IGNORED

Tiger & The Ryder Cup

BallStriker
Note: This thread is 4999 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator
He has stated the fact many times.

No he hasn't. Go ahead and find one such instance. He might feel that way but he almost always says something about what an honor it is to play for your country, blah blah blah.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

No he hasn't. Go ahead and find one such instance. He might feel that way but he almost always says something about what an honor it is to play for your country, blah blah blah.

Do your own research. He has always said that team play wasnt his thing. and that the Ryder Cup wouldnt define his career.

Pull your head outta his ass and wash that nasty brown ring off your neck.

That's the truth though. The Ryder Cup isn't going to define his career and team play isn't his thing. That doesn't mean he doesn't care for it, it's possible he actually enjoys playing for his country. Also, the statement he made "I'll play if I qualify" I didn't read that as he wouldn't play as a captain pick, I read it as he will play assuming he is physically able, as long as he qualifies.

In the carry bag:
'07 Burner 10.5 Driver (S Flex)
Hyper X 5 Wood
J33CB 4-PW Irons (S Flex)
Vokey 54-10 Spin Milled Watson 08 60 Lob Wedge G5i Blade

Well said Jesh. Let's not overinterpret a few rather ambiguous words of Tiger's and let's just see what happens.

Personally I would be very surprised if he turns down an opportunity to play in the Ryder Cup ....... even if it's not the height of his ambition to do well at that event. We all know that TW respects the history and traditions of the great game of golf, of which that event is an important part.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

• Administrator
Do your own research. He has always said that team play wasnt his thing. and that the Ryder Cup wouldnt define his career.

Your completely inappropriate response aside, those are not the same things as Tiger saying he doesn't care,

which he's never done so far as I remember. You made a false statement and I asked you to back it up. Now you're shifting the goalposts.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I would go one step further and say that for someone to suggest that TW doesn't care about the RC is to seriously misunderstand the man's attitude towards the game of golf, and to interpret his past statements. I may differ with some in my position about his private life ( ) but that's completely irrelevant to the present discussion, at least as it pertains to TW as a golfer and his attitude towards the history of the game and his role in it.

Tiger Woods has already earned an exalted place in the golfing pantheon and this is something he cares a lot about - which is why I have consistently argued that he press on with professional golf (i.e. play as much as possible and da** the torpedoes) regardless of distractions, and let his lawyers/advisors spend their time and energy on the other stuff. Easy for me to say I know but that would be my advice to the guy. Perhaps it is unfair and asking too much - perhaps it is selfish of people like me to expect it of him.

I agree with Erik: that post was a completely inappropriate response in context - why not add something meaningful to the discussion instead? Distinctions have to be made.

4-hybrid:

Rider Cup? Rider Cup? we talking bout Rider Cup? TW just win already.... I starting watching golf last year(religiously) so I missed out on all of TW great performances. Now Im a huge TW fan and I havent seen him win a Major yet... Dang it!! I'm pissed off.... Is Ricky Fowler the guy im going to watch now? He looks like ihe belongs in my daughters Disney movies.

MB 710 Iron Set 5-PW Blades Steel Shafts,
Vokey Design Spin Milled Wedges 52,56,60
hybore 2iH, 3iH, 5W, Driver XL, Putter
Balls "Pro V1's", " Callaway Warbirds"
Career Low Round: 79

Rider Cup? Rider Cup? we talking bout Rider Cup? TW just win already.... I starting watching golf last year(religiously) so I missed out on all of TW great performances. Now Im a huge TW fan and I havent seen him win a Major yet... Dang it!! I'm pissed off.... Is Ricky Fowler the guy im going to watch now? He looks like ihe belongs in my daughters Disney movies.

Actually no, we're talking about The Ryder Cup.

The Rider Cup is green.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Actually no, we're talking about The Ryder Cup.

Oh!!! nevermind then, heck yeah TW needs to play in Ryder Cup!!!

MB 710 Iron Set 5-PW Blades Steel Shafts,
Vokey Design Spin Milled Wedges 52,56,60
hybore 2iH, 3iH, 5W, Driver XL, Putter
Balls "Pro V1's", " Callaway Warbirds"
Career Low Round: 79

Well, it isn't just him. I tend to agree with 'Striker that, for TW not to play in the Ryder Cup by his own decision (assuming it's not medical-related), would be a very big mistake when it comes to his public image.

I would recommend that anybody who believes playing would repair his public image create a poll asking the question. Break the answers into four groups:

1) I thought negatively of him before and will think positively of him if he plays. 2) I thought positively or neutral before and will think positively of him if he plays. 3) I thought negatively of him before and the Ryder Cup will have no impact. 4) I thought positively or neutral before and the Ryder Cup will have no impact. Let's see how it turns out. I'm guessing #1 will come in last place, unless I've already psyched people out from voting otherwise by speculating upon it. Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

It's just you. I don't think the Ryder Cup has any role at all in "repairing his public image."

It sounds like if Tiger went out of his way to show that he cared about the game for the games sake (which is how I feel about the Ryder) and not just breaking records then he would try his damndest to get on the team and in turn would "repair his public image" (at least slightly) with the original poster.

"My greatest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my golf clubs for what I told her I paid for them."
What's in my SQ Tour Carry bag?:
Driver: R7 Quad 9.5*
3, 5 Wood: G5 clones
Irons: : AP1 (4-PW) Wedges: 52*, 56*, 62* Spin Milled Putter: White Hot 2 Ball BladeBalls: Shoes: My...

It sounds like if Tiger went out of his way to show that he cared about the game for the games sake (which is how I feel about the Ryder) and not just breaking records then he would try his damndest to get on the team and in turn would "repair his public image" (at least slightly) with the original poster.

I don't think the public cares about whether or not he plays in the Ryder Cup. My dad dislikes TW for what he's done in his personal life after acting "morally superior" all the years before he got caught. Dad doesn't know what the Ryder Cup is, and could care less if TW played in it or not.

Most fans of golf either like TW because they think he's a great golfer and don't care what he did in his personal life, or don't like him. I don't see him gaining any additional fans here either because he's one of those guys you either like or don't and most golf fans don't care that much about the Ryder Cup to have his participation influence their opinion of him.

Joe Paradiso

Brandon,

Bit of a bogus poll if I may say .... .... because it's too black-and-white (or bipolar if you like ). I certainly wasn't referring to anything being "repaired", as in fixed or absolution granted ....

Now I think I'd vote for 1) if you had put it thusly:

" I thought negatively about him in certain respects before, and I will think somewhat more positively about him (in certain other respects) if he plays in the RC (win or lose)."

A better series of questions IMO, i.e. more illuminating, would ask how people would feel about him if he chooses not to play in the Rider ..... I mean Ryder ... Cup ( mutas mutandis of course).

Cheers, Chas.

4-hybrid:

I think Tiger ought to play in the Ryder Cup and even if he does not automatically qualify he will be a Captain's Pick. He will get a sympathetic ear over in europe hopefully- i think he ought to play but who should he play with?-I would suggest Jim Furyk in the foursomes and maybe Ricky Barnes in the fourball, if he qualifies- but definitely not Phil though as they don't work too well together. Perhaps he should be picked with Ricky Fowler (again if he qualifies) as a bit of fun.

I dont think it matters to Tiger if he plays or not, he has shown over the years he is not a "team player" and is in the sport to take not give. On the other hand if he does play it guarantees the europeans points

Speedline 10 with Harrison Saga
X Tour fairways 3 & 5 Fujikura tour platform 26.3
X Forged 3-PW Project X 6.0 rifles
X Forged 56-14 and 60-10 wedges
2 ball blade Tour is balls

I am not a huge fan of Tiger to be 100% honest. I like Anthony Kim; he's one of my favorite golfers. Hense the fact he's good, and he's very humble unlike Tiger. Woods is very over confident and he gets way too cocky sometimes.

I am not a huge fan of Tiger to be 100% honest. I like Anthony Kim; he's one of my favorite golfers. Hense the fact he's good, and he's very humble unlike Tiger. Woods is very over confident and he gets way too cocky sometimes.

You should like AK even more - he's counting on you!

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Note: This thread is 4999 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!