IGNORED

The Open Championship

mcfc_nick
Note: This thread is 4883 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what would you suggest? a giant dome over st. andrews?

noooo..................there's no point now, the tournaments finished, maybe if you suggested it on Thursday something could have been done

Cobra S2 Driver
Nike SQ 3 Wood
Nike Sumo SQ 3 Hybrid
Callaway X-16 Irons 3-PW
Nike Victory Red 56 and 60 WedgesScotty Cameron Newport 1.5 Putter

Guys the schedule always plays a part in most majors, you really do need luck to win a golf tournament.

The uspga championship is always the most exciting major imo, the best stories always come outta it. BTW when is it?

Luck played a part, but Oosthuizen also played well enough to stay so far out in front he didn't feel the pressure - and he certainly wouldn't feel any from the likes of Casey, Westwood, Stenson and Kaymer - all fine golfers, but not a major between them. I think the only chance we had for a compelling Sundy would have been if Tiger was in the hunt, which he would have been if he didn't bogey #6 on Saturday when he normally birdies it and could have saved a stroke someplace else to finish at -7 on Saturday.

It's all pie in the sky, but I think there's a big difference looking at the leaderboard and seeing you're 5 shots up on Paul Casey and seeing you're only 5 up on Tiger with nobody between you.

Looking forward to Whistling Straits, which is essentially going to be The Open Part Deux right on the lake.

Titleist 910D3 8.5* Aldila RIP
Titleist 910F 13.5* Diamana Kai'li
Nickent 4DX 20* and 24*
Tour Preferred 5-PW
52.08, 56.14, 60.04 Titleist Vokey

Odyssey Metal-X #9 Putter

Pro V1x

Could have, should have, might have, didn't. What pointless conjecture. The results are in, and McIlroy is the last person who'd agree with you. You may as well say If Tiger had putted well he would have won.

You are in denial as to what actually happened during the tournament and it amazes me how any point of conjecture or 'what if' is seen as an easy target.

I wasn't making any statement about luck of the draw not playing a part in golf tournaments either rather that this was a fine example for the very pertinent reasons I listed. McIlroy is the "last person who would agree with me". What? That Friday's round cost him? It clearly cost him. I really don't see it as that unreasonable to suggest he'd have had a better round but for the weather. Next time, how about having a point?

what would you suggest? a giant dome over st. andrews?

Although I did chuckle at your suggestion I'm not quite sure why having only intended to analyse that tournament that I am being taken for making some kind of a complaint.

Although I did chuckle at your suggestion I'm not quite sure why having only intended to analyse that tournament that I am being taken for making some kind of a complaint.

these were your words, "Give Oosthuizen McIlroys conditions and his 67 likely become a 72." seriously though, i was just, as you fellas say across the pond, taking the swing, innit. ;)

these were your words, "Give Oosthuizen McIlroys conditions and his 67 likely become a 72." seriously though, i was just, as you fellas say across the pond, taking the swing, innit. ;)

It's all good although I would still say to others than rather than conjecture- a discussion about the conditions is an explanation for exactly what happened.

prezbucky (message 249):

And while I'm here (hehe): It's oost-HIGH-zen. From his mouth to my ears. It isn't f@&$&ng; "oost-hay-zen". Can the commentators hear? Sheesus H!

http://thesandtrap.com/forum/threads...ionship/page28

Stretch (message 262):

Take this from a native South African who speaks Afrikaans and coincidentally grew up next door to an (unrelated) family called Oosthuizen, it's WUHST-high-zen.

http://thesandtrap.com/forum/threads...ionship/page30

Jim:

The Dutch pronunciation is OAST-how-zen (click the blue triangle to hear the pronunciation at the webpage linked below).

http://www.forvo.com/word/oosthuizen/

The Afrikaans pronunciation is UWEST-high-zen (click the blue triangle to the left of the word “oosthuizen” to hear the pronunciation at the webpage linked below).

http://www.forvo.com/languages/af/

However, I emailed the person whose email address is displayed at the webpage linked below, and he said that the Afrikaans pronunciation is OOST-hay-zen.

http://www.mieliestronk.com/phrase1.html

The ESPN video segment on the pronunciation of Louis’ last name is played on You Tube at the webpage linked below. Louis himself twice states how his name is to be pronounced at the 2:02 and 2:10 minute marks in this 2:28 minute You Tube video. He says (twice) that it is pronounced WEST-high-zen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyRgKxB7jug

In the first instance, Louis said, “WEST-high-zen,” in reply to which the reporter said, “WOOST-hay-zen,” getting it wrong, in reply to which Louis said, “That’s good.” He didn’t correct her.

Then the narrator of the video segment said, “BUT then, Friday night in the Media Center, he told us it was ACTUALLY ....” Here, the narrator was implying that Louis was changing his mind in this second instance regarding how to pronounce his name. But the video showed Louis again saying, “WEST-high-zen.” Louis pronounced his name the same way both times.

Nevertheless, the media people at ESPN and at the Golf Channel have been consistently saying OOST-hay-zen ever since. For some reason, they’ve decided to take their cue from that reporter that got it wrong in the first instance instead of taking their cue from Louis himself.

The only media person that I’ve seen get it right has been Kelly Tilghman at the Golf Channel. She had been saying OOST-hay-zen, the same as everyone else, but then she said (once) WEST-high-zen, after which she returned to saying OOST-hay-zen.

The only media person that I’ve seen get it right has been Kelly Tilghman at the Golf Channel. She had been saying OOST-hay-zen, the same as everyone else, but then she said (once) WEST-high-zen, after which she returned to saying OOST-hay-zen.

It's his surname and however he says it is how it's said.

There are countless examples of athletes with the same spelling and totally different pronuciations (Lefebvre is a prime example). Some people have even changed the pronunciation of their name mid-career.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

It's his surname and however he says it is how it's said.

I think he was trying to be kind to sensitive American glottals.

He should have got her to try "gelukkig" which, appropriately, is the Afrikaans word for both "lucky" and "happy". Have you ever heard a cat hack up a hairball? That's pretty much the G sound you're going for.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

prezbucky (message 249):.......

This post would pack much more punch if the quote button was used correctly.....

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

• 4 months later...
I was reading some old issues of Golf magazine I've had for years, and a random question popped into my head.

When did it become fashionable recently (again?) to call the British Open, "The Open Championship"?

Yeah, I know that's the copyrighted name, so that even though it says something completely different on the trophy, that what it's actually called. When I was young(er) though, whenever the term "The Open" was used on this side of the pond, it meant the US Open. The British Open was always called just that - The British Open, or "the British". In other words, when did Americans stop calling their Open, "THE Open"?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I don't know, but I've noticed it too. For the most part I say "the Open Championship". Also I don't think I've ever called the US Open "the Open."

It could be because any time you say "the British Open", all of the Brits get mad. Just sayin'.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I don't know, but I've noticed it too. For the most part I say "the Open Championship". Also I don't think I've ever called the US Open "the Open."

Because its called "the open" why would you call it the british open? I dont call the "at and t national" "at and t Pennsylvania national" ,the us open is called the us open and thats why we call it the us open, its just annoying.

Because its called "the open" why would you call it the british open? I dont call the "at and t national" "at and t Pennsylvania national" ,the us open is called the us open and thats why we call it the us open, its just annoying.

Most people in the North American golf media seemed to refer to it as the "British Open". Many still do. If you didn't understand my question, maybe you shouldn't have responded.

Just read you comment, if anything its the other way around, why did it become fashionable to call it the british open? The open is open to the world, the qualification process is way more open to worldwide qualification than any other, I guess its cool to call the us open the open if you are from their because its your open, but the open isnt the british open its a world open, and therefore should be refered to as such.

In some way, you just proved my point.

Many people call it "the British Open" to differentiate it from all of the other hundreds of other opens. Not just the US either. Most countries that play golf have their own national open championship.

In my bag:

Note: This thread is 4883 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!