IGNORED

Do you really need a driver in your bag?

Fastrack
Note: This thread is 3993 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On the course I play most often, I could probably make my longest club be my 3 hybrid and not change my score. On the other hand, there are not many holes where a slightly errant driver is a penalty, and it is fun!

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I carry my driver but let the yardage of the hole, shape of the hole, and the type/location of trouble on the hole dictate whether I hit driver, 3wood, or hybrid.  I think it is all about course management.

If I can get within 130 yards of the green with something other than driver, I'm not hitting driver.  And, I definitely don't like yardages less than 85 yards where I have to carry some sort of trouble.

Now, if I am just out playing for fun, no bets, nothing to lose...I will hit driver almost every opportunity I can just to see what kind of shots I can pull off with it.

Bag: Titleist
Driver: TM RBZ 9.5
Fairway metals: TM RBZ 3 wood
Hybrids: TM RBZ 3, 4 and 5
Irons: TM Burner 1.0 6 thru LW stiff steel shafts
Putter: Ping B60
Ball: TM Tour Preferred X or ProV1x
Check out littlejohngolfleague.com  A Greater Houston TX traveling golf league.

I've gone back and forth, mostly because in the past it was hard to control and I hit a 3w longer than most. I've put in a considerable amount of practice over the winter and with a new shortened driver I've straightened it out. Now I can't imagine playing without it. It's a strategic difference as much as a distance difference. Mostly on short par 5's. Which were still reachable when my longest club was 3w but a good driver on these holes gets me to 5h and 6i 2nd shots. I still don't pull it every time there's a par 4 in front of me, just when the risk justifies it. If for no other reason than the courses I've played many times feel different playing that way.

Dave :-)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 3993 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!