Sign in to follow this  
assassin307

Ping Eye 2's

Note: This thread is 1265 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

93 posts in this topic Last Reply

Im thinking about picking up a set of Eye 2's in pretty good condition. Im a high handicapp golfer, but I thought it might be kind of fun to pick up a classic set of irons to swing around for fun.

Are these forgiving at all or am I just wasting a couple hundred bucks?

Thanks!

IMHO Eye 2's are not only the best game improvement irons of all time, they're the best irons ever made by any manufacturer. Are they forgiving? In spades, brother! You would not be wasting a couple of hundred bucks on some Eye 2's because they can be purchased relatively inexpensively on Ebay and can almost always be resold for what you paid for them.

There is no such thing as "wasting money on a set of PING Eye-2's". Buy them up and enjoy!

I loved my Ping Eye-2's when I was playing them. A very forgiving iron set. It's kinda weird, I was playing this weekend with a guy who had a set of G5's I believe. At first glance, I thought they were some old Ping Eye-2's. It's pretty amazing that style and club head shape is still being deployed today after 20+ years. That in itself should give you some idea how well designed those clubs are.
I've still got my old set too, but would probably be selling them for a little more than a couple hundred bucks. They're a full beryllium copper white dot set (1 - L-wedge) with all matching serial numbers. Let me know if you might have some interest.

Good luck with your decision!

they're nice clubs but the long irons are hard to hit compared to more modern ones. (I find them hard to hit anyway)

I'd love to have a full set of them.
are you getting the woods with them?

they're nice clubs but the long irons are hard to hit compared to more modern ones. (I find them hard to hit anyway)

You are a silly dude. In one thread you say old blades aren't hard to hit. In the next you say the long eye 2's are hard to hit.

Not a waste of money!!! I play with G10 irons but still own 2 iron sets of eye 2's, one of them berylliym copper. I break them out every once in a while and it's fun to play with them.

You are a silly dude. In one thread you say old blades aren't hard to hit. In the next you say the long eye 2's are hard to hit.

A blade 3i is easier to hit than the Ping Eye 2 3i that's at the range.

Maybe it's mental, but I don't think it is.

No woods, just saw them for sale at Global Golf. Has anyone used them and are they reputable???

I just gotta check to see what color dot I would use. I believe the clubs I saw were black dot, which I believe is standard? Thanks for the replies!

No woods, just saw them for sale at Global Golf. Has anyone used them and are they reputable???

Yes I have and yes they are. But get a fitting first. If you end up with one of the "off-standard" color codes like red, orange, white, gold, or maroon there are some real bargains to be had on Ebay. I just saw a set of orange dot Eye Two's sell for $81.00.

I have had 2 sets of Eye 2s (and still have one set - my plus no pluses - in the closet) and they are great clubs. They were my first real set and worked really well for me, and compared to a new set, are relatively cheap. The only downside (if you view it that way, but I personally didn't) is that they are about 1 club weaker than what you have probably used. They were produced before the "loft strengthening revolution." If that bothers you, go another route, but you won't be sorry you have them if you buy them!

Yes I have and yes they are. But get a fitting first. If you end up with one of the "off-standard" color codes like red, orange, white, gold, or maroon there are some real bargains to be had on Ebay. I just saw a set of orange dot Eye Two's sell for $81.00.

That's a good idea. I take it just going off the chart on the PING website probably isn't good enough huh?

Im thinking about picking up a set of Eye 2's in pretty good condition. Im a high handicapp golfer, but I thought it might be kind of fun to pick up a classic set of irons to swing around for fun.

I have a copper and a steel set..let me know what you are going to spend..one is red one is orange

I have a copper and a steel set..let me know what you are going to spend..one is red one is orange. Pings are great, good performers and good to resale, you may lose alittle money but not an arm and a leg

Ping Eye-2 ranks as a SGI club with an MPF above 700.

Played Eye-2 clones for 14 years, and they were great clubs. Main reason I switched was they had Stiff shafts, and I made a move to Regular.

Does anyone know if Ping will still make a set of Eye-2s on custom order?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I just bought a set of BeCu's and I am a very high capper and after buying these and working on my swing on my own I went out this weekend and shot a 82 that's right a 82 with these. These are buy far the best and nicest looking set of clubs I have ever played with. Buy them and don't look back. I would agree that if you can find a store that would let you hit off a white board and get an idea of what length you need ( I did this and found exactly what I needed 1/2" long black dot midsize grips ). You wont can't loose on them.

Does anyone know if Ping will still make a set of Eye-2s on custom order?

I spoke to the rep last week and the answer was yes, they will.

As for the earlier comment that a set of orange dots was $81 on ebay, I'd say there must have been a reason for it. Like mis-matched serial numbers, or mis-matched shafts or something. A decent matching used set is going to run $175 or more in my experience.

Note: This thread is 1265 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• 2018 TST Partners

PING Golf
    FlightScope Mevo
    More to come…
    • I saved this posting for the last couple of years.....   though it was first written in 2005.   IMHO lots of great information. BTW, I am a 6.8 and hope to chop off a couple of strokes this year.   I am looking forward to others comments AND your following your journey.   _____________________________________________
      Sent: Sunday, January 10, 2016 10:25 PM
      To: jgutier2@tampabay.rr.com
      Subject: New reply to Road to Scratch From David "Obee" Ober I first wrote this article back in 2005(?) when I was playing the best golf of my life. I was a +2.0 to +3.5 during the playing season for several years in a row back in the early/mid 2000's. I took up golf at age 20 back in about 1988, and was able to get a low single-digit handicap in about 2 - 3 years. I certainly wan't a very good low handicapper in my first few years, and had trouble playing to my handicap under any type of pressure, but I steadily got better and better in two main ways: 1) I truly believed that I had the ability to play golf at the +3 index level even though I had a full-time job and a wife and kids. 2) I paid attention to every little detail about scoring and the mental side of the game that I could possibly ready or watch or glean from better players than myself. That's it. Those two things are the only real keys in my mind. Start with number 1, which should lead you to number 2. I hope you enjoy your journey.... Advice for the Low Handicap Golfer On Taking His Game to the Next Level My initial advice to most golfers who want to become better players, is to actually play more. After all, we play Golf, not  Golf Swing. You get no points for the prettiest or most-technically sound golf swing. You win or compete by getting the ball in the hole in the fewest strokes possible. Not surprisingly, then, the list of world-class players with unorthodox or idiosyncratic golf swings is long and getting longer every year. Think Zach Johnson, Bubba Watson, Jim Furyk, Ryan Moore, et al. Heck, even a guy like Dustin Johnson, whose swing is beautiful and rhythmic, is so shut at the top that no (?) teacher would ever encourage students to emulate it. If you are reading this, then you are most likely already a low handicap golfer (5 index or below?). What you need to learn is how to get the most out of your game --not how to have the swing of a PGA Tour pro. There are very few miracles in life, meaning few (if any) people who have been playing 2-handicap golf for 10 years will ever miraculously find the key to the perfect golf swing and start playing as a +5 to +6, which is about where you need to be to compete as a legitimate playing professional (all other things like mental toughness, ability to play under pressure, etc. notwithstanding). That kind of swing change just isn't going to happen. Which is why I say its about learning how to play the game and not learning some new golf swing. Start learning how to get the most out of what you already have instead of relying on the pipe dream that some day you will “fix” your golf swing. Does that make sense? If not, then this article is not for you. A few things before I get into the specifics: Play as much as you can, and play as many tournaments as possible. (I can't emphasize this enough). When you're not playing a tournament, always make sure you are playing a competitive match with someone and make sure you have some money on the line. And make it enough so that if you lose, it stings a bit. The "playing for money" thing is not for everyone, and that's okay, it helped me get better and also helped me play more consistently under tournament pressure, so that's why I recommend it. Second, try to learn something from every single experience on the golf course. Pay attention to how you feel, what your tendencies are, and what your self-talk is like. For instance: ·       What did you feel like when you hit that 100 yard sand wedge to 5 feet? ·       How did that feeling differ from the one you chunked just two holes before? ·       Was it the pin position that made you uncomfortable? Was it the lie? ·       How did your state of mind prior to the shot influence the outcome, if at all? ·       What did you say to yourself prior to shoving that tee shot out of bounds late in that one round when you were 2-under par and about to beat your personal best? ·       Why did you snap-hook that 3-iron into the water from that ball-below-your-feet lie? Isn’t the ball supposed to right off ball-below-your-feet lies? ·       Why do I always miss left from uphill lies? ·       Why do I always miss left from downhill lies? (Yes, the dominant miss for many good players from uphill and downhill lies can be a pull, but for different reasons). ·       Why do I leave so many 50 yard pitch shots short? ·       Why do I have so much trouble on fast greens? Slow greens? Big breakers? ·       Why can my buddy stop his shots to elevated front pins, but I can't? ·       Why do I always come up short to back pins? ·       I noticed a correlation between a quick negative thought as I stand over the ball. How do I deal with that? ·       I hate straight-in putts and am always looking for break in short putts. Some guys have no trouble with straight putts. Why is that? ·       Etc., etc., etc.... These are just a sampling of the kinds of questions you should ask yourself. However, to even ask them to begin with, you must pay attention on the golf course. Don't be judgmental – that’s a killer. Just pay attention and learn from yourself without beating yourself up and being overly critical. It's amazing how much easier it is to play the game when you are noticing, and not judging. Remember: The scores you shoot, over time, are a direct representation of who you are as a golfer. There is no getting around that, so don't make excuses. Don't hope. Don't equivocate. You are your scores -- at least as a golfer. You want to get better? Then you need to fix the things that are leading to your undesirable scores! So pay attention to what is causing them. Also, don't be afraid to ask the better golfers at your club to take a look at your game and your mental process. They will almost certainly be happy to be brutally honest with you!! Regarding playing the game, as far as I can tell, to become a legitimate regionally or nationally competitive amateur golfer (generally in the +1 to +4 index range), you need to master the following: 1) Drive the ball relatively straight and relatively long, so work on the driver. And you should be comfortable on right-to-left holes and left-to-right holes. This is a must. I play with lots of players that can only hit one shot with the driver – this is a recipe for disaster under pressure on a hole that doesn't fit your eye.  You must, at the very minimum, be able to hit the ball straight when called upon if what you normally do is draw or fade the ball. Too many holes just do not fit a draw or a fade. If you can't work the ball both ways, at least be able to hit it more-or-less straight when necessary. Or have a "back-up" club that you hit. Lots of pros, when faced with a left-to-right tee shot will pull out a 3-wood because it's easier to turn down the face of a 3-wood and hit a controlled draw than it is on a driver. 2) Hit the ball solidly with reasonable accuracy and repeatability from 130 yards to 179 yards, so work a bit on your ball striking with 6-iron to pitching wedge. But don't get too caught up spending time here. You will yield much better results by spending your practice time on the driver, full and three-quarter wedges, putting, and chipping/pitching. I'm a big believer that if you hone a full pitching wedge swing and are able to "work" the ball with your pitching wedge (which requires clubface control and an understanding of golf ball launch mechanics and how they relate to your swing), that the PW swing carries over to clubs all the way up to about 7 iron for most players. 3) Be a great full wedge player (80-120 yards). This means when you have gap wedge, sand wedge, or lob wedge in your hands from the fairway, you should expect to get the ball within 30 feet almost every time. Tour average from 75 to 100 yards is 18 feet. If you want to be a scratch player, you should certainly average 25 feet or so, which means eliminating the horrible wedge shots from your bag. Absolutely zero: chunks, skulls, shanks, or duffs.  You must be rock solid with a wedge in your hands and feel like you have a better chance of knocking it in the hole, than missing the green. Now will you occasionally blade one or chunk one? Sure, but for most scratch and below players, that should be a very rare occurrence indeed. 4) Be able to hit the ball solidly from 180 to 220. You certainly don't need to spend much time here, you really only need to be able to make consistent contact such that your distance is repeatable with the longer clubs. You're not going to hit much more than 50% (if that) of greens from these yardages, so don't fret when you miss from here. Just use your short game to get up and down, and try to stay away from the short side – especially in tournament play since the rough is usually up in big tournaments. Note: Recent statistical analysis of PGA Tour pros' games has revealed that this "Danger Zone" play (175 - 225 yds) is actually one of the most, if not the most important parts of the game at that level. That does not, however, invalidate my advice, which is that an amateur needs to get repeatable distance from the longer clubs. No matter what he does he will not stick his long irons or hybrids close on a regular basis. Learn to compress the ball and take one side of the golf course out of play with your longer clubs, and you will be ahead of the overwhelming majority of 2-5 handicap players out there). 5) Have a good to great short game. Of course the closer to great you are, the worse other parts of your game can be. I'm only a decent driver of the ball (quite straight, but on the short side), but I am (or was, 10 years ago) a considerably better player than most club scratch amateurs because my short game was very good. In addition, a huge advantage of a sharp short game is that it compresses the top half of your score range. With a great short game, you are able to turn 80's into 75's and stay in a match or stay within striking range in a stroke-play tournament.  Spend lots of time on the practice green, and when you're there, use your imagination! Practice some short pitches and chips, and ask yourself how many different ways there are to play the same shot-- then execute each and every one of them. Experiment, and don't be afraid to look bad. Just get creative and do it! High, low, cut spin, go spin, bump it through the fringe, flop it up and stop it on a dime. You name it. If you're good enough to be a 3, you can play all of these shots, but can you play them when it counts? That's the question. If you don't practice them, you don't own them. And to have a great short game, you need to own all the different shots. One quick caveat: Do not fall in love with the flop shot. It's a valuable tool to have in your golf belt, but it is over-used by many near scratch players that learn it and then want to use it every time there's an opportunity. Im not saying that you shouldn't use the lob wedge--I'm saying don't use it to flop the ball, unless the situation demands it. 6) Be a good lag putter, which means controlling distance and seeing the line on longish putts. The longer and tougher a putt is, the more conservative you must be with your line. And when I say conservative, I mean erring on the high side. On many tough putts, you should really visualize the ball slowing down and literally trickling into the hole from the very top of the breaking point. The reason? Ball coming in from the high side are working toward the hole, whereas balls on the low side are working away from the hole. It’s amazing, but this seemingly simple little distinction eludes so many otherwise good players. 7) Be good inside 6 feet with the putter. All I can say here is: Practice, practice, practice. Groove a stroke, and become confident with it. Practice at home, practice at work, practice anywhere you can. There is no"correct" putting stroke, period. Find one that works for you and that you feel comfortable with and groove it. And don't be afraid to switch to a funky putting stance or grip or putter when necessary to fight off the occasional bout with the yips. I've done that several times in my life, usually with moderate success. Finally, I also highly recommend keeping honest, detailed stats on your rounds. It really helps when you can look back over 40 rounds or more at your strengths and weaknesses, since many of us have a skewed view of our games. For instance, if you think you have a pretty good short game, but you're only getting up and down 45% of the time from inside 30 yards, then you're really not as good as you think. Not saying this is you, just that keeping meticulous, detailed stats will tell you where you really are, not where you think you are.  Finally, read plenty of stuff on the mental game: Golf is Not a Game of Perfect Extraordinary Golf (probably my all-time favorite golf book, but not for everyone) Pressure Golf Zen Golf Going Low Golf: How Good Do You Want to Be? et al. I saved this for last, but at the near-scratch level, developing and improving the mental game is probably the most important. Learning to control your emotions and your mind on the golf course is absolutely crucial to playing your best golf. There are thousands of golfers out there with the ability to compete at the regional/national amateur level that will never know how good they can be, because they refuse to conquer the inconsistent thinking and lack of a plan that leads to so many of their poor decisions, shots, and scores. I hope this has been helpful.
    • I think you have successfully argued with your own position well done. He wants to compete at majors where depending on the courses he may not need to hit Drivers certainly not on tight holes and therefore in the lead up to these events he has to thrash his driver all over the place?
    • Day 81.  I screwed up yesterday and did not post in Red Bold!! Though I inserted a picture of my range and my training.  Hope that is okay.  So BACK TO BOLD today!!!

I spent 3 hours on the range working on staying in posture and not swaying on my backswing.  Used my Motion Drills from my GGGA Workbook.  

HOWEVER, the best thing about today is that I received the KPlayer from KMotion.  I will be unboxing it, and putting it into play starting tomorrow.  Then in about a week or so, my coach and I will be getting together to set up the Learning Programs for me.   This is a sizeable investment that I hope helps speed the learning.
    • I try to use as much bounce as possible. This means, I tend to pitch more than I chip. For how much Phil likes to say he does the hinge and hold. There is a lot of replays over the years showing him not maintaining that wrist angle.  He might feel like he does this, but he engages the bounce a decent amount of the time.
  • TST Blog Entries

• Blog Entries

• Today's Birthdays

1. Jay G
      Jay G
      (42 years old)
    2. JRan
      JRan
      (38 years old)
  • Get Great Gear with Amazon

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...