IGNORED

Tiger Switching to Method Putter

kpaulhus
Note: This thread is 4949 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I tried the Method out a few months back and I was very impressed. First Nike club that I actually liked. For some reason, I've actually always wondered how Tiger would putt with a flanged 8802 style putter like Phil uses.

In a staff blue  Aerolite III

Razr Hawk 10.5* (BB 63 S)
Orig Steelhead 4W 16.8* (F)
Orig Steelhead 7W 20* (M-10)

JPX-800 Pro 4-pw (XP S300)

MP-T Blk Ni 51.06, MP-T Blk Ni 56.14, MP-T Blk Ni 58.10

Bettinardi BC-1 (34")

TM TP Black

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Woods's Method 001 was built to match the specifications of his Cameron putter, with an identical lie angle, single alignment dot on the head and a Ping grip.

So, it's basically the same putter, with a swoosh on it. $$$$$$$$$$$
A great shot is when you go for it and pull it off. A smart shot is when you don't have the guts to try it. ~ Phil Mickelson.

So, it's basically the same putter, with a swoosh on it.

uhhh no it's not. The method putter has grooves causing the ball to start rolling faster, which increases speed, his scotty is flat faced causes more of a skip and roll. He learned to putt on fast greens and wants something to help him on slow greens, he really wants to win, and please Tiger woods has nike on a leash

can i haz his old one, pls?

Im buying EVERY SC putter on ebay just in case he tosses his old one and someone ebays it. lol

"My greatest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my golf clubs for what I told her I paid for them."
What's in my SQ Tour Carry bag?:
Driver: R7 Quad 9.5*
3, 5 Wood: G5 clones
Irons: : AP1 (4-PW) Wedges: 52*, 56*, 62* Spin Milled Putter: White Hot 2 Ball BladeBalls: Shoes: My...

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Some of you guys think that Nike convinced Tiger to switch putters after 11 years for money? That's laughable.

Sure, I can believe that.

BUT, to say there wasn't the possibility of a financial benefit to Tiger based on the putter change is naive.

TM R11/Titleist 910F 15*/ Nike SQ2 20* & 23*/ Nike CCi 5-PW/ Nike SV 52* & 56*/ SC Newport 2 Studio Style 32.5"
Nike 20XIx/Pro V1x

So, it's basically the same putter, with a swoosh on it.

Not at all, it's just the same lie, alignment, and grip. If you (or me, or most people) were getting a new putter I would imagine you would want those things constant.

I don't think this is fishy or strange at all. Apparently he has been using it in practice rounds a lot, especially at the Masters. Nike has no reason to push Tiger because if for some reason he leaves them, Titleist or Taylor Made or Callaway will sign him in a matter of minutes. Then who does Nike have? They need Tiger mush more than Tiger needs them. Nike is still not thought of by everybody as top flight equipment, and if they loose Tiger they have a lot of ground to make up.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Nike has no reason to push Tiger because if for some reason he leaves them, Titleist or Taylor Made or Callaway will sign him in a matter of minutes. Then who does Nike have? They need Tiger mush more than Tiger needs them. Nike is still not thought of by everybody as top flight equipment, and if they loose Tiger they have a lot of ground to make up.

A year ago, you'd be right about the basis of Nike needing Tiger more than Tiger needs them. Today? Different story. And let's not forget that Tiger SHOULD/MIGHT feel a little gratitude towards Nike for sticking by him through his whole "ordeal". Gillette, AT&T;, Gatorade, etc. all dropped him like a bad habit. I really do believe Tiger appreciates Nike sticking w/ him, so I think he would have no problem making a putter change to make them even more happier. Again, that's pure speculation on my part.

What kind of drink do you see Tiger drinking on the course now? (Hint - It's not Gatorade) That's an example of the kind of guy Tiger is and what he thinks of companies and how they might treat him. And who are the big Titleist guys? Stricker? Love III? I think I'd put Cink, Casey, Glover, Kim, Duval, Schwartzel and Leonard up against the Titleist lineup. And the last point: The folks who still believe Nike makes inferior equipment are foolish and ignorant.

TM R11/Titleist 910F 15*/ Nike SQ2 20* & 23*/ Nike CCi 5-PW/ Nike SV 52* & 56*/ SC Newport 2 Studio Style 32.5"
Nike 20XIx/Pro V1x

A year ago, you'd be right about the basis of Nike needing Tiger more than Tiger needs them. Today? Different story.

I don't think so. He is still the biggest cash cow in golf. When he plays in an event, they show his highlights on ESPN before even the winner. Mickelson missed a cut before the Masters, and last week, and Tiger's one missed cut is much bigger news than Phil's combined. And I'm only using Phil as an example because he is #2 in the world and the #2 money maker in golf. Tiger moves the needle more than anyone in the business.

And who are the big Titleist guys? Stricker? Love III? I think I'd put Cink, Casey, Glover, Kim, Duval, Schwartzel and Leonard up against the Titleist lineup.

Stricker, DL3, Scott, McIlroy, Z Johnson, Ogilvy, Fowler, Watney, Fisher, Karlsson. Plus all of the guys that just play their balls. Some are paid some not. A few (that I assume are paid because they are on Titleist's players page on their website) are Harrington, Westwood, Villegas, Donald, Poulter, Mahan, Perry, Stenson, Cabrera, Crane, Choi, Verplank.

And the last point: The folks who still believe Nike makes inferior equipment are foolish and ignorant.

I agree, but the mindset is still there for many people, and Nike has yet to overcome that totally WITH Tiger. Without him would be even harder.

Your opinion is your opinion, I'm just presenting mine with what I think backs it up.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I don't think so. He is still the biggest cash cow in golf. When he plays in an event, they show his highlights on ESPN before even the winner. Mickelson missed a cut before the Masters, and last week, and Tiger's one missed cut is much bigger news than Phil's combined. And I'm only using Phil as an example because he is #2 in the world and the #2 money maker in golf. Tiger moves the needle more than anyone in the business.

Yes, he's easily the most popular face in golf, I'll never think/say any different. However, w/ Tiger you now have the added baggage PLUS all the money it would take to pay him. Would all the other golf companies "risk" their image to get him and pay him all that money? I'm not so sure.

Stricker, DL3, Scott, McIlroy, Z Johnson, Ogilvy, Fowler, Watney, Fisher, Karlsson. Plus all of the guys that just play their balls. Some are paid some not. A few (that I assume are paid because they are on Titleist's players page on their website) are Harrington, Westwood, Villegas, Donald, Poulter, Mahan, Perry, Stenson, Cabrera, Crane, Choi, Verplank.

Yeah. Obviously I left a few Titleist guys out. You make a fair point in regards to that, but my point of Nike having a pretty strong lineup themselves still stands. And Titleist pays a lot to have their ball as the most used on tour. Besides, we don't even need to compare Titleist to Nike.

I agree, but the mindset is still there for many people, and Nike has yet to overcome that totally WITH Tiger. Without him would be even harder.

I disagree to an extent. The reason Nike has had a hard time making people believers is that they're simply still relatively new to golf. Nike basically splashed into golf by signing Tiger in 2000 and then got serious w/ equipment. So, it's barely been a decade w/ them in golf. Throw in the fact that some of Nike's equipment designs have been and are non-traditional, many golfers simply won't go for Nike equipment. So, even though Nike makes equipment comparable to ANYONE else's, there will be many who simply won't either believe it or won't even want to give it a shot.

Nike 20XIx/Pro V1x

Sounds like a lot of overreaction to anything Tiger does these days. He changed putters....the world is coming to an end. Maybe he really likes the method better.

Driver.... Nickent DX Evolver V2 65 stiff /07 Burner YS6+ stiff .
4 wood..... Nickent 4DX
Hybrids.....Tour Edge Geomax 22* 25* 28*
Irons.....TM R7 6-P + AW,SW,LW
Putter.....Odyssey White Hot XG 2 BallBag.......Callaway ORG 14 A.L.I.C.E. Ball........Bridgestone e6 / Srixon Soft Feel...

I'm not ripping on him, i just find it odd that it has been impossible to tear away the 1 non Nike club from his bag since he signed with them to all of the sudden switching to one.

Personally I think it's his way of saying thanks to Nike for not ditching him the way his other sponsers did... How many Tiger fans do you think are out right now searching for a Method putter... Hell I'm even on Ebay looking for one..

In The Bag
SQ 5000 10.5

SQ Sumo 3 wood
MP-32 3-PWGolden Bear Gap Wedge SV Sand Wedge MP T Lob WedgeYes Golf Callie Putter

Sounds like a lot of overreaction to anything Tiger does these days. He changed putters....the world is coming to an end. Maybe he really likes the method better.

Rumor has it Tiger is switching barbers...

Personally I think it's his way of saying thanks to Nike for not ditching him the way his other sponsers did... How many Tiger fans do you think are out right now searching for a Method putter... Hell I'm even on Ebay looking for one..

Which, in a nutshell, is/was my main point.

Nike 20XIx/Pro V1x

This is anything but "all of a sudden". Several of his practice rounds at the Masters he played with the Method.

Yes and to be honest I am don't think he can afford to "burn" nike right now. We can all understand why he would stick with his long time scotty, but if he was to switch to Ping

(or whatever) putter now, that woudl look real bad for nike.
Driver R7 Superquad NV 55 shaft or Bridgestone J33 460 NV 75 shaft
3 and 5 Wood X
Hybrid original Fli Hi 21* or FT 22*
Irons AP2
Wedges Vokey 52* - 8 , 56* 14, 60*-7Putter California CoranodoBall TP RedGPS NeoRange Finder- Bushnell Tour V2 When Chuck Norris puts spin on the ball, the ball does not...

Rumor has it Tiger is switching barbers...

Now that would be a world ender !!!!!

Driver.... Nickent DX Evolver V2 65 stiff /07 Burner YS6+ stiff .
4 wood..... Nickent 4DX
Hybrids.....Tour Edge Geomax 22* 25* 28*
Irons.....TM R7 6-P + AW,SW,LW
Putter.....Odyssey White Hot XG 2 BallBag.......Callaway ORG 14 A.L.I.C.E. Ball........Bridgestone e6 / Srixon Soft Feel...

Tiger talks about adjustment for the pace of the greens- he doesn't need as much with the Method- what happens when he plays the faster US greens, - he's going to have to make a big "adjustment" with the "hot" Method face- or maybe go back to the SC......

Note: This thread is 4949 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!