IGNORED

Carrying Weapons (on the golf course)

6iron

And to mcfc_nick, England's crime rate went through the roof when guns were outlawed.

read my post to him after it

Cobra S2 Driver
Nike SQ 3 Wood
Nike Sumo SQ 3 Hybrid
Callaway X-16 Irons 3-PW
Nike Victory Red 56 and 60 WedgesScotty Cameron Newport 1.5 Putter

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

.32, .357 Mag., .357 Sig., .38, .380, 9mm., .40 S&W;, .44 Spl. and Mag. or .45 ACP (my personal favorite)

Ted? How did you get out of prison? I figured that unibomber thing was a life sentence for sure! You have a putting green outside that cabin now or what? Probably alot of room to hit balls.

Driver: Ping g15 axivcore black stiff
3 wood: Cobra s9-1 f speed
Hybrids: 20* adams speedline classic round and 24*v1 peanut
Irons: Ping I5 5-pw
Wedges : cg14 50*,54* spin milled 58*Putter: Cameron newport detour

no offence but its things like this that make me love it that im English and not American, id hate to have to carry a gun around to protect myself wherever i go, it'd be unthinkable to even contemplate that over here to be honest

Please note that most of America is not this way... especially in the south.

• Administrator
Most of us have more sense than that.

It's not about having "sense" Fourputt. Again, everyone I know that carries does so with a logical, good reason.

I can carry here in PA but choose not to. However, there's a gun with a clip nearby to my bed - perfectly safe from my kid but close enough that I can get it if someone ever dare break in or pose a threat to myself. In Florida when I'd arrive at some docks and things at 4am or 5am to go out fishing, I'd carry a gun. I'd be driving around at 3am through unknown parts of town. Obviously I've never had to use it, but I did see the logic in having that option available to me. If I ever moved to Pittsburgh, I'd probably have a gun in the car depending on where I was headed. Even if someone's not going to carjack me, they may carjack someone else, or I may see a beating or whatever. Carrying isn't necessarily about protecting only yourself, but those around you as well. And one of the many telling stats which supports the rights of people to carry: victims who are armed are one third as likely to suffer serious injury or death over unarmed victims.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

For most sensible Americans it's equally inconceivable. I've lived in the west for more than 45 years, in Montana and Colorado. I've owned a number of rifles and handguns, but I've never felt any need to carry one unless I was going shooting.

You have

NO IDEA why I carry a gun, NONE! It has nothing to do with paranoia. Let's not generalize here alright. After all, carrying a firearm is an unalienable right that is guaranteed by our Constitution. Just because one chooses to exercise their rights does not mean that they are some sort of paranoid nut job. Quite the contrary actually. I think that you would find that the vast majority of people who carry have very sensible reasons for doing so and, compared to the average American, are very responsible upstanding citizens that have given a lot of thought to their choice to carry a firearm. After all, carrying a gun is not convenient nor comfortable. If you choose not to carry, that's just fine as well.

Yonex Ezone Type 380 | Tour Edge Exotics CB Pro | Miura 1957 Irons | Yururi Wedges | Scotty Cameron Super Rat | TaylorMade Penta

No offense but living in Montana, gives one much less of a reason to carry, unless your going for a hike. The east coast is becoming a real mess IMO, you would feel unsafe just by reading your local paper. I think a storms brewing and if the economy doesnt improve, there is going to be a real mess between Newark, NJ and DC.

I think that the "Rangers" and "Marshalls" should be allowed to open carry to discourage slow play, give them badges while we're at it...how about a taser penalty for slow play...that would get 'em moving...There are a few people that I know that should never have access to a firearm while playing golf...they would be too tempted to use it...one in particular on himself. I have never felt unsafe on the course except in adjoining fairways when someone yells "FORE"...

Seriously, I have a license to carry concealed but don't own a firearm. I don't know anyone who does carry in the golf bag but then again, I have never asked. It is not something that comes up in casual conversation. I know that most people that do carry understand that it is a last resort option, if you pull it you better intend on using it, and if you do use it, it will cost you in attorney's fees even if you did so lawfully. I think that is why we see responsible behavior with legally permitted individuals.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

So 65% of homicides in USA are with Firearms, 8% in UK. 0.12/100,000 pop uk, 2.97/100,000 pop USA. Homicide rate 1.45 UK/ 4.55 US. 1.58 non gun homicides US vs 1.33UK.

The figures for homicide rates in the UK vs US are almost entirely down to lack of firearm availability with only some people still getting the job done by other means.

Sayid, is that you? Goto 33 seconds in.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You need a gun on a golf course?... All I can say is wow!

I am not going to get into a debate about guns laws or control but really??!?

I played about 6 times when I was over their recently and I was lucky to not even consider needing one....

"Let the bears pay the bear tax I pay the Homer tax!"

For most sensible Americans it's equally inconceivable. I've lived in the west for more than 45 years, in Montana and Colorado. I've owned a number of rifles and handguns, but I've never felt any need to carry one unless I was going shooting. The sort of person who feels that he has to carry to feel safe is a tiny paranoid minority of the US population. Most of us have more sense than that.

I take it you've never been robbed before? Trust me, it will change your outlook on things.

In UK you can go to prison for possession of a knife in public. From what has been said it doesn't sound like an offense in the US?

seriously? you're joking, right? i carry a big 5 inch folding pocket knife pretty much everywhere i go. especially when traveling in large cities. i was about to get jumped by a group of 6 dudes in the slums of buenos aires, argentina. threw down my back pack and pulled out my knife. of course, they just expected a traveling american would give them their valuables, apparently they didn't want what i was going to give them instead so they walked off cursing americans in spanish. and i still had my stuff.

but to answer your question, no it's not illegal. in fact, here in the south you could walk into a h.s. classroom at random and probably 1/4 of the boys will have his pocket knife on his person. i think that's illegal to have them at school, but they're worn so often people forget to remove them.

I take it you've never been robbed before? Trust me, it will change your outlook on things.

I don't have a problem at all with responsible gun ownership, and can see the value for home protection.

What I don't understand is how carrying a gun helps to protect yourself. I would assume in most robbery attempts that the criminal has his weapon out and pointed at you before you have an opportunity to respond. So now you're in a situation where you're staring at a gun, in the hands of some shaky crack addict. Would you try to pull your own weapon, and risk him firing before you have a chance to even get your gun out of your holster? Contrary to what you see in the movies, I don't think even trained police officers would attempt that move. So I don't really see how concealed carry really helps protect me. Of course if someone ELSE is being robbed, I would be in a position to offer assistance.

HiBore 10.5 driver
GT-500 3- and 5-woods
Bazooka JMax 4 Iron Wood
Big Bertha 2008 irons (4 and 5 i-brids, 6i-9i,PW)
Tom Watson 56 SW Two-Ball putter

Wow. This makes me rethink golfing in the US. I'm not worried about being robbed at places like Bandon Dunes, but I am worried about some senile old dude thinking he's grabbing his rangefinder and blowing my head off.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.