IGNORED

If you could play just one course...

Note: This thread is 4629 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
If you could play just one course in the world, regardless of cost, distance, or playing ability, where would it be and why?

Oakmont. Best true test of golf in the world, and a test which blends American style golf with Links style golf to boot.

St. Andrews would probably be second, but I haven't played it so I can't say for sure. Pine Valley may be up there as well. Pine Needles too... After that the list gets pretty thin. Bedford Springs "springs" to mind... Augusta's pretty far down on the list to be honest. #12-15 or so.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Bethpage Black. Only 6 players ever have broken par there under US Open conditions. Plus I like the area it is in, I used to live about 30 minutes from there. Shinnecock, National Golf Links of America, and Long Island National would be up there. (Can you tell I love Long Island links courses? ) Also if it was autumn all year I would pick TPC Boston. It has to be the most gorgeous course in the world in the fall. And I have played that course. To name a few others: Winged Foot, The Old Course, Cypress Point, Augusta... I could go on, but Bethpage is #1.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I second Oakmont

Whistling Straits

Ausgusta National

Burning Tree

9* Geek No Brainer with red Stiff Gallofory shaft
15* R5 3 wood with Burner shaft
21* 24* Nike CPR hybrid Aldila by you shaft
5-pw Titleist 680 cb irons-SK Fiber graphite shafts
52*, 56*,60* Reid Lockhart Dual Bounce spinner shaftScotty Cameron Newport MidSlant with Tiger Shark GripTM LDP Red balls---used because I'm...

St. Andrews (Old Course)

The sheer history of that course is amazing, just thinking I could be hitting out of the same spot Arnold Palmer did decades ago, is breathtaking.

In my Walter Hagen T3 stand bag

Driver- Walter Hagen T3 10.5   3-Wood- Walter Hagen T3   Hybrids- Walter Hagen T3 3i-5i   Irons- Walter Hagen T3 6-PW   Wedge- Walter Hagen T3 56*  Putter- Walter Hagen T3   Ball-   RAW Distance Straight

Pebble Beach
Augusta
Chicago Golf Club in Wheaton, IL

But one thing I have learned in my realtively short time on this earth is that the quality of the course matters less than the quality of the company. So my true list, is name the other 3 of my perfect 4 some.

My father
and the other 2 spots are a toss up between my two best friends that play golf and my uncle.

In my bag:

some golf clubs

a few golf balls

a bag of tee's some already broken the rest soon to be

a snickers wrapper (if you have seen me play, you would know you are not going anywhere for a while)

and an empty bottle of water

Augusta National. I am just a huge fan of traditional, tree-lined American rolling park land courses and it's one of the best of those.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

I second Oakmont

I sure agree with the first two. There are some really nice private courses in Canada I'd like to play.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I thought it was ONE course? Me.. Winged Foot. I've got it wired. I can score there. I caddyed there for a long time and I just still really love it. It's goregous and hard but fun and exciting. I preferred the west course. I think it was a little prettier but the east was awesome too.
I haven't played it since I was a young teen in the early 90's so it's not like I'm a member or anything but it's an amazing course. I've played most of the good ones in that area too (poorly). Westchester cc, Quaker ridge, Pelham, Wykagyl etc. All great. But Winged Foot's my favorite.

"My greatest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my golf clubs for what I told her I paid for them."
What's in my SQ Tour Carry bag?:
Driver: R7 Quad 9.5*
3, 5 Wood: G5 clones
Irons: : AP1 (4-PW) Wedges: 52*, 56*, 62* Spin Milled Putter: White Hot 2 Ball BladeBalls: Shoes: My...

The Old Course at St Andrews. Its such a beautiful course with so much history. Playing St Andrews should be on any serious golfer's bucket list.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

hey, how do I list "What I play" like you have on yours?

Here's the How-To link within Sand Trap:

http://thesandtrap.com/forum/threads...-is-in-my-bag.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

St Andrews actually looks like someplace i could play if i could keep it out of those bunkers, i doubt i will ever be able to travel over there and play but I dont think i would completely embarass myself like at some pga courses. Pebble Beach and Torrey Pines would be a great west coast trip someday. Augusta National would be nice to visit but it looks way too difficult for me to have any fun, same goes for Bethpage. TPC sawgrass would be interesting as well, love to play that 17th hole. I guess it might be one of the most copied holes as there is a course near me in Fairfield, IL in which the 18th hole is very similar, about the same distance and an island green. Last time i played there i thought i hit a good shot, only to have it hit the green firmly and bounce over into the water behind the green, one club too many i guess, ended up getting a 5.

In my bag
Driver-top flite cannon 460 cc 10.5 deg, reg flex
3 Wood-ACUITY GOLF RCX 14°
3h-warrior golf tcp 20°
4h-warrior golf tcp 23°5h-warrior golf tcp 26° 6-pw-AFFINITY / ORLIMAR HT2 SERIES irons steel shafts regular flex56° sw-tour seriesram puttergolf balls-intech beta ti

Pacific Dunes / Bandon Dunes. Great layout, better views than PB, more reasonably priced too. Not too priced out of public reach. Just an effort to get to. Usually a slight 'detour' when visiting family in Vancouver.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Augusta National-Hands down.

I'm sure you could make an argument that there are better courses. But the history of the course coupled with the allure of the tournament that I love so much, it's a no brainer.

#2 would probably be Pine Valley
#3 would be one of the traditional Golden Era courses like Oakmont, Merion, etc...

part of my criteria includes the exclusivity of the course. All of us to some degree want things we can't have.

Incidentally, I got an e-mail from American Express the other day to play Merion as part of a special event they are hosting. Of course the $800 cost (not including airfare) put it slightly out of my budget.

In my bag:

Driver: SQ 9.5, Graphite Stiff Shaft
3 Wood: Diablo 13 degree, Stiff Shaft
2 Hybrid: SQ 18 degree, Steel Stiff ShaftIrons: MP-30, 3-PWSW: 56* Vokey Copper spin-milledFW 52* VokeyFlat Stick Zing 2Ball: Pro V1x

Note: This thread is 4629 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!