IGNORED

Tiger & The Ryder Cup

BallStriker
Note: This thread is 4999 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

We seem to have a lot Eldridge fanboys here.

And who, do tell, is Eldridge?

I love it when someone tries to have an attitude and can't even get some simple things right. Ooooh, SLAM! You called people "Eldridge fanboys"! To answer the question I hope he either qualifies by winning the PGA or he doesn't play (captain's pick, barely qualifies) at all.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh sorry...ELDRICK

Guess IM not a fanboy...Im ok with that

In my L8...
Driver: Launcher 460 9.5
Fairway Wood: 18 degree hybrid
Irons: G5 3-GW
Wedges: m/b 50, 56Putter: Anser 2Ball: D2 Feel

oh sorry...ELDRICK

Great we got that settled, I'm sure everyone cares. Any chance we might get on with the subject now?

I agree with McGlenno, if he plays, it should be through the money list, not captains pick. For his own pride in any case. He sits at spot number 9 now, but I haven't figured out how the points work. Tiger is projected to 114th spot in the FedEx cup after Bridgestone, so that spot number 9 is not exactly telling of how he is better than most at the moment. How does the Ryder Cup Points List work for the US team by the way? What give you points and how much?

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

How does the Ryder Cup Points List work for the US team by the way? What give you points and how much?

$1,000 earned in 2009 major championships -

1 point $1,000 earned in 2010 full-field PGA Tour events - 1 point $1,000 earned in 2010 alternate-field PGA Tour events - ½ point $1,000 earned in 2010 major championships - 2 points Tiger's probably going to drop to at least 10th place in the standings, and face an even larger deficit in point total, by the end of today, as the three players he's chasing for the eighth AQ spot (Kuchar, Glover, D. Johnson) plus the one immediately trailing him in the standings (Mahan) are all currently in the top 16. In addition, four players further back in the points (Watney, B. Watson, Van Pelt, O'Hair) are in contention for the win, and stand to make huge gains in the Ryder Cup standings with a victory (O'Hair, currently 19th in the points, would likely jump into the top eight if he holds his lead today).

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Asked again today if he would play in the RC at a Captain's pick, Tiger said "Yes"

I think I heard a collective "Fu*k" coming from across the Atlantic, as they know Tiger will have his groove back by then.......

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

Asked again today if he would play in the RC at a Captain's pick, Tiger said "Yes"

I really don't think anyone on the European side is too worried about him.Even at the peak of his powers his Ryder cup record was never that impressive.And lets face it, he's nowhere near his peak.Monty said this week he hopes Tiger is there, says it all.
A great shot is when you go for it and pull it off. A smart shot is when you don't have the guts to try it. ~ Phil Mickelson.

I really don't think anyone on the European side is too worried about him.Even at the peak of his powers his Ryder cup record was never

LOL...just trying to drum up some good ole pre-RC banter...I like it....as for your team's captain, Mrs. Doubtfire, he just wants to make sure that -- if the Euros are fortunate enough to win -- that he doesn't have to answer the question of whether they would have won if Tiger had played for the USA.

Fact is that the Euros don't play well in the favorites role......they will fold like a K-Mart deck chair....

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

Tiger hasn't been the number 1 player in the world for a while now, even though the rankings says he is. He needs to qualify for the Cup, period. If he's asked to play as a Captains pick (which I doubt), he might very well decline, who knows.

He hasn't played like it, but then again, the #2 player in the world hasn't played like the #2 player in the world should either. And the #3, as well as he had been playing, has a busted calf. I'm not really disagreeing with you, it just seems like no one is. When Vijay took briefly took #1 five or so years back, that dude was absolutely on fire. Didn't he have to win something like 9 times to overtake Tiger? Anyway, I digress, but my point is that it almost seems like no one wants to step up and take advantage while they can, except for Strick and Westwood, who have had injury problems. I can't honestly pick out who in the world is playing best right now...

oh sorry...ELDRICK

Come on dude, fanboy?? Why dont you go ahead and spell it "fanboi", and then we'll give you a few more cool points. Intentionally misspelling someone's name is about as cool as it gets! I mean, you're just about as cool as Justin Beiber at this point! Congrats!!!

As far as TW playing/not playing in the Ryder Cup, I got the impression that his reasoning was that he isn't playing well enough, and that spot could go to someone else could contribute more. Regardless of the fans/media reaction, that would be the more noble (for lack of a better word) thing to do. I'm sure it would get spun somehow, but if he doesn't put the pieces together between now and then, letting that spot go to someone else would be the best thing he can do for the team. If he can at least get it back to the place he was at for the Masters, Saturday at the U.S. Open, or the first day of the British, it may be worth him playing because even in that less than sharp state, he's still better than most players out there. Of course, it looks like there's no way to guarantee that, so I'm probably making a useless point

Follow me on Twitter - TST_Justin
 -  -  - 

This Week's Bag Drop - Miura Passing Point 9003 Forged Irons and Adams Idea Pro a12 Irons and Hybrids  - Sweet new forged cavity backs from Miura (do they make any irons that arent simply beautiful?) and irons/hybrids from Adams created with...

LOL...just trying to drum up some good ole pre-RC banter...I like it....as for your team's captain, Mrs. Doubtfire, he just wants to make sure that -- if the Euros are fortunate enough to win -- that he doesn't have to answer the question of whether they would have won if Tiger had played for the USA.

Well, it'll be interesting to see if Pavin has the 'fortitude' to leave him out.Personally think the States have a chance if he doesn't go, and if he does I think they'll lose comfortably.He'll be too much of a side show given all that's gone on, and if he performs badly, it's demoralising for the entire team.Some people say Pavin will be criticised if he brings him, or leaves him at home, but I don't see the big deal.He wasn't there in 08 and the U.S. got along fine without him.In Ryder cup terms, Tiger is overated.
A great shot is when you go for it and pull it off. A smart shot is when you don't have the guts to try it. ~ Phil Mickelson.

Well, it'll be interesting to see if Pavin has the 'fortitude' to leave him out.

I don't agree. The pressure is off Pavin.

Tiger's performance at the Bridgestone solved his problem. Noone would say that Tiger "deserves" to be a captain's pick right now. The situation is a simple one. Either Tiger plays his way into the team, without having to be picked, or he doesn't get picked. The only thing taht would get him picked would be a couple of very strong finishes before the taem is named which almost get him over the line. Tiger did Pavin a huge favour at Firestone.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

I don't agree. The pressure is off Pavin.

I agree with you, he doesn't deserve to be a pick.But if the States go on to loose badly at Celtic Manor, you know there's going to be a few voices saying things might have been different if Tiger had been there, regardless of how badly he's playing at the moment.That's just how people are.I'm sure Pavin knows that, but personally I don't think a guy like him would let that affect his decision.

If Tiger plays decent or well this week people might second guess Pavin if he doesn't pick him. If Tiger has a repeat of last week there will be no one second guessing him. If I heard correctly this is Tigers last scheduled tournament before the RC.

Joe Paradiso

The best thing Corey Pavin could do right now is have a chat with Tiger and tell him that he isn't playing up to Ryder Cup standards and that he (Pavin) can't honestly give him (Woods) a spot on this year's team. The best thing Tiger Woods would be to say, You're absolutely right.

I agree completely. A repeat of the Bridgestone is the last thing anybody needs - Tiger, the US team, even Golf, itself - lol. If he doesn't play well this week, Tiger should decline to play in the Ryder Cup and head for some private island with an Army of swing coaches to prepare for next year.

Note: This thread is 4999 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!