IGNORED

Carrying Weapons (on the golf course)

6iron

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have several firearms (pistols & shotguns), can carry if I choose but even living in the suburbs of Detroit, I haven't felt the need to. Its comforting to know that I have a choice. But the worst feeling is while I'm working in Mexico in the same area that the drug cartels are grabbing Americans for ransom and don't have the choice of protecting myself. I could be just another casualty, subjected to the violence from those that are armed and don't care what laws they're breaking.

"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred." Woody Allen
My regular pasture.

I remember that guy who killed 17 students in cold blood at a school in america.

actually, i have a friend whose sister was killed by that lunatic. but people like him find access to guns regardless.

with respect to ''america invading random countries,'' to which random countries are you referring? so basically, you don't blame the person who committed the act, you blame the people who pissed them off, right? so, i guess we deserved it and it was our fault that the towers were flown into? you're completely right, what the hell was i thinking?

Honestly the last thing i'm worried about is getting robbed at gun point on a golf course.

"May 31, a South Side resident and his wife were robbed on Jackson Park Golf Course by two teens with a gun."

http://www.hydepark.org/hpkcc/whistl...eriesspike.htm I'm sure that was the last thing this couple was worried about as well. Edit: And another... "Two robbery suspects arrested after gunshot fired at golf course" "One shot was fired on the 16th hole at Newman Golf Course on Wednesday afternoon, but it was no hole-in-one. Two 19-year-olds attempted to rob a man on the fairway of the par-5 hole about 1:15 p.m., police said." http://www.pjstar.com/homepage/x2085...ired-at-golfer And another... "Golf course robbery suspect caught at Kit Carson Park." "Police arrested a man Wednesday suspected of robbing a golf pro shop at gunpoint and fleeing with $1,000 of the store's money." http://www.nctimes.com/news/local/es...e2b86c1de.html Edit again: I just realized these occurred in states that do not allow conceal carry (Ill & CA). So that should speak volumes about how criminals will carry guns regardless of laws, and unarmed citizens are nothing more than targets to them.

Even par through 9 is my best.  I don't even want to think about what was my worst.

And you sound just like the ones that are oppressed and can't carry, but then, your opinion of me surely means about as much as the guys from Canada that say that they are glad their government doesn't trust them to carry and protect themselves.

No, you are mistaken. If you paid attention to this thread like a good boy, you would've noticed that I am actually FOR gun rights. I don't find it a NECESSITY but I find it a right none the less. I've been in many situations where I've felt I needed a gun, including encounters with humans and wild life animals.

WHat i AM against however are those who argue for gun rights for all the wrong reasons. Spouting off about "communist societies" that you know nothing about, and blabbering about illegal immigrants, which you also most likely know nothing about is my problem with SOME gun owners. But you can stick around in Mississippi waiting for that communist illegal immigrant, rapist murderer invasion to happen, so stick your guns in the air and be a cowboy. I'll be here in Seattle playing golf in comfort of not worrying about a mexican coming to shoot my face off. As a matter of fact, if I get a gun, its to protect myself against those red necks who call me "chink" and "gook"

DST Tour 9.5 Diamana Whiteboard
909F3 15* 3 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
909F3 18* 5 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
'09 X-Forged 3-PW Project-X 6.0 Flighted
CG15 56* X-Tour 60* Abaco

Sorry bub, our prisons are not filled with illegal aliens. They are filled with African Americans.

You are absolutely correct about the prisons. I wasn't referring to the 95% black population in the prisons. We'd have more illegal Mexicans in there if the LE officers didn't get their knees knocked out from under them every time they said something downgrading to an illegal or tried to jail or deport them. There is a great deal of crime related to them, nevertheless, because they have no respect for our laws or our people. That's really a subject for another thread, but I opened that can. I'll try to keep it more related to the topic at hand.

In my bag:
Driver X460 TOUR OPTIFIT 10.5* Graphite
FW 3W BIG BERTHA DIABLO 13* Graphite
FW 5W BIG BERTHA DIABLO 18* Graphite
Irons X-22 IRONS 5 - PW & SW GraphitePutter Odyssey Dual Force Rossie IIUnder my bag: 2007 EZGO ~ Customized

No, you are mistaken.

In your eyes but then, I have nothing to prove to you. This is a public forum that will provide many different opinions and outlooks on subject matter. Deal with it.

Maybe you should keep anyone from being mistaken by put some info about yourself in your profile. All we have to go by is the comments in you posts. If I do have some kind of a problem then you sir, have it equally as bad. Your downgrading comments toward me do not lift you to a level any higher than you think I'm on. You know... "don't try to get the splinter out of your neighbor's eye until you remove the log from your own". I'm not a redneck cowboy, looking for someone to shoot. I am a proud American that sees the liberal society trying to remove the freedoms that our ancestors fought so hard for. I'm not too sure about you though. You "seem", by your referring to yourself as a "chink" or "gook" to be one that probably made a recent trip across the big water and took up homesteading. Again, with nothing else to go on but your comments, that is merely an assumption. How old are you and how long have you been in America? You just don't seem to be as proud of it as I am. My goal here was not to argue with you, but you ARE the one that started trying to rattle my cage with your namecalling and comments directed straight to me, because you didn't agree what I posted. I certainly didn't direct degrading comments to you. Do you, by chance, have the "short man syndrome" and feel the need to pick fights over the internet for more self-confidence? Yep, I believe that's the problem. Take care and have a good life. Go play some golf and leave the guns and gun people alone. Oh, and stay away from those rednecks that call you ugly names and hurt your feelings. :( I won't be addressing your posts any more after this so go fuss with that guy in the mirror.

In my bag:
Irons X-22 IRONS 5 - PW & SW GraphitePutter Odyssey Dual Force Rossie IIUnder my bag: 2007 EZGO ~ Customized

Gun ownership sure does create a diversity of opinion. But to answer the question I have never felt the need to carry a weapon on any golf course I have ever played.

Having said that I grew up on a cattle ranch here in Arizona and learned a lot of things early in life including how to shoot and handle firearms. I still own several and live in a state that permits you to carry a firearm most places if you choose. But seldom do I ever do that because there just isn't any need. I do believe the bumper sticker that says "Outlaw guns and only outlaws will have them". That would seem to be the case in most countries outside the U.S. where criminals don't seem to have much problems getting firearms and law abiding citizens are not permitted to own them. There are a lot of ways to kill someone if you decide you're going to do that and you really don't need a gun in the U.S. But the other side of that question is would you trust a Government that doesn't trust its law abiding citizens to own one if they choose? So I am a second amendment supporter and seldom carry a gun outside of an occasional bird hunt because I choose not to.

Butch

I used to play with a guy who was a state trooper. One time he met me at the course for an early morning round after a late night shift. We're in the middle of the first hole and he realizes he still has his revolver strapped to his calve. He was more embarrassed than anything else.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

I used to play with a guy who was a state trooper. One time he met me at the course for an early morning round after a late night shift. We're in the middle of the first hole and he realizes he still has his revolver strapped to his calve. He was more embarrassed than anything else.

That is a good way to do it. Instead of carrying a gun, bring a statie along!

Lots of people carry legally and I'm sure that when you're out and about you've walked by numerous people with guns concealed on their person.

But.. but.. if so many people can kill you at a moments notice then isn't it just the most dangerous place in the world here? No.. you don't notice how many people, friends, coworkers carry because they don't flaunt it and they don't cause problems. Trust me you'll be a lot more happy your coworker has a pistol if someone decides to hold up your store. Not because it should turn into a wild west battle but because if the thief decides to not leave any witnesses you have an option available to you.

To you UK guys who think you feel much safer than in America: When you're cornered by someone bigger than you who has a knife or just could easily beat you with their fists, wouldn't you like an equalizer? Is it worth possible death to make sure that law abiding citizens can't carry around their 'weapons'? Gun laws do one thing very well: make sure that people who responsibly use firearms and follow the law can't get them. Yes i sound like an NRA spokesman, my bad..

I think the real question here is: How do you carry on a golf course but keep it easy to reach? IWB carry seems like it would really interfere with your swing.

In the bag: I'm not a complete nike fanboy.. I just happened to pull some strings and get fitted at the oven
Driver| SQ Machspeed 8.5
Fairway Woods|3,5| SQ Machspeed fairway woods
Hybrids |3,4 iron| SQ Machspeed hybrid
Irons|PW-5| Split Cavity Forged IronWedges| 54 bent to 53 and 58...

This is a topic I never thought I'd respond to but....

When I was in AZ this past winter, I laughed when I read a sign in the pro shop that mentioned 'no weapons on the course'. Evidently Arizona has law that any non-felon can open carry a weapon. I got paired up with a guy and we were well into the round when we got on the topic of guns, to which he opens his bag and shows off his pistol.

Finally, I don't have a problem with people carrying firearms or owning all types of heavy weaponry, however, I think it's ridiculous. When I was in the military, we had a gun safety briefing and one of the speakers was a retired policeman. If I remember correctly, he served for almost thirty years and fired his weapon on two occasions, totaling something like twenty rounds. Of those twenty, he missed the target with everyone. His point was that he was trained and proficient in the use of a weapon and still wasn't successful, how would a civilian fare? If you want a weapon for safety, he suggested using a shotgun.

Whoever came up with the saying, "A bad day of golf is better than a good day at work", is a moron.

"May 31, a South Side resident and his wife were robbed on Jackson Park Golf Course by two teens with a gun."

Huh. I've often been to Jackson Park with a camera or two to shoot the park, noticed the course, and have wanted to play there. Maybe not a good idea. I'll make the lakefront course the first one I play in Cicago instead

The above happened in 2007 by the way, but Chicago has been averaging about five shootings a day this summer. Two cops have been robbed and killed outside their homes this year. It's not good at all.

5 shootings a day and strict gun laws. hmmmmm. Sounds like the criminals don't know the law!

In my bag:

yeah im not having a go or anything, i actually think America is awesome and i know there's a lot of violent crime over here, heck we just had a week of a guy in hiding with a sawn off shotgun after shooting his ex girlfriend, her new boyfriend and a policeman and then eventually shooting himself after an 8 hour stand off with the police, so i know we're far from perfect, id just feel paranoid going out knowing that anybody could have a lethal weapon on them at any time legally

the judicial system in England needs some work too. We have a chap living in the States who cannot return to England. Seems that after SCUBA he was asleep with his girlfriend when someone broke into their dwelling to do harm to his old girlfriend and her new boyfriend. The chap used his underwater knife to do harm to the invader. Because his knife was large the court ruled that the chap had an unfair advantage against the intruder, Next they probably want a pissing contest. This is illogical and is forfeiting of personal rights to safety. If he had used a hunting rifle, he would have received jail time instead of probation. Break in the front door of a house in many states will get you killed and you won't do it again. I'll take states over making sure that the weapon that I am using does not give me an advantage over an intruder.

Taylormade Driver HT
Taylormade 3 HT

Mcgregor 7w
Vulcan irons 5-P
Solus 53 61

Vokey 56

Scotty Caneron Flange/ Ping Cushin

Srixon ZStar

71 gold tees

bring cash

This is a topic I never thought I'd respond to but....

I'm not a LEO but fare pretty well firing a pistol. So does my wife, who is also not a LEO. Just becasue your reference point (retired policeman) was "trained proficiently" and still can't hit a target with his pistol doesn't mean I or millions of others can't. I would say the retired LEO you spoke with is a lousy shot....his problem / not mine.

Agreed on using a shotgun in the home when possible. But, don't agree that should be my only option.....nor is it my only option.

In the bag:
Cleveland Launcher 9.5º Driver
Cleveland 4W 17º
Mizuno MX Hybrid 20ºMizuno MX-200's 4 - GCleveland G10 56º SWOddysey 2ball with line Putter

I'm not a LEO but fare pretty well firing a pistol. So does my wife, who is also not a LEO. Just becasue your reference point (retired policeman) was "trained proficiently" and still can't hit a target with his pistol doesn't mean I or millions of others can't. I would say the retired LEO you spoke with is a lousy shot....his problem / not mine.

I worked with a lot of cops who weren't any better at shooting than "proficient". Some were great shots, but they were usually former Marines. I took top honors in shooting at my department after all of 15 months of shooting-never fired a handgun before that. I couldn't come close to doing that with any sort of group of recreational shooters-they'd absolutely wipe the floor with me. Cops are trained to be proficient, and how to handle a gun safely, but that's about it.

Don't think that all police are not sharpshooters. I have been a long time member of a rifle and pistol club. Since Obama became the head of state, we have had to close our membership. I worked while in college with Pinkertons at night security with a city policeman. He always carried a service revolver and another holstered at the ankle. He stated if you carry a weapon you should carry two. One they can find and the one that will save your life.

A shot gun is your best home defense. You'll have more firepower than an Uzzi and the shot will not kill your neighbor in his house. I recommend the "Judge" This is a revolver that will shoot a 410 and 45 long colt. If you choose a shotgun get one with a shorter barrel and a youth stock because this is more manuverable. Only use the weapon when you are sure that you can stand up to all the whining and antigun crap that will come your way.

Profeciency only come from practice, We have several women in the club who rank Master and AAA marksmen. We used to have matches with the local army base but it eventually ended. The GI's were using military issue weapons and ammo and were competing against shooters who had a tuned weapon with bench loaded ammunition. This was not a fair competition. The police also have to use what they are issued and cannot use bench loads. A warning to those who choose to protect themselves. Never use bench loaded ammunition. Always use commercially manufactured.

Taylormade Driver HT
Taylormade 3 HT

Mcgregor 7w
Vulcan irons 5-P
Solus 53 61

Vokey 56

Scotty Caneron Flange/ Ping Cushin

Srixon ZStar

71 gold tees

bring cash