IGNORED

PW/52/56/60 vs PW/52/58

Note: This thread is 3943 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My wedges are my most consistent clubs. I was using PW (Adams A4 is 45 loft), 50-08 and 56-11, but just switched to PW, 50, 54-11, 58-08. I wanted a low bounce high loft wedge for 40 to 60 yard pitches from tight lies and chips from tight lies that need some loft, so I added the 58. The 56 is great club, but the 54 will do almost the same. The Vokeys will stop my NXT Tour ball on one hop very consistently.
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I use a 46* PW, then a 51 then a 58. I would have a 52 to make even gaps, but the MX series comes in weird lofts. I find having less options means i play the same shots more often, and get better at them through repetition. Less shot choice also means I am more decisive and make commitment to my shots.

I used to play four wedges, but now play three and I'm in the PW (48), SW (54), LW (60) camp. From the PW, I gap my other clubs down for the longer irons. I like this because it gives me two sand wedge options, the 60 for normal green side bunkers, and the 54 if I need a little extra distance or a little more run out, and the same options for pitch shots around the green when the wind is blowing. Into the wind the 54 works a little more reliably for me than the 60. The only other choice I would make now is a 48, 52, and 58, but I like the 60 best for short sided shots.

I use a 46* PW, then a 51 then a 58. I would have a 52 to make even gaps, but the MX series comes in weird lofts. I find having less options means i play the same shots more often, and get better at them through repetition. Less shot choice also means I am more decisive and make commitment to my shots.

Just visit a club fitter, from 51 to 52 is done in a few moments.

I just switched out my MP 60 for a higher bounce Hogan 60 due to the wet fairways - Alberta's had a lot of rain this month.

Regarding comments people make about hitting all the wedges every round, but not hitting all their longer clubs: I can hit everything from a 5-iron to a driver every round - off the tee. Guys that don't hit 1/2 their long clubs do so by choice. If I'm guaranteed to use every wedge every round, I need to work on improving my GIR percentage.

Now that I have a good set of irons (forged blades) I end up taking the 52 out when I'm playing a competitive round most of the time. Why? My iron set now has 'traditional' lofts not juiced up GI lofts with tons of offset to boot, and the irons in general offer me more feel and feedback.

I'm thinking about shitcanning the Watson set altogether (they were a bandaid to begin with) and going out and getting vokeys or some CG15s. I'm actually not playing the CG12 in my sig because it got bent really badly to the point where it was unfixable.

If nothing else, this thread clearly shows that people use everything under the sun. I would propose that how you use wedges is much more important than exactly what wedges you use. Other than the need for at least one wedge with a larger bounce angle, the skilled golfer could probably make do with almost anything given to him/her in a variety of situations.

I am currently using the stock Powerbilt Air Foil Nitrogen filled PW 45* 105 yds; Cavity Back AW 50* 75-85 yds and Cavity Back SW 55* 65 yds.

https://www.powerbilt.com/cart/index.../irons-n7.html

They seem to be working fine as I have plummeted from a 21 Hcap In March to a 14. the Nitrogen filled irons allow for a thinner clubface that yields more trampoline effect for my slower 87 mph swing speed.....and this weekend I shot a 41/35 = 76 on my home course (Par 71) @ Pebble Creek in Tampa.

I have a Callaway X Tour set PW 48*, AW 52* & SW 56* in the garage, sitting beside a Vokey 58*.

If the Powerbilts begin to fail, then I have a decent backup.....until then, Thanks Powerbilt!

Note: This thread is 3943 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!