Sign in to follow this  
Newbie Collection Agency

Beginner Question: Righted Handed Clubs for a Left Handed Player?

Note: This thread is 5358 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

5 posts / 12717 viewsLast Reply

I have what is probably a pretty dumb beginner's question:

I'm just getting started with golf. I have zero experience. A have a few friends who are willing to teach me, and they generally have spare clubs. The thing is, their clubs are right handed, and I'm left handed.

Is it possible for a left-handed person to learn to golf right handed? I know it's possible for southpaws to learn to throw & catch a baseball or football right handed, for example.

-joshua

Register for free today and you won't see this ad spot again!

Phil Mickelson is a righty that plays golf left-handed. Check to see which eye is dominant - that may have more of an impact on your golf game than which side of the ball you stand on.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I play lefty and have for over 25 years.If you play sports lefty by all means golf is nice from the right side of the ball.Remember Jack Nicklaus told a young Mike Weir to play lefty and look what it got him!!!

I play lefty and have for over 25 years.If you play sports lefty by all means golf is nice from the right side of the ball.Remember Jack Nicklaus told a young Mike Weir to play lefty and look what it got him!!!

That Jack Nicklaus letter to Mike Weir may be one of my favorite golf stories, thanks for reminding me of it Flap.

I say try it out from both sides and see which one you feel more comfortable from. Oh yeah, if you want to find out which is your dominant eye. Take your hands, make a triangle with you index fingers as the sides and thumbs as the base. Hold your arms out at length and slowly bring the triangle towards your face, which ever eye the triangle comes towards is your dominant eye.

I have what is probably a pretty dumb beginner's question:

Hi Joshua:

I am a left-handed golfer who is, in essence, a beginner. This will be my fifth season playing. First, PLEASE DON"T let your friends teach you if they are not qualified professional instructors! Sure it's nice for them to offer you clubs and teaching instructions, but get your first few lessons from someone who can teach you basics like grip, stance, alignment and the actual "feel" of using your clubs. Most driving ranges have specials at the beginning of the season. But first, decide for yourself if you are a true lefty. Do you pitch left-handed? Use a hockey stick as a leftie? Or, are you ambidextrous? Yes, you can learn to play golf right-handed (look at Phil Mickelson-a right handed person by birth but learned how to play left handed watching his father - it was like looking into a mirror, he said). When I decided to learn the game, I knew right away that I would be a better left-handed golfer than rightie..I just knew. Now, at the driving range, I take my husband's right handed pitching wedge and use it just to know that I can do it, but still prefer...feel more comfortable...playing the way I do. More and more golf stores are supplying left-handed golf clubs on the cheap, so you can always get a good deal...and, the driving ranges always have a few stock clubs lying around to use until you decide to spend $$$. Hope this helps. If you need some beginner tips, please visit my website. And, you can always ask me questions. I'm here to help! Best wishes, Stacy

Note: This thread is 5358 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!