IGNORED

Pet Peeves

AceDunk
Note: This thread is 3912 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I already posted to this thread but my round on Sunday brought up some new ones......

What course in Western NY? I just moved back to AZ after going to UB Law for three years.

• 2 weeks later...
haha saturday we were at a better than average course . we were waiting on yet another t box when one of the maint guy`s pulled up and put a fresh bag of ice into the water then used his bare hands to move the ice around and flatten it out . I asked the guy I was golfing with if he was thirsty now ? he said did that kid just do what I think he did ? I said yep lol

YEAH....that was a thing of beauty considering I was very thirsty and the cart girl was hiding in the shade.

Mine are
1) People who talk too much.
2) The rare times I'm stuck behind younger kids than me and are fooling around (trying to hit houses, hitting from the bunker when they should be moving to the next hole, taking my ball from the fairway)
3) People who come close to hitting me and my playing partner without saying fore.
4) Unrepaired pitch marks.
5) People who take my ball without asking or try not to look at me and take the ball.
6) Nongolfers golfing.

Whats in my Nike Xtreme Stand Bag:
Driver-Nike SQ SUMO 5000 10.5* w/ SQ Diamana R Flex
Fairway-Nike SQ DYMO 19*w/ UST Wide Body R Flex
Irons- Nike SQ SUMO 4-P w/ True Temper SpeedStep SuperLite R flex
Wedges- Adams Golf Tom Watson Classic Grind 52.08, 56.12, 60.08 w/ Adams Golf TW Wdg FlexPutter-...

I'm surprised by how many people "hate slow play"...you're playing golf, not speed walking. Now, before anyone says anything..my longest round of the year was 4:20 on Independence Day weekend. I don't understand the desire to blaze through a course but maybe I get enjoyment out of different things than others. I love to be outside, I love to see all the green, I love to observe the course, I find the relative quiet and the openness to be very peaceful and refreshing.

That's what I'm thinking. You get your money's worth if it takes longer. Anything else, if you paid that much money, you'd get PO'd if someone rushed you through it. I remember para sailing at the beach one year, long ago. They charged me $15.00 for a quick loop around the area, then wanted to rush me to get down so they could put the next customer in the air. I just kept going back and forth while, from the boat, they were frantically waving their arms for me to pull both cords and land. I got what I paid for that day.

This was before they had the winch on the boat to let you out and pull you back in. You took off of the beach rather than the back of the boat.

In my bag:
Driver X460 TOUR OPTIFIT 10.5* Graphite
FW 3W BIG BERTHA DIABLO 13* Graphite
FW 5W BIG BERTHA DIABLO 18* Graphite
Irons X-22 IRONS 5 - PW & SW GraphitePutter Odyssey Dual Force Rossie IIUnder my bag: 2007 EZGO ~ Customized

Mine are

Not picking on your, but... I don't really understand the thinking behind this one. With a 21 HC, you aren't exactly PGA tour material. By "non-golfer", I suppose you mean someone that is possibly a beginner? Were you ever a beginner or have you always considered yourself to be a "golfer"? Again, not trying to ruffle feathers here, but some people think that the sport or activity they are involved in is for no one but them. You should be just a little more flexible to allow those that are willing to pay green fees to keep the courses open, even though they don't have the remarkable ability that you have.

In my bag:
Driver X460 TOUR OPTIFIT 10.5* Graphite
FW 3W BIG BERTHA DIABLO 13* Graphite
FW 5W BIG BERTHA DIABLO 18* Graphite
Irons X-22 IRONS 5 - PW & SW GraphitePutter Odyssey Dual Force Rossie IIUnder my bag: 2007 EZGO ~ Customized

Not picking on your, but...

By non golfers I mean people who don't golf and go and play and don't plan to play again

Whats in my Nike Xtreme Stand Bag:
Driver-Nike SQ SUMO 5000 10.5* w/ SQ Diamana R Flex
Fairway-Nike SQ DYMO 19*w/ UST Wide Body R Flex
Irons- Nike SQ SUMO 4-P w/ True Temper SpeedStep SuperLite R flex
Wedges- Adams Golf Tom Watson Classic Grind 52.08, 56.12, 60.08 w/ Adams Golf TW Wdg FlexPutter-...

1.) Cell phone talkers (even if they're being quiet or discrete about it). You came to play golf, not to let me listen to your phone call. And don't ever make me wait while you're finishing up a call.

This does it for me, most embarrassing.

Funny thing how you first meet the woman that you marry. I first met the wife in a tunnel of love. She was digging it - Les Dawson

R7 TP 3i - 9i

R7 TP Superquad 9.5
R7 TP 3w
R7 TP's Rossa Daytona 1 TP Black R7 Stand-bag

1) People who takes up to 30 second to make a shot and is usually left with a 50/50 decent/disaster shot( one of the regular in the group does this, i counted
2) People who go mental with "sit sit sit sit" to their golfball...The ball will not listen to your cries of desperation!!
3) People who does'nt aknowledge you when saying "great shot" (when shots are indeed pretty good). I tend to quit giving praise for the rest of the round after a few silent replies.
4) People who toss the flagstick
5) People who gives unqualified critique of my swing(say nice swing or leave your incompetent critique in the bag)

The following sticks of wonder are found in the orange bag of carrying
Driver : R9 460 9.5 Regular
Rescue : Halo 2i Regular
Irons : X20 tour 3-p Project X 5.0
Wedges : Vokey 52, XFT 56, 60Putter : VP 109

My biggest one is people telling you your score after every single putt you make, especialy when you miss.

Driver: :cobra: BiO Cell (10.5º)

Wood: :ping: G15 3 (15.5°)

Hybrids: :callaway: Diablo Edge: 3 (21º), 4 (24º)

Irons: :callaway: Diablo Edge: 5-PW

Wedges: :cleveland:588 RTX CB 50º, Paradise Black Chrome II Sand Wedge 56º

2) People who go mental with "sit sit sit sit" to their golfball...The ball will not listen to your cries of desperation!!

People also can't hear you when you tell them to GO or get moving when the light turns green and they continue to sit there for about 20 seconds. Or when they're driving 30mph in a 40mph zone. Why this bothers you I don't understand. So what if I yell "sit" or "bite" or "get down/up" once or twice after making a shot. There are plenty of times I'm sure you do something similar to this where your words will have zero effect on what happens.

There are such things as quiet people. I'm more of a quiet person, when I'm playing with my buddy and I make a good shot and they give me praise I'll usually only slightly acknowledge them or very quietly say "thanks".

Callaway XR 9.5 + 1, Taylormade R15 3 Wood, Burner 3 Rescue, Callaway XHot 5H, Warbird 4H, Nike Vapor Fly 6-AW Irons, Titleist Vokey 54, 60 Wedges, Taylormade Rossa Fontana Putter, Srixon Z-Star Tour Yellow.

Best Score 2017:  82 (Traditions at the Glen, Par 70)

Favorite Course - Conklin Players Club (Par 72) - Best Score 86

• When people bark orders at their golf ball. (Sit!) - As posted by stianvm.
  • At a golf event, when you clap after a goof shot and they decide not to acknowledge you. -As posted by stianvm.
  • When people take forever, or go too fast.

I saw something new yesterday...

Yesterday the group in front of me consisted of two younger guys walking (mid-30s, prob) and two older guys riding (late 60s/early 70s). It was clear these were two twosomes that got put together. The two older guys were incredibly slow. They'd hit balls into water/woods/bushes/black holes/etc. and spend the entire 5 mins looking for them. On the last hole, it was clear one of the younger guys had had it and while one of the older guys was looking for his (again) lost golf ball, the young guy walks over to a pond, pulls out a fishing pole and fishes until the older guy stops looking for his ball. He pulled 3-4 fish out of the pond in this time.

So, I guess my pet peeve here is taking too long to look for a lost ball, but I thought it was incredibly amusing that a guy in the group was fishing. Had he done this more than once and more than just the last hole, it'd probably set me off, but I thought it was funny.

People also can't hear you when you tell them to GO or get moving when the light turns green and they continue to sit there for about 20 seconds. Or when they're driving 30mph in a 40mph zone. Why this bothers you I don't understand. So what if I yell "sit" or "bite" or "get down/up" once or twice after making a shot. There are plenty of times I'm sure you do something similar to this where your words will have zero effect on what happens.

I meant go completely mental, not just a single word of encouragement to the ball. I tend to give a "come on, go on!" if there is some doubt of where the ball will end up, but nothing like an 5 second verbal battlecry.

There are such things as quiet people. I'm more of a quiet person, when I'm playing with my buddy and I make a good shot and they give me praise I'll usually only slightly acknowledge them or very quietly say "thanks".

Exactly, you aknowledged someone giving cred for your shot. Its not like im talking about incorporation a person into your will, but just ack'ing by either a nod or thanks does the trick(in my book atleast)

The following sticks of wonder are found in the orange bag of carrying
Driver : R9 460 9.5 Regular
Rescue : Halo 2i Regular
Irons : X20 tour 3-p Project X 5.0
Wedges : Vokey 52, XFT 56, 60Putter : VP 109

Golfing Parents who turn their pre-teen kids loose on the Driving Range and Practice Green! COME ON !!! The Golf Course ain't Daycare!

Haha my wedge game and putting is still the best part of my game for this exact reason. Kids aren't allowed on my course until after 4 on the weekends, so I would hang out on the putting green and play the back 9 with my parents.

I don't mind slow play, but if it is caused by somebody dropping a second ball on every hole or people standing next to their playing partner and watching every shot when they are on opposite sides of the fairway, well that angers me. If the slow play is because they aren't the greatest players or simply concentrate on their shots, thats fine with me, but if it is their stupidity that is causing the slow golf, that is not ok.

I can't stand it when people don't abide by the course rules. Namely the dress code. If the sign says no t-shirts then don't wear a t-shirt. The brim of your hat is made to keep sun out of your eyes not off your neck.

Another thing that kills me is braggarts. I was at a Callaway demo day and this one guy is spouting off about how low he shot and every time he does is I see him glance over at me to see if I notice. I was brought up taught that it is rude to talk about yourself.

In my Sasquatch stand bag
Driver: G5 10.5*
Fairway wood: R9 4 wood
Irons: R7 3-PW OR Firesole 3-PW
Wedges: VR 52-10 56-14 & 260-4Putter: TraceyShoe: Powerband 3.0

• 9 months later...

After playing golf for 50 years, my number one Pet Peeve is: Golfers who do not know how to play while riding in a golf cart. It drives my nuts when I see the first player in a cart going through the whole routine of checking the lie, walking off distance, checking the wind, picking a club, taking a practice swing, taking another practice swing, and then finally hitting the shot. Then he has to walk back to the back of the cart and clean his club and replace it in the bag. He then gets into the cart and drives TEN YARDS to his partners ball and the partner then gets out of the cart and proceeds to go through the same routine! Please, either let one player out at his ball and drive to yours; or, get out of the cart and walk to your ball so you can be preparing to hit your shot while he his doing the same. Four hour rounds should be the RULE , not the EXCEPTION ! Thanks, I feel better now.

Originally Posted by planopops

After playing golf for 50 years, my number one Pet Peeve is: Golfers who do not know how to play while riding in a golf cart. It drives my nuts when I see the first player in a cart going through the whole routine of checking the lie, walking off distance, checking the wind, picking a club, taking a practice swing, taking another practice swing, and then finally hitting the shot. Then he has to walk back to the back of the cart and clean his club and replace it in the bag. He then gets into the cart and drives TEN YARDS to his partners ball and the partner then gets out of the cart and proceeds to go through the same routine! Please, either let one player out at his ball and drive to yours; or, get out of the cart and walk to your ball so you can be preparing to hit your shot while he his doing the same. Four hour rounds should be the RULE, not the EXCEPTION! Thanks, I feel better now.

You joined the forum just now so you could get that off your chest, didn't you?

FWIW - I am in comPLETE agreement.  Contrary to common belief, I think carts can actually slow the game down - not speed it up.  Your scenario is spot-on more often than not - while walkers go straight to their ball, do their routine more or less simultaneously with the others in the group, and then hit-and-walk.  I'm the exception in our league, but I think nothing of hopping out of the cart (if riding) and walking FIFTY yds to my ball just to get a good idea of the lie, the yardage, and the shot.  By the time my riding partner has completed his shot and brought my bag to me, I've done at least 2/3s of my pre-shot mental stuff and just have to pluck a club and hit.....

Welcome to the forum, BTW!

In my bag: adams.gif Speedline Fast 10 10.5, Speedline 3W, Ping Zing2 5-SW  vokey.gif 60 deg odyssey.gif 2-ball    330-RXS

Note: This thread is 3912 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!