IGNORED

Mizuno vs. Titleist Irons

Note: This thread is 4131 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just looking for a little bit of feedback before I make my next big iron purchase. I was going to buy the Callaway Prototype irons but they decided to discontinue the irons before I could get a set. Being a lefty didn't help me out much either.

I've narrowed it down between the Titleist AP2, Titleist CB, or one of the Mizuno MP iron sets. I will be getting them custom fitted so either way I go it will be a big upgrade from the 15 year old set of Hogan forged irons that I am currently playing.

It seems like the AP2s are a highly regarded set and have great reviews all around. I'd like to hear from any of you that have played any of the iron sets that I have mentioned. And I am especially interested in the difference of the Mizuno MP iron sets.

Appreciate any feedback you can give.
In the Bag:

Driver: FT 9 Tour 10*
3-Wood: Big Bertha Diablo 15*
Irons: MP-68 3-PW Project X 6.5Wedges: JAWS 52*, 56*, 60*Putter: White Ice #9Ball: ProV1x

If you want blades go mizuno, if not titleist.

OHIO

In my Revolver Bag
R9 460, RIP
R9 TP 3 Wood, Diamana 'ilima 70*Idea Pro Black 20*Titleist AP1 712 4-AW Spin Milled Black Nickel 56.08 & 60.10

It's Mizuno, hands down IMO. Go to your nearest clubfitter that is outfitted with the Mizuno fitting system and pick out the head style and shaft combination that will fit your game. I am fairly sure you can even go with a combo set of different MP styles if that is what you like.

I recently changed my irons from Nike Pro Combos (an underrated set) to MP-32s....and the experience has been unbelievable. Incredible feel. I will never own a non Mizuno iron set again, unless I happen across some once in a lifetime deal from another company. Even then I would think about it long and hard and keep my old set as a back up. Just in case.

BTW, if I haven't mentioned yet...I like Mizuno.

I don't know, I got a deal from a very rich guy who owned 5 sets and gave me a deal for one in mint condition. Good for me, right?

I know the MP 52, 57, 58, 68 irons are all excellent. I would get the 68 blades if I was choosing today, but you should obviously get what is right for your game.

I don't know, I got a deal from a very rich guy who owned 5 sets and gave me a deal for one in mint condition. Good for me, right?

I know the MP 52, 57, 58, 68 irons are all excellent. I would get the 68 blades if I was choosing today, but you should obviously get what is right for your game.

I too played hogans, pc and ftx. Bought some new irons this year and demoed a bunch, Mizunos were the best. Their fitting was by far the most comprehensive. I hit the 58's, 62's and 68's, they all look the same at address. loved them all but I really enjoyed the 68s the best. Mishits were fairly similar for all of them, the 58s are a little bit more forgiving but not much more. The beauty of their fitting was their shaft optimizer set up, I could hit the same iron with three equivalent shafts and the results were astounding, one shaft was clearly better for me than all the others. As a result I have never hit my irons so true! I have also loved the look of a traditional blade, call it vain or whatever, but it gives me confidence. The other great thing about Mizuno is that their clubs have the same lofts as Hogans, they haven't chased the long six iron by making it a five iron, so the change was seamless.

The titleist just didn't do it for me, I hit them fine but the look of them after swinging hogans was just not right same goes for callaway. Really, at least for me, at this level you can hit any of these clubs well and they all perform equally well.

I have been a Hogan guy for 25 years, now I'm all about mizuno. Don't overlook their mp flihi irons and hybrids, I have the 4 flihi and the 3 and 2 hybrids....great clubs. And also got their new wedges, which to me were the only ones that even remotely compared to the feel of the hogan wedges which I had a hard time putting away.

The only Mizuno club I didn't like was the driver, for some reason it didn't mesh.

Mizuno irons are the best. I have tried both Titleist and Mizuno irons and Mizuno are just better. I am playing the MX-20 irons and they are very forgiving. I just bought a set of MP-58 and they are very sweet to hit.

In order of ascending forgiveness between Titleist and Mizuno, I would say it is MP 68, MB, MP 62, CB, MP 58, MP 52, AP2, AP1. Though the MP 68 and the MB are both musclebacks, so they are really the same. You could also make a case for the MP 52 being more forgiving than the AP2, they are pretty close. You can also find a lot of older Mizunos. The MP 57 would be the same as the CB.

As for preference, I put Mizuno #1, Titleist #2. All the other OEMs are far behind.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Don't forget the MP60s. While they are now a few years old, they are a classic. With some patience, you can still find new or nearly new sets on the Bay. Mine are fitted with Nippon shafts, which is a really nice combination. I also have two Mizuno hybrids, very underrated clubs.

Driver & FW: Ping G10 12* Driver & 17* 4W w UST Proforce V2 HL Reg
Hybrids: Adams A7 19* & 22* w UST Mamiya ProForce AXIVCore Reg
Irons: MP-60 5 - 9 w Nippon Shaft 950GH Reg
Wedges: Eidolon 48* 52* 56* 60* w SCoR Graphite Reg
Putter: Scotty Cameron Red X3

that's like comparing apples to apples.

driver: FT-i tlcg 9.5˚ (Matrix Ozik XCONN Stiff)
4 wood: G10 (ProLaunch Red FW stiff)
3 -PW: :Titleist: 695 mb (Rifle flighted 6.0)
wedges:, 52˚, 56˚, 60˚
putter: Studio Select Newport 1.5

Just looking for a little bit of feedback before I make my next big iron purchase. I was going to buy the Callaway Prototype irons but they decided to discontinue the irons before I could get a set. Being a lefty didn't help me out much either.

Both are excellent products. Of the 2 I perfer Mizuno b/c of the feel and as much as I don't like saying this, Mizuno has TERRIBLED customer service from my experience. With that said, I'd suggest hitting both clubs with the same type of shaft and see which one feels best to you, seems the most controlable to you and s/u best to your eye. Do this on the range and NOT the launch monitor or into a net.

Does mizuno even make the mp-32's anymore? Why are they better than the current line that mizuno is offering?

I don't believe they are making the 32's anymore. I won't say they are better than the current line, but b/c of a lot of the wt being on the sole it makes for a easier hitting club and gets the ball up quicker. which interestly enough is what they did with the 68's, which is why so many are saying, "for a blade these are pretty forgiving", please note though that I doubt they would be more forgiving than a MP 60 or any cavity back for that matter.

Thank you to everyone that provided me with some feedback on this thread! This is just the kind of information that I was looking for.
In the Bag:

Driver: FT 9 Tour 10*
3-Wood: Big Bertha Diablo 15*
Irons: MP-68 3-PW Project X 6.5Wedges: JAWS 52*, 56*, 60*Putter: White Ice #9Ball: ProV1x

played both companies
Titleist over Mizzy ALL DAY LONG

I too drank the Mizuno kool-aid...meh, its whatever
Had MP 57's and hated them - offset city and hooks all day long
they felt nice, but didt blow me away
combo'd them w some MP 32's in the 8-PW...again meh...nothing too impressive

been through a few sets since now on to the irons of the week - older Titleist 735.CM's
another combo set (similar to my Nike Pro Forged Combo's) - really loving these irons
the forgivness of the 4-5 full cavaties, the workabaility of the 6-7 muscle backs and pin seeking accuracy w the blades from 8-PW
best of all worlds IMO

in the next couple years, I plan to do something similar w the 710 series - 4-6CB, 7-PW MB
ill wait till the price somes way down though

Titliest also offers the ZB Forged series, which are a newer version of the 735's i have now
these are also nice and can still be foubnd new for a good price

there is a reason they are the #1 irons on tour played

now i really like Mizuno offerings in their woods - drivers, fwy metals etc....
i think they are highly underrated in that aspect
"My swing is homemade - but I have perfect flaws!" - Me

• 3 months later...
Thank you to everyone that provided me with some feedback on this thread! This is just the kind of information that I was looking for.

Now go try them out and let us know what you choose. For me I'd personally would go with the 3-5 710CB and 6-PW 710MB. The AP2's would come in a close second but the MB's and CB's just look so nice!

« Keith »

I'm a die hard Mizuno man, so obviously I'm biased. When you look at what most of the pro's are now playing I think you are crazy if you don't play a CB iron. Even people like Adam Scott who always played blades and is a superb ball striker (he can putt for &^*! though) has switched to AP2's. So really I think you should be comparing the AP2's vs MP-53. If I had to make a choice I hate to say it but I would get the 63's (they are just so pretty)

Even people like Adam Scott who always played blades and is a superb ball striker (he can putt for &^*! though) has switched to AP2's.

Not right. He played them for a while. He currently plays MBs.

And...he can't putt.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Note: This thread is 4131 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!