When you hit it pure, does the ball fly the same distance?

My Clubs

Shot distances between a pure and slightly mishit ball for me are round 10 yards of distance, and a a few yards right or left with a mid iron. But, there are several factors here. Hitting on pure (ie on the sweetspot) is different than putting a perfect swing on the ball, and vice versa. Great swings with marginal contact yield different shot results than marginal swings and pure contact. The key to playing consistent golf is knowing these shot results well, and playing conservative enough that the odds come out in your favor.

Depending upon the hole and shot required, I will sometimes stretch an iron by counting on a perfect swing and contact. However, if the a short miss is bad, and there is less penalty going long, I'll often play an extra club to avoid a shorter mishit, with the understanding that at worst I'll be long.

At the range, I may hit 1 or 2 shots perfect out of 10 (once warm), with a good handful being shots I'd likely hit on the course that had slight swing or contact errors. The difference here is not catastrophic, really just the difference between a 5 foot putt and a 20 foot putt.

In the Bag: TaylorMade R11 TP - TaylorMade R7 TP TS - Cleveland Halo - TM TP 2009 3-PW - Vokey SM 52 - Vokey SM 60 - Rife Barbados CS - ProV1x 

On the Computer:  Analyzr Pro 

Didn't Jack say that he only hit maybe 1 or 2 pure shots per round? I would have to say out of 10, I might hit 2 that I consider "pure." I think that if you are hitting 7 "pure" out of 10, then you are really doing something

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks for all the responses.

Apparently, even low cappers hit slightly mis shots more often than pure shots.

As an 11 capper, I should focus more on making my mis shots more acceptable rather than trying to hit more pure shots.

I know these two objectives are related but it's a subtle difference in philosophy. I now know what to focus on when practicing.

My Clubs

I probably "pure" 3 or so shots out of 10 on average. It goes up and down sometimes and for me is completely tied to my tempo that day. I am playing player type CBs so I don't lose too much distance when I am slightly off. Occasionally I have that session where I scoot up to 8 or 9 out of 10 but alas, it doesnt last from session to session. I wish I could pure 7 out of 10 consistently as I could probably get down to scratch.....I do pure my putter most of the time though ;)

In the bag:
G-15 9 degree with Proforce V2
Ping Anser V-2
MP-52 3-PW, JPX-800 Pros 3-PW
52-08, 56-11 Vokeys G-15 15.5 3W G-10 5W

I hit it perfectly pure a few times a round, but I have practiced enough that my misses are not very large at all. Often I don't pure it yet still hit the green.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

When you hit it pure, does the ball fly the same distance?

It may go 5 yards further, but it would be dead on the target. My average mishits might go a similar distance, but be pulled or pushed. My really crappy ones, such as those hit off the toe, go 15 yards short and 10 yards right. Obviously, if I hit it fat it goes nowhere.

What I have learned is to take enough club so that my average shot goes the distance I want. If I hit it pure, it may go a little longer but it not enough to miss the green. If the pin is at the back of the green I use the yardage to the center. Average contact = center of green, pure contact = at the hole.

I would say out of 10 full 6 iron shots after being fully warmed up, I would pure 1 and at most 2 of them. Another 5-6 would be well hit but pushed/pulled a little and probably 5-10 yards short of the pured shots. The last 2-3 would be mishit a little more, with maybe a big push or hook, or really thin/fat.

I usually play for my average shot, and my 6 iron flies around 175-180, on average. When I pure it, it flies 185-190, so if I have a 6 iron in my hand, I won't hit unless I have AT LEAST 190 to the back of the green!
Golf appeals to the idiot in us and the child. Just how childlike golf players become is proven by their frequent inability to count past five. ~John Updike

In my stand bag:
Driver: 983k 10.5*3 Wood: Sumo2 15*Irons: 690cb 2-PWWedges 54* and 58* oil can finishPutter: White hot mallet

It may go 5 yards further, but it would be dead on the target. My average mishits might go a similar distance, but be pulled or pushed. My really crappy ones, such as those hit off the toe, go 15 yards short and 10 yards right. Obviously, if I hit it fat it goes nowhere.

Great advice!

My Clubs

Agreed. It's funny how the definition of pured changes as you get better. 5 yards difference is huge. Just this past week, I was left with 115 yards to a back pin and tried to hit a smooth, 3/4 PW. Well, I "pured" that one and ended up long... which was completely dead. A double bogey later and I was kicking myself for not aiming at the center of the green and taking the easy uphill two-putt at worse.

Depends on the club. Pitching wedge...probably 8 or 9/10. Longer irons..probably 5/10.

R9 9.5*
MP630 3 Wood
MP630 CLK Hybrid 17*
MP-32 3-pw Rifle Project X 6.0
56*10 satin & 60*10 oil can Method #1

Note: This thread is 5020 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!