IGNORED

Hitting the ball too high (not fat)

Note: This thread is 5011 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I just purchased a Taylor Made Burner for my 12 son. The nice thing is that he is now hitting the ball onto the fairway more often, and his score has been coming down. He is also hitting it further, but he has a tendency to hit it high in the air which affects the distance the ball travels. It's not like the ball goes 300 feet in the air and lands 50 yards away, but it may go about 200 feet in air and land around 160 yards out. When he hits it properly he drives about 200 to 220 yards. We can't figure out what he is doing wrong. For what it's worth, he is 5'2" and the club has been fitted for him. Any advice would be appreciated.

(take my advice with a lot of salt; about a ton would do)

Whenever I hit it higher than far (or so it seems); I've teed the ball up too high. Try lowering it by about 1/4 inch?

The kickpoints can be surprisingly low on some clubs; my 3 wood I barely tee higher than a normal iron otherwise I sky it.

What degree is his driver?

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Is he flipping?
Driver R7 Superquad NV 55 shaft or Bridgestone J33 460 NV 75 shaft
3 and 5 Wood X
Hybrid original Fli Hi 21* or FT 22*
Irons AP2
Wedges Vokey 52* - 8 , 56* 14, 60*-7Putter California CoranodoBall TP RedGPS NeoRange Finder- Bushnell Tour V2 When Chuck Norris puts spin on the ball, the ball does not...

When I was his age I was the same.

He's not generating enough clubhead speed, there's not enough power too keep the ball going so it just dies at the top of the arc.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

When I was his age I was the same.

It doesn't really work that way, he has clubhead speed because the ball has to get that high somehow.

Was he fitted for the shaft? If not than that is the problem. If he was then it's a swing issue.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Sounds like a simple case of hitting the ball dangerously close to the crown. It's like a full on pop up, but catches enough of the face to get some distance. The bottom of his swing arc with his driver is probably in front of the ball (like a good iron shot would have)

Either tee it lower, or check his swing to make sure he isn't leaning forward at impact.

Sounds to me like flipping, no forward shaft lean at impact. Possibly weight too far back also. Have him do some of the drills below, see what happens.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Sounds like a simple case of hitting the ball dangerously close to the crown. It's like a full on pop up, but catches enough of the face to get some distance. The bottom of his swing arc with his driver is probably in front of the ball (like a good iron shot would have)

I would agree with this. The tell-tale sign to me is that some of his swings are fine (200 - 220), yet others are (160). The club doesn't change between swings. So, check the swing, ball positioning and tee height for consistency.

:titleist: :scotty_cameron:
915D3 / 712 AP2 / SC Mont 1.5

I doubt it, I agree with Zeph on this one. He would know if he was hitting it that high on the face.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I doubt it, I agree with Zeph on this one. He would know if he was hitting it that high on the face.

In my bag:

I just purchased a Taylor Made Burner for my 12 son. He is also hitting it further, but he has a tendency to hit it high in the air which affects the distance the ball travels. It's not like the ball goes 300 feet in the air and lands 50 yards away, but it may go about 200 feet in air and land around 160 yards out. When he hits it properly he drives about 200 to 220 yards. We can't figure out what he is doing wrong. .

Are you taking the Headcover off first? (sorry, I couldn't resist)

He has to be teeing it too high, and probably hitting off his back foot too. Also may have the ball to far forward in the stance.

[QUOTE=cornbread: "Are you taking the Headcover off first?"

Ohhh, he's supposed to take the headcover off?

Ball posistion and tee it a little lower. If i move the ball an inch back it makes a huge difference in my trajectory. Just go to the range and find out what work best. Youll figure it out quickly by making these changes.

Gibson Bay Golf Course

Note: This thread is 5011 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!