IGNORED

best golf courses played

Rezgolf
Note: This thread is 3369 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been playing courses in both Europe and the US but coming up with just a few of the best with a short motivation would leave the list as this -

1. Kingsbarns - Scotland, just outside the city of St. Andrews - I played it in early may and this course is a real beast when the wind is on. Add to it a lot of beautiful views and awesome architecture from the course designer and you have a great experience. This is the first time I've ever told myself several times "I don't have this shot in the bag, there is no way you can make this". A 78 (+6) made me real happy the day we played it. Cost was 200 british pounds but well worth every single penny.

2. St. Andrews, Old Course - Doesn't really need any kind of motivation. Sure the course is real short but the historical importance of it and just the big smile on your face cause of the simple fact that you're really there makes it one of the best courses I've ever played.

3. I can't really decide right now there are a lot of great courses up there, both in the US and in Europe. I will get back to you!

Kingsbarns was indeed excellent. But I could not stop thinking it was basically man-made. St Andrews is the opposite so has the scent of authenticity. For the same reason I am not so keen to play Whistling Straits which is entirely bull-dozer made. The more natural courses seem to be truer golf. I know that architects are needed to mould the land into an actual golf course but that should be to a minimum. Other brilliant and natural UK courses are Carnoustie, Turnberry and Birkdale. In the US the king is Pebble Beach. Alister McKenzie had the philosophy of using the land and making only minimal changes. Royal Melbourne's land is perfect for golf, Augusta screams golf paradise, Cypress point (apparently) is amazing. Its the land.that makes the course.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Jasper park lodges golf course. Amazing simply amazing. Another stanly Thompson design whirpool at niagra falls. Yes these course may not stack up to the courses in the states but hey it's Canada

• 2 weeks later...

It might be a bit far from the US (I am from Germany myself) but for those golf fanatics amongst you, who might want to visit Europe,

I can recommend a beautiful golf resort as a break from all the sightseeing in Tuscany. I went here with my wife and two friends who came over from San Francisco for a 2 week trip in Northern Italy.

The golf resort in Tuscany is called Castelfalfi, and it's a collection of historical buildings which have been transformed into a 5-star golf resort. Along with epic backdrops of the surrounding nature, the rolling hills and beautiful sunsets, this place has a world-class golf course, where my friend and I played golf for several days, and took breaks in between to dine some amazing Italian cuisine.

Maybe a long shot, but for those planning to go on a Europe trip, this place is definitely worth visiting!

A month ago I played Arcadia Bluffs located in Manistee County Arcadia, MI. It has all the characteristics of British golf - heather, pot bunkers with steps, beautiful views overlooking a large body of water. The greens were the toughest I have ever played. Multi-tiered greens with undulations and the largest greens of any course I have played. It's a bucket list course.

A month ago I played Arcadia Bluffs located in Manistee County Arcadia, MI. It has all the characteristics of British golf - heather, pot bunkers with steps, beautiful views overlooking a large body of water. The greens were the toughest I have ever played. Multi-tiered greens with undulations and the largest greens of any course I have played. It's a bucket list course.

I was in that general area of the country a couple weeks ago. I only managed to squeeze in rounds at Quail Ridge, Highlands, and Eagle Eye. I wish I had made the drive up to Arcadia Bluffs.

• 2 weeks later...
Doral- blue monster Torrey pines south Kittansett- Marion,ma Tpc Boston Slammer&Squire; world golf village Turner hills- Ipswich,ma Vesper CC- Tyngsboro,ma ( my home track) a great Donald Ross course

My Top 10

1. Oak Tree National  (Okla)

2. Pebble Beach        (Cali)

3. Whistling Straights (Wis)

4. KoOlau Golf Club    (Ha)

5. Torrey Pines           (CA)

6. Blackwolf Run         (WI)

7. Cog Hill                  (ILL)

8. Circling Raven         (ID)

9. Wailea (Gold)          (HA)

10. Reflexion Bay        (NV)

I've played golf in the US, Canada, New Zealand, Mexico, Barbados, Dominican Republic and Trinidad & Tobago.

Lots of nice tracks, but my most memorable are...

Punta Espada, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic.

Apes Hill, Barbados.

Teeth of the Dog, Dominican Republic.

1. Kapalua – Plantation, Maui

2. Caves Valley, MD

3. Baltimore CC – East, MD

4. Pinehurst No. 2, NC

5. Torrey Pines – South, CA

6. TPC Stadium Course, PGA West, CA

7. Sugarloaf Golf Club, ME

8. River Bend CC, VA

9. Algonguin, St. Andrews-by-the-Sea, St. Stephen NB

10. TPC Potomac at Avenel Farms, MD

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

• 11 months later...

Best Golf Courses in YOUR Country ?

Best Golf Course in The World ?

In my country Vietnam, best golf courses in Vietnam:

* Danang Golf CLub has won the major award: “Vietnam’s Best Golf Course 2012-2013” and the award for: “Vietnam’s Best Par 3 Course for Hole #8”

* The Montgomerie Links has won the title:  “Vietnam’s Best Championship Course”

* Hyundai Song Gia Golf Resort: “Vietnam’s Best Golfing Experience Course”

* Vinpearl Golf Club: “Vietnam’s Best Landscape Course

* Sky Lake Resort & Golf Club: “Vietnam’s Most Challenging Course”

* Vietnam Golf & Country Club: “Vietnam’s Best Caddies Course”

* King’s Island Golf Resort: “Vietnam’s Best Tourism Attractiveness Course”

* Sea Links Golf & Country Club: “Vietnam’s Best Par 3 Course for Hole #8”

* Heron Lake Golf & Resort: “Vietnam’s Best Par 4 Course for Hole #14”

* Van Tri Golf Club: “Vietnam’s Best Par 4 Course” for Hole #8

* Do Son Seaside Golf Resort: “Vietnam’s Best Par 5 Course” for Hole #18

* Song Be Golf Club: “Vietnam’s Best Par5 Course for Hole #9 (Desert Course)

Out of area:

- Wolf Creek, NV

- Rio Secco, NV

- World Woods, Tampa

- Sand Hollow, UT

Local:

- Conklin Players Club

- Ballyowen

- Royce Brook

- Jack Frost National

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Pine Valley

Shinnicock Hills

Oakmont

Winged Foot

Ridgewood

Pacific Dunes

Bandon Dunes

Indian Creek

Pinetree

Seminole

Merion

My favorites from that group are Shinnicock Hills and Pacific Dunes. Shinnicock is just awesome from the first tee to the 18th green and Pacific Dunes is the most fun and interesting .Of the private clubs, Pine Valley was the most accomodating and friendly and  at Seminole, the whole place had a nose-in-the-air attitude about it.

After going to Ireland, I have to revise this a bit. My top 5 would now be:

Shinnicock Hills

Lahinch

Oakmont

Tralee

Pacific Dunes

Bill M

Note: This thread is 3369 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!