IGNORED

Traveling with your clubs

Note: This thread is 4050 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have a trip coming up soon and have been searching trying to find if the golf equipment can be checked-in as a 1st or 2nd bag. I know I can check-in at most 2 bags of up to 50lbs each and 62 inches in dimension. But on some airlines there is an additional fee for the second bag checked in and that's fine. But if they don't count as luggage then that would be counted as an overweight/over-sized item and it costs about twice as much. Anybody been flying recently and know how the fees are applied?

Thanks.

I have flown United, American, US Air and SWA lately. It's about $25-30 to check the 1st bag. You get charged for a 2nd checked bag on most major carriers.
Like the other posts SWA 2 bags up to 50lbs each are free. You can sometimes get a discount checking in and paying for you bags online before going to the airport. United would not let me check in golf clubs on line. Check the airline's web site for details on baggage policy.

Depending where you are going, travel light !! You get one carry on and a personal item. I packed all of my clothes in the carry on and a 'personal item' on the, except the liquids and gels. I stuffed them into my golf bag ,which I checked, for TSA screening reasons. I didn't wanted to be hassled over how much tooth paste I was carrying. I bought a few goodies and don't pack very well on my return flights, so I stuffed some of my dirty laundry into my golf bag, to make more room for my carry on and personal item.

Of the several flights I have taken, United managed to put a nice rip into my soft travel bag, luckily I didn't spend too much on it to be overly upset, but a bummer none the less. The soft bag is nice in that they are easier to fit into those tiny rental cars and they fold up small too, just not as durable to the apes that work baggage at the airports and the bag eating baggage claim. Another note some airports don't deliver you clubs with all the other bags. I found this out the hard way waiting for clubs that were sitting with all the other odd sized bags. so ask around at baggage claim.

Where are you playing anywhere fun ?

United treats a golf bag as a standard suitcase (and standard fees apply) as long as it's in a proper travel bag. Not sure about other airlines, but if you either wander through their websites or call their customer service lines, they should be able to tell you what to expect.

A friend of mine had his travel bag mutilated by an airline last week. It worked out well, though, as nothing inside was damaged and they cut him a check for $150 on the spot. He stopped off at the golf shop and bought a new bag for $80 and came out well ahead for the inconvenience.

Hey everyone i'm in the same predicament. I am going to weight mine sometime this week but how much do gold bags with clubs usually weight? I am flying southwest out of Las Vegas to Washington State. Just wanted to know if you guys had any more tips that I should look for when flying with my clubs.....thanks in advance.....oh and I did buy a "club glove stiff arm" not sure if that matters!~Chris

Just flew AA last week with clubs and bag checked. Going out to FL from CA, they charged me $60. Coming home, I had an option at the check-in kiosk to upgrade to 1st class for $90. Here's the kicker, the bags were free and got priority status. And of course, the meal and drinks made the upgrade very worthy, in my mind.

Note: This thread is 4050 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!