IGNORED

Tiger Switching to Method Putter

kpaulhus
Note: This thread is 4956 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This has more to do with Nike now having the bit of an upper hand with Tiger - "We're the only sponsor that has stood by you. Time for you to give us a little something here and put this in the bag."

That's exactly what happened. Azinger made a comment on Friday or yesterday that, "Nike has been trying to get that putter in Tiger's bag for more than a year." Huh - a year ago, Tiger had no off-course issues.

I see he went back to the old one today. Makes no sense for him to make that change. I'd bet my 401k it had more to do with him appeasing Nike.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This has more to do with Nike now having the bit of an upper hand with Tiger - "We're the only sponsor that has stood by you. Time for you to give us a little something here and put this in the bag."

How does Nike have the upper hand? If Nike started pushing Tiger, don't think he won't dump them and go straight to Titleist (or Taylor Made, or whoever).

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Of course it's corporate pressure, just like his wearing the team Nike pink jersey. Why is this even being debated?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

He switched back to old scotty today for the final round, it will be intersting to see if he flip flops more this season/
Driver R7 Superquad NV 55 shaft or Bridgestone J33 460 NV 75 shaft
3 and 5 Wood X
Hybrid original Fli Hi 21* or FT 22*
Irons AP2
Wedges Vokey 52* - 8 , 56* 14, 60*-7Putter California CoranodoBall TP RedGPS NeoRange Finder- Bushnell Tour V2 When Chuck Norris puts spin on the ball, the ball does not...

Tiger can get sponsors if he wants to, Nike is happy to have him on board. If they were pushing a Method into his bag, why on earth would he pull it out for the last round, when his chances to win are close to none? He changed putter because of the speed, but for some reason he used the SC again today. We'll see what happens when he is back to speedier greens in the US.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Of course it's corporate pressure, just like his wearing the team Nike pink jersey. Why is this even being debated?

Shirt? What does it matter which brand of shirt he wears? The putter is his most important club in the bag, you can't possibly compare that to a shirt? He has used SC for over a decade now, he's got contracts with Nike on what equipment he should use and what clothes to wear. Why would he sign a new contract where he has to play a Nike putter now? And what position is Nike in to pressure him to change putter? He's the one showing off Nike for the entire world.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Shirt? What does it matter which brand of shirt he wears? The putter is his most important club in the bag, you can't possibly compare that to a shirt? He has used SC for over a decade now, he's got contracts with Nike on what equipment he should use and what clothes to wear. Why would he sign a new contract where he has to play a Nike putter now? And what position is Nike in to pressure him to change putter? He's the one showing off Nike for the entire world.

When Tiger is wearing the same shirt as all the other Nike clones - the same ones that are in their golf ball ads - rather than something uniquely TW, it's corporate. You're living in a bubble if you think these things aren't linked. He's won a gazillion tournaments on every type of green, for over decade using his SC. If he was going to switch to something without corporate pressure, why didn't he use a PING. Why specifically a Method?

Edit: I can't believe I'm discussing this while the actual tournament is on.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

When Tiger is wearing the same shirt as all the other Nike clones - the same ones that are in their golf ball ads - rather than something uniquely TW, it's corporate. Your living in a bubble if you think these things aren't linked. He's won a gazillion tournaments on every type of green, for over decade using his SC. If he was going to switch to something without corporate pressure, why didn't he use a PING. Why specifically a Method?

Tiger has his own TW line. He actually has two lines, the TW line and the TW platinum line. If you look at a lot of Nike's guys they wear a lot of stripes and lot of asymmetrical designed. Tiger rarely wears either of those.

Why a Nike? Because he can get one made to his exact feel and specs whenever he wants. Once he decided to drop the Scotty I'm sure Nike pressured him to use the Method, but they really don't have the "power" over him to get him to dump the Scotty.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

He´s still putting the same slow greens, now with his SC? That doesnt make sense.

I guess it depends on your putting stroke-I definitely prefer a blade on slower greens, but like the way a mallet works on faster greens.

• Administrator
I think his (relatively) poor ballstriking is a big part of the reason why he's missing in two ways.

1) He's not as close to the hole as he usually is.
2) When he DOES have a chance at birdie he feels more pressure to make it because of #1.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I think his (relatively) poor ballstriking is a big part of the reason why he's missing in two ways.

i think thats a fair point, but he still misses a lot of 6 footers that kept rounds going that he never seemed to miss before.

Relatively is the key word there. I wouldn't say his ball striking has been terrible by any means, but he is for sure not putting it as close to the hole as he normally does. That also puts more pressure on lag putting, and it leaves you with more 6-8 footers, which he hasn't been making with any regularity.

In my bag:

yea i know he hasnt been making any putts at all outside of easy putting range. he needs to start draining a few long putts during his round.

Well i'm sure he doesn't miss em on purpose. I think he has neglected his putting some to get his swing in order.

Driver: Ping g15 axivcore black stiff
3 wood: Cobra s9-1 f speed
Hybrids: 20* adams speedline classic round and 24*v1 peanut
Irons: Ping I5 5-pw
Wedges : cg14 50*,54* spin milled 58*Putter: Cameron newport detour

he started good.

Hey James...you ever get to go see an open? I'd love to be able to go to one. Love watching links golf!

Driver.... Nickent DX Evolver V2 65 stiff /07 Burner YS6+ stiff .
4 wood..... Nickent 4DX
Hybrids.....Tour Edge Geomax 22* 25* 28*
Irons.....TM R7 6-P + AW,SW,LW
Putter.....Odyssey White Hot XG 2 BallBag.......Callaway ORG 14 A.L.I.C.E. Ball........Bridgestone e6 / Srixon Soft Feel...

Hey James...you ever get to go see an open? I'd love to be able to go to one. Love watching links golf!

I've played links golf before at lahinch, it was really windy and was a load of fun.

I've never been to an open but I will go to one at some point.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

I wonder how many Method 001's Nike sold this week, only to have Tiger switch back to his Cameron for Sunday's round? I had to laugh.

Titleist 910D3 8.5* Aldila RIP
Titleist 910F 13.5* Diamana Kai'li
Nickent 4DX 20* and 24*
Tour Preferred 5-PW
52.08, 56.14, 60.04 Titleist Vokey

Odyssey Metal-X #9 Putter

Pro V1x

I was also pretty shocked he switched. He has been using a Scotty his entire career, and the same model for 11 which is really Mil Sec I think or PP2. I know he was using a Scotty Cameron Teryllium before that like when he won the '97 masters.

I wonder if it is actually his way of saying "thank you" to Nike for sticking by him in this tough time. After 71 PGA Tour Wins, 38 European Wins and 14 Majors...it seems peculiar to change now..

Note: This thread is 4956 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!