IGNORED

Pet Peeves

AceDunk
Note: This thread is 3920 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Ugly cart girls.

Just kidding.

I hate people with extremely short tempers. Makes it awkward and ruins the fun.

Anything else I can handle pretty good I think.

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

Originally Posted by Valleygolfer

Golf courses without ranges.

Playing with friends that do not want to warm up.

People who talk at any time you address the ball.

Golf courses lined with houses on the right side :P

omg... me2!!!

Driver:callaway.gifBig Bertha 460cc 10* Hybrids: adams.gif A7 3-4H  Irons: adams.gif A7 5i-PW
Wedges: cleveland.gifCG 12 50*, CG 14 56*, CG12 60* Putt Putt:odyssey.gif White ICE Tour Bronze 1 Putter

Originally Posted by VinoGolfer

Man, I just took up golf but I've been reading so many threads where it seems folks do things specifically designed to provoke a physical confrontation, possibly hurt someone else, or just generally act like high school kids that I am feeling like this was the wrong sport to hope to find relaxation, fun, and commeradie doing!

Don't give up based on this thread.  It can be alot of fun and relaxing.  Main thing is to not take it to seriously, it's too hard of a game to get down on yourself or playing partners when things are going south.  I have always said, that if you don't have a good sense of humour you shouldn't be playing golf.

People who tell you how to play golf. I want to use this club and do this. You can do whatever you want.

2013 Goal:

Single digit handicap

Yea Matt,

Cannot stand people who tell me how to play or give me help with my swing.  I'm no pro, but I'm also not a beginner and yet they still find ways to give me advice.  I just want to play in peace!

People who like to use a round of golf to talk and talk and talk and talk.

I'm on the golf course to relax, enjoy the scenery and play golf, not to stand over my tee shot/putt trying to concentrate while hearing you blabbering about what your wife said the other day or how much your boss is loving your work or this hot chick you met the other night etc. Talk to me before golf. Talk to me after golf but when my feet touch the turf STFU!

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

The other day on a really tight par4 slight dogleg 410 yd hole I really cranked a good drive to 70 yds away. The tee box is elevated way above the fairway but I guess that makes it like a 340yd drive + roll. AKA Best drive of the year.. No1 else in our group of 4 even used a driver the rest laid up with 3-4i's.

However on the 2 holes before this one I managed to pick my head up and top my 2nd shot both times.

So I start lining up my 2nd shot with my lob wedge and my playing partner has the gall to tell me

"Dont even pick your head up, to see where it goes ill watch it for you"

Obviously this was enough to cause me to pick my head up and catch the ball thin and sail the green turning a surefire bird or par into a double UGH!!!

I dont mind chit chatting on the course just when I address the ball SHUT UP!

Driver:callaway.gifBig Bertha 460cc 10* Hybrids: adams.gif A7 3-4H  Irons: adams.gif A7 5i-PW
Wedges: cleveland.gifCG 12 50*, CG 14 56*, CG12 60* Putt Putt:odyssey.gif White ICE Tour Bronze 1 Putter

Talking inappropriately is a big one.  I don't mind a conversation, and since I usually play with strangers I like to get to know them a bit during the round, but you need to be very aware of the surroundings when having a conversation.  Don't start a long train of thought as we approach our balls or the putting green, and if you do, don't be offended if I ask you to put it on hold while I (or someone nearby) takes their shot.  There will be plenty of time for conversation walking to the next tee or waiting for the group ahead to clear.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

Players who don't check the position of other players - if you're having an off-day and you're all over the place, they keep getting in your line of play.

When you walk, people who constantly ask you if you want to get into their cart for a lift. I realize they're being nice, but after a number of polite refusals, it gets tiring. I'll get in if I feel I'm slowing up play, but usually, that's rarely the case.

When you're a walker and get paired up with another player with a cart and it's just a twosome, you feel like you're slowing up the other player. I'll try and get the cart guy to go ahead if possible.

Most of my peeves are from courses, culture, the mindset set for carts.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

People who practice swing in your line of sight, especially their driver, while you're trying to hit your tee shot.

Joe Paradiso

"What happened there?"

I hate that question.  Played 9 holes last Friday evening to get some practice in.  First hole, I hit a perfectly struck 3 wood.  Everything about it was beautiful.  My tempo, the sound of the ball off the face of the club, the little draw against the left-to-right wind.  It was awesome.  One of the guys I got paired with asked if I do that every time.  I laughed and said I wished I could... but it was likely going to be my only one of the day.

8 iron from the fairway rode the wind perfectly to the front pin location, leaving me 15+/- feet away.  I ended up making par, just burning the left edge of the hole on the birdie attempt.

Tee shot on #2 was crushed, but pulled a little bit.  The ball sat down in the rough and I had about 250 to reach the middle of the green.  Not even close to reachable for me (I'd have to be inside 230 to even attempt it and it's unlikely I'll reach anything further than 215).  I pulled a hybrid to get the ball back out into the fairway... but instead, I topped it horribly and it stayed in the rough.  Did the same thing on the next swing, but it found its way into the fairway.

As I'm walking to the ball... the same guy who asked me the question after my tee shot on #1 looks at me and says... "What happened there?"

I shrugged my shoulders and told him I had no idea.  I hit a 5 iron from the fairway short and to the right of the green.  Dude doesn't shut up.  "Seriously... what happened?  You played the first hole perfectly.  How does that happen?"

I glared at him and finally responded... "I'm a 16 handicap.  This is the reason why I'm not a professional.  I lack the consistency to play every hole like I played the first hole otherwise I'd be out making millions like Tiger and Phil.  Instead, I'm paired with guys wearing jeans and a sweatshirt to a county course."

He didn't ask me any more questions about my game the rest of the evening.

CY

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinoGolfer View Post

Man, I just took up golf but I've been reading so many threads where it seems folks do things specifically designed to provoke a physical confrontation, possibly hurt someone else, or just generally act like high school kids that I am feeling like this was the wrong sport to hope to find relaxation, fun, and commeradie doing!

Don't give up based on this thread. It can be alot of fun and relaxing. Main thing is to not take it to seriously, it's too hard of a game to get down on yourself or playing partners when things are going south. I have always said, that if you don't have a good sense of humour you shouldn't be playing golf.

• When I could play the course for nothing (under my membership) but I have to pay $15 if I wanna hit some practice balls off of plastic matts on the practice fairway
  • The fact that hardly any golf club manufacturers make their FULL RANGE available in left handed
  • People who accuse me of playing their ball, although I bet their ball wasn't a Bridgestone with Callaway logos on it
  • The guy that rocked up late (well, on the moment we were to tee off) and then went out and won the comp and shot a hole in one. What a bastard
  • When people are too dependent on their GPS/Range finders. I have a GPS, but I'm not so dependent on it that I have to study it for 5 minutes on everyshot
  • The 3, 4 and 5 hybrid. What? Can't you hit an iron?
  • Untucked shirts

There are plenty more I can't be bothered thinking of! I am a pretty angry golfer lol.

Maybe this is out of left field, but ranges with crappy rubber mats should have a sign - beginners - mats are not grass - results will differ. Or something to that effect.

Obviously that's not gonna happen because they want business, but in the interests of learning and improving, that would make sense.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

totally agree !!

I might add ...

- having to wait on younger kids playing 4 or 5 tee shots until they get a playable ball.

- people hitting too close to our group, even letting it run to 20 ft of us seems commonplace - I don't do that for safety's sake, wish others wouldn't either.

- people spending waaaaaaaaaay too much time looking for a ball.

Originally Posted by stianvm

2) People who go mental with "sit sit sit sit" to their golfball...The ball will not listen to your cries of desperation!!

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Black View Post
None

man, you shouldn't do it with a 3 wood. That could've gone anywhere.

it's different when you do it with a short iron. You know there's a good chance you won't hit them. But you could've hit that guy pretty easily. What would your excuse be? "he was marking his scorecard next to the green so I decided to speed him up a bit" I've done it myself, but never with a wood.

Not to nitpick, but I'd rather be hit with a 3 wood shot as compared to a full PW or short iron ... the 3W will have most of it's energy dissipated by the time it falls to the ground due to the lower trajectory ... the wedge shot will be much higher in the air, it will come down a whole lot harder due to the higher trajectory.   Don't want to be hit by either, but just sayin' ...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

#1 for me has to be unsolicited swing advice. If you aren't a scratch golfer or a PGA member then please don't try to give me a lesson in the middle of my round. This happened during two different rounds in the past week. I know people are just trying to be helpful but what compels some people to give swing advice, especially when they aren't very good players? At least ASK, " would you like a suggestion?".

“You don't have the game you played last year or last week. You only have today's game. It may be far from your best, but that's all you've got. Harden your heart and make the best of it.”

~ Walter Hagen

Played  a round the last night with a new golfer. But he didnt look like a new golfer.

Brand new standbag, new Cobra Irons/Driver must've had 1500$ worth of equipment. Looked like he was going to be really good and was just a hack.

Note: This thread is 3920 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!