IGNORED

Bunker Shots

Note: This thread is 4968 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Sand....the worst part of my game. I can usually get out, but the ball stays low or only makes it halfway to where I want it to land.

I am gonna try some of these things.

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

On greenside bunkers, I've started using my 60* more. I use a square stance to the target, weight slightly forward, and focus on taking an easy half-backswing then accelerating down and through. I concentrate on hitting a spot about 2 inches behind the ball and taking a dollar-sized swing-through. I've noticed where I get in trouble is if I immediately come out of the swing as soon as the club gets to the ball, and you have to get that downswing acceleration.

I'll use my 56* if I have a good amount of green to land it on or the sand is super fine.

Callaway Org14 Sport w/ Clicgear Cart:

Callaway X 460 9* - Callaway X 15* - TaylorMade 19*/21* Hybrid - Callaway Diablo Forged 4-PW - Titleist 50/56/60 - Rife Cayman Brac - Bridgestone xFIXx/B330-RX - TRUE Linkswear Supporter!

For my handicap I dont have a problem with bunkers at all really. I learned this trick allthough it is a bit of a sin it is good.

Naturally, you mean to use the line when practicing. Grounding your club in a bunker is a penalty.

Callaway Org14 Sport w/ Clicgear Cart:

Callaway X 460 9* - Callaway X 15* - TaylorMade 19*/21* Hybrid - Callaway Diablo Forged 4-PW - Titleist 50/56/60 - Rife Cayman Brac - Bridgestone xFIXx/B330-RX - TRUE Linkswear Supporter!

Naturally, you mean to use the line when practicing. Grounding your club in a bunker is a penalty.

Right most of my rounds are practice anyways but yes i wouldnt do that in a competition of anysorts. Its just that now after doing that so many times I can invision that line and I dont even need it anymore.

Driver:callaway.gifBig Bertha 460cc 10* Hybrids: adams.gif A7 3-4H  Irons: adams.gif A7 5i-PW
Wedges: cleveland.gifCG 12 50*, CG 14 56*, CG12 60* Putt Putt:odyssey.gif White ICE Tour Bronze 1 Putter

The greenside bunker shot is the easiest shot in the game, IMO. You dont have to hit the ball...

Just some things for a run of the mill 10-15 yd bunker shot....

Open the face...when you think its open enough, open it up some more. Bounce. Bounce. Bounce. Bounce is your friend.
wide stance (shoulder length) and hands lower than normal.
weight forward - I like to kink in my right knee a little so i dont sway.
accelerate- I dont think the length of the backswing is critical, just do not stop at the ball and NO FLIPPING YOUR HANDS! Hold it off it you have too.

And POOF! The ball comes out. Hooray!

Make the putt and collect your sandy winnings.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

The greenside bunker shot is the easiest shot in the game, IMO. You dont have to hit the ball...

What if it's hard packed sand, for example some courses I play at the sand feels almost like dirt because it's so hard packed or wet. In those situations I don't believe you want to open the face for any additional bounce because you'll bounce right off the top and blade the ball. I have a 56 with 11* bounce and a 60 with 7* bounce, for hard packed sand which one should i be using to "dig" in a bit more? I'm thinking the 60 with less bounce?

In my Mizuno Aerolite IV Stand Bag:

Driver: Titleist 910D2 (9.5°, RIP Alpha 70S)
Wood: Titleist 910F (15°, RIP Alpha 70S)

Irons: Mizuno MP-68 Irons (3 - PW, C-Taper S+), Mizuno MP-33 2 Iron (C-Taper S+)

Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled (56.11 - Bent to 54°, 60.07 Tour Chrome, C-Taper S+ DSS)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 (34")

Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x

GPS: Garmin Approach g5

Most useful training aids (for me) that I use: Tour Striker Pro 7 Iron, Swingyde, Tour Sticks alignment sticks, Dave Pelz Putting Tutor

What if it's hard packed sand, for example some courses I play at the sand feels almost like dirt because it's so hard packed or wet. In those situations I don't believe you want to open the face for any additional bounce because you'll bounce right off the top and blade the ball. I have a 56 with 11* bounce and a 60 with 7* bounce, for hard packed sand which one should i be using to "dig" in a bit more? I'm thinking the 60 with less bounce?

Nah, not really. Its still generally the same shot. Open it up and accelerate. The only way you will blade it is if you flip your hands. The ball will likely shoot out lower, and that is an adjustment you have to make over a normal bunker shot. The 60/7 would probably be a better club for that scenario. I use a 58/12 for nearly all my green side bunker shots. In that type of hard packed wet sand, i usually just take a more aggressive and steep swing.

THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

NO FLIPPING YOUR HANDS! Hold it off it you have too.

I disagree. In the case of sand shots flipping actually helps. It adds bounce and loft to the clubs, two things you were advocating.

I couldn't find a great video om YouTube, but they did a Swing Vision of a bunker shot at the PGA on sunday, and you could really see the player flip his hands. If I do find a better video I'll post it.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It might be unorthodox, but on bunker shots where I need to carry it around 20-25 yds, I take a pw and swing full and smooth. It comes out a little lower, rolls a bit more, and gets the job done. If you short side yourself and have no green to work with, well good luck I guess because this won't work as well.

I play them like flops, and swing about 101%. It helps to know that you will get the ball to the hole.

In the bag:
Driver: 907 D2/Proforce V2 R-flex
Hybrid: Burner '07 3 Hybrid/Re-Ax Shaft/19* (4* draw bias)
Irons: AP1 4-7i
AP2 8-PWedges: Spin Milled Tour Chrome (52.06/56.11) VR Forged Chrome 60.06Putter: Ignite 001 Ball: Pro V1/ One Tour/

Note: This thread is 4968 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!