IGNORED

Broke 90 finally !!!

Note: This thread is 4002 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So I finally crossed the 90 mark after have hit 90 on the dot 3 times before. Shot an 87 with +11 on the front 9 and +4 on the back. Had two birdies and missed my third one. Now I just need to take my putting to the next level and I think I can break 85 :D

Ahh.. feels good that all the range work is showing off. How does one stay in the 80s consistently ? short game ? I make 40 putts per round so that needs to really come down.

Putting kills me. I think the short game is the hardest to keep consistent. But, I say if a man gets that under control he can probably be pretty consistent.

40 putts per round is not going to get it done definitely work on getting that number down and you will start playing much better. Also, if anybody wants to lower their scores they should probably work on their short game.

Congratulations! I know how you feel. I've set some goals for myself this year too. Breaking 80 is what I'm working towards. Just when I think my putting is getting better something else falls apart. Gotta love this game!!!

So I finally crossed the 90 mark after have hit 90 on the dot 3 times before. Shot an 87 with +11 on the front 9 and +4 on the back. Had two birdies and missed my third one. Now I just need to take my putting to the next level and I think I can break 85 :D

That needs to come down by an average of around 10. 30 putts doesn't mean you're putting well, it means you're chipping well, which is the key to knocking shots off your game.

If you really are having 40 putts a round, that is truly dreadful. :( You'll easily break 90 consistently even with a small improvement in your putting.

That needs to come down by an average of around 10. 30 putts doesn't mean you're putting well, it means you're chipping well, which is the key to knocking shots off your game.

If I bring it down to 30 putts I will be a mid to low single digit handi capper , that would be something :D

If I bring it down to 30 putts I will be a mid to low single digit handi capper , that would be something :D

Putting 30 times in a round is a true achievement. Tour players avg 29.19 putts per round(best avg is Mike Weir of 27.67) and they are really good putters.

Hey me too! Well, I broke 45 at least. Shot a 43 in nine holes, which was +8. My previous best was a 45 and I've hit 91 several times when I play a full round.

I really wish I had time to play 18 yesterday. I almost always play the back nine several strokes better than the front, and I really would have like to seen what I could have shot. I tripled the first hole, and the rest was pars and bogies, with a total of 16 putts.

Interesting to hear everyone say short game is the key, and I agree - I'm exactly the opposite though. My short game is very consistent from 160 in, but I have been horrific off the tee - hitting ob too often. I think I found out that I my lower body has been too busy and last time out I seemed to straighten things out. We'll see, but one course I play is a bit shorter and the worst I've done on it is a 93 (played 6 times) and broke 90 twice (the only times I've ever done that), which for a 20 hndcap is pretty damn good.

Congrats. I'm still trying to break 90, I've hit it on the nose 4 times now. Last week I shot a 96 with 41(!!) putts. But if I look at my round stats, it actually was off the tee that killed me. I only hit 1/11 fairways when using the driver. In retrospect, I should have only used it 9 or 8 times and gone to my 3 hybrid more (which has been extremely solid for me).

Hope to hear more from you and rounds in the 80s!!

Congrats. I'm still trying to break 90, I've hit it on the nose 4 times now. Last week I shot a 96 with 41(!!) putts. But if I look at my round stats, it actually was off the tee that killed me. I only hit 1/11 fairways when using the driver. In retrospect, I should have only used it 9 or 8 times and gone to my 3 hybrid more (which has been extremely solid for me).

I know people say short game is key, but its important to hit your driver on the fairway or close by. A well hit driver will leave you with an 8 iron or less into the green on an average par 4. That is important. I am able to hit 6-8 GIRs per round and I think thats mostly due to my driver. No need to hit it very long, just keep it in play.

I broke into the 80's about 3 weeks ago, and have only had one round since (out of 5) in the 90's. Even managed to post an 82 last week. Could do no wrong that day....strong off the box...putts were falling. Today, however....Could NOT get off the box today...shot 48 on the front, then got it together and came in with a 41. I'm like Salty..thank goodness my 3H was solid today, because my Driver and 3W were not cooperating!

Congrats on breaking the 90 barrier :) My advice on breaking 90 would be to have a sharp short game. The short game is where you need to save yourself. I believe that if you have a confident short game then you are always on the path to breaking the barrier. I am having the struggle with breaking 80 at the moment. I can never put back to back rounds together. I played yesterday and shot 80 on the dot. 1 over on the first 9 and 9 over on the back (36/44). Short game let me down big time on the back nine, but what came into play was the lack of cencentration on my game and more on the score. Lost focus and the bad shots menatally made it worse, where I should have been concetrating on each shot and having a positive mindset.

Note: This thread is 4002 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!