IGNORED

So how does YOUR blow up hole happen?

tws1098
Note: This thread is 5027 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Obviosly with a handycap like mine...(not a handycap, just an estimation), my blow up holes come from a multitude of directions. Sometimes I think I just can't stand success. Just the other day I hit a nice drive right down the middle, and followed it up with a nice fairway wood about 10 yards short on a 440 yard par 4. I then proceed to chunk, chunk, chunk, then 2 putt for a 7. I was just so close to a good hole... then it blows up in my face.

I know what you mean. On a shorter par 4 (300ish yards) last time out, I hit a great 2H off the tee, good wedge shot to just off the elevated green and close to the hole. I'm in good shape for par or at worst bogey. I then skull my chip over the green, do it again, overcompensate and hit almost straight up and maybe 3 feet forward, then skull past the green a 3rd time, finally get on, and 3 putt. What should've been 4 or 5 turned into 10 strokes. I think my short game needs work, lol.

In the blue Colts bag:

Driver - FT-5 10°
Hybrids - 4DX 15.5°, 20°
Irons/Wedges - CI-7 4-GW, SW | "Free" Warrior 60° LWPutter - TiffanyBalls - various

Not sure why but par 3 holes are the death of me lately. I don't know if I'm getting up to the tee and psyching my self out or what but I have been either pushing or pulling the ball off the tee and then frustrated about my tee shot on my second shot I will hit a terrible chip and by the time I'm done I've doubled or tripled the damn hole

I usually hit a drive OB. Last time I played I shot an 88. Had a skyhook OB on #15, two-putt pars on #16 and #17, and a banana slice OB on #18. This is frustrating, because I landed 9 of 14 tee shots in the fairway that day.

Previous round I shot a 99: Had 3 OB, 1 lost ball, and 2 unplayable lies... 10 penalty strokes in all.

Another occasional problem: Medium-length par 3 (170-190 yds.) with OB left. I somehow find the OB with a straight pull.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Needing to find a yardage marker for my 4th shot on a par 3. But actually a drive in the trees, punching out, missing the green on my third shot.

My blow up usually starts when I go in to pay my greens fees.

Story of my life.

3W - Sumo2 Graphite R Flex
19*, 22* 08 Tour Burner Rescue Graphite R Flex
5-PW - Slingshot OSS
56*, 60* - CG11
Putter - White Hot XG RossieBall: Whatever's on sale

I know what you mean. On a shorter par 4 (300ish yards) last time out, I hit a great 2H off the tee, good wedge shot to just off the elevated green and close to the hole. I'm in good shape for par or at worst bogey. I then

Please, Please, Please! Stop trying to "pitch" when you're close to the green, and instead start "chipping" by using an iron but with a putting stroke. No chance of skulls - the worst that can happen is you run it by the hole or not far enough, but you will be on the green.

HiBore 10.5 driver
GT-500 3- and 5-woods
Bazooka JMax 4 Iron Wood
Big Bertha 2008 irons (4 and 5 i-brids, 6i-9i,PW)
Tom Watson 56 SW Two-Ball putter

Please, Please, Please! Stop trying to "pitch" when you're close to the green, and instead start "chipping" by using an iron but with a putting stroke. No chance of skulls - the worst that can happen is you run it by the hole or not far enough, but you will be on the green.

I really should do that more. Most of my chips like that with a 7 or 8 iron (a tip I read here) work out fairly well, and it's idiot proof. I am being stupid chasing after the perfect roll-up to the hole, I know. At my level I should just try to get on the green and two putt.

In the blue Colts bag:

Driver - FT-5 10°
Hybrids - 4DX 15.5°, 20°
Irons/Wedges - CI-7 4-GW, SW | "Free" Warrior 60° LWPutter - TiffanyBalls - various

Mine always follow a familiar formula:

1. Hit OB or lost ball off tee.
2. Hit again off tee, now lying 4, probably in trouble (woods, fwy bunker, short tee shot, etc.)
3. Try the hero shot since I'm already lying 4, only to duff said shot
4. Finally hit one near the green
5. Duff my chip or otherwise don't land it close
6. 2-putt at best (sometimes 3-putt)
7. Card my 9 or 10

The interesting thing about my last two blowup holes (1 blowup over each of the last two rounds), is that I was in good position on both holes.

In the first round, I was in the fairway off the tee on a par 5 with about 190 to the green. Hit a weak hook with a 4-iron that left me in the left rough about 35 yards short of the hole. I can get up and down for birdie, and it was a relatively easy shot, as long as I got it up over the bunker directly between me and the pin. Of course I didn't. Ended up with triple bogey.

In the 2nd round, I pushed a 3 wood into the right rough. I had to cut a shot slightly around a tree to attack the green. Not a great shot, not a poor shot, about 10 yards short of the green to a front pin location. Up & down gets me par. Instead I go way too strong on the chip. Ended up with double bogey.

The common denominator in both is that I 3-putted both holes. Considering I only 3-putt twice the rest of both rounds combined, I'd say I allowed the blow-up to get to me mentally. I also didn't have more than bogey on any other holes in each of those rounds, and they were still my best two rounds of the last 2 months. Truly blow-up holes.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

When it happens for me it is because of a poor tee shot that then results in missing the green. I then try too hard to make par and end up bogeying or worse.

It's a fun game.

In my bag:
Driver: R5 TP Diamana 83s Shaft
Fairway: Burner 15 degree Fujikura REAX
Hybrid: Custom 19 degree
Irons: DCI 990 S300 4-PW

Wedges: NF 52.04*, Spin Milled 56.10* and 60.08*

Putter: Red X3

Ball: ProV1

Shoe: Tour 360 LTD

1. Water right - OB.
2. Drop.
3. Water right or woods left - OB.
4. Drop.
5. Fly the green.
6. Chip.
7. Putt.
8. Putt.

Even par through 9 is my best.  I don't even want to think about what was my worst.

My blowup hole happens on about hole 16 or later... Especially now that it is extremely hot and humid out. I get tired and lose focus and my mechanics break down. Sometimes I recover, but usually I'm not that lucky haha. Usually starts with a bad tee shot that gets the nasty slice back, then I hit a shot fat or something and by the time I get to the green I'm so frustrated that I have to putt at least 4 times.

HookEmHorns

In my 14 Xtreme bag:

Driver Burner 10.5*3 Wood Rawlings 15*5 Wood Ignite 19*Irons S2 Max 4-GWPutter Rossa Corza Ghost 35" Next to be replaced: 3 wood. All Rawlings junk has got to go. haha

Note: This thread is 5027 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!