IGNORED

Ohio State vs. Michigan

Brendon
Note: This thread is 4892 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Ohio State vs. Michigan

• Ohio State
    • Michigan

Age in a rivalry doesn't mean much when you are talking about 2 historically irrelevant programs.

Oh, historic relevancy only matters to the person deeming such a history relevant. ;) IMHO, the length of a rivalry only fuels the animosity and the strength of the rivalry.

What's in my Tartan Precise TS-869 Bag:
Woods: Northwestern 1W, 3W, stock grip
Hybrids: 855 Graphite shaft 3H, 4H, Golf Pride Tour Wrap midsize grips
Irons: 855 R flex steel shaft 5-PW, Golf Pride Tour Wrap midsize grips
Wedges: PureSpin Tour Series Diamond Face 52* AW, 56* SW, 60* LW, Golf Pride...

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OH-IO! Go Bucks!!!

If you go to a M vs OSU football game, you will know it's the best rivalry in sports. It's awesome. And you can't dismiss the best marching band doing their famous Script Ohio.

I loved my 4 years in Columbus.

Go Buckeyes!!!

In my bag:

One for slicing
One for hooking
One for knocking it in the cup

Oh, historic relevancy only matters to the person deeming such a history relevant. ;) IMHO, the length of a rivalry only fuels the animosity and the strength of the rivalry.

Exactly. Like I said, the oldest rivalry in college sports is Lehigh v Lafayette. But they are both small schools in D1AA (for football at least), so they don't get much notoriety. People who didn't go to Michigan or OSU don't really care. But if you did go to those school, by all means.

And as a side note, why do people who just live in Michigan or OSU like those teams? Isn't that more of a pro sports thing? I think Red Sox v Yankess is bigger because they are (arguably) the two most liked and more hated baseball teams in the world. As much as local television like to push them down my throat, I don't like BC or BU or Northeastern sports any more than I like NYU, or UNH, or URI, or whomever. Hell, I like FSU over BC (another good rivalry) because my grandfather went to FSU on a football scholarship.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm all for a Clean, Old-Fashioned Hate myself. Perhaps the best name for a college rivalry around.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Age in a rivalry doesn't mean much when you are talking about 2 historically irrelevant programs.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying the Gopher/Badger rivalry is on the same level as the Mich/OSU rivalry.

I simply noted the age. And yes, I think that matters in a true, big time, rivalry.

TM R11/Titleist 910F 15*/ Nike SQ2 20* & 23*/ Nike CCi 5-PW/ Nike SV 52* & 56*/ SC Newport 2 Studio Style 32.5"
Nike 20XIx/Pro V1x

Forget them both. Badgers!

+1 The Badgers----If forced to choose which ever team's sideline gets more excited during the Playing of "Jump Around" at Camp Randall.

Last time Minnestoa plated at the Camp the Refs had to come over and calm the down. It was GREAT.

9* Geek No Brainer with red Stiff Gallofory shaft
15* R5 3 wood with Burner shaft
21* 24* Nike CPR hybrid Aldila by you shaft
5-pw Titleist 680 cb irons-SK Fiber graphite shafts
52*, 56*,60* Reid Lockhart Dual Bounce spinner shaftScotty Cameron Newport MidSlant with Tiger Shark GripTM LDP Red balls---used because I'm...

+1 The Badgers----If forced to choose which ever team's sideline gets more excited during the Playing of "Jump Around" at Camp Randall.

As a Minnesota guy I could blast you for the incorrect choice of words in your post, and then make the correlation that ALL Wisconsin fans/people are idiots.

But, I won't........

TM R11/Titleist 910F 15*/ Nike SQ2 20* & 23*/ Nike CCi 5-PW/ Nike SV 52* & 56*/ SC Newport 2 Studio Style 32.5"
Nike 20XIx/Pro V1x

Exactly. Like I said, the oldest rivalry in college sports is Lehigh v Lafayette. But they are both small schools in D1AA (for football at least), so they don't get much notoriety. People who didn't go to Michigan or OSU don't really care. But if you did go to those school, by all means.

I'll probably catch hell for this but I am a Notre Dame fan. Always have been and I have lived in Michigan all my life.

Everybody knows the best college football rivalry of all time was Nebraska-Oklahoma but with the Huskers going to the Big Ten I predict a Nebraska-Iowa rivalry will be at least as good if not better than Michigan-Ohio State. But since you asked about the Michigan-Ohio State contest I have to go with Michigan.

Nebraska-OU was nice for a few years when both were good in the old Big 8. Before that, it didn't mean much. Once the Big 12 was formed it slowly went away since they didn't even play each other each year.

I loved it when Nebraska was added to the Big Ten. I am already looking forward to the Nebraska-Iowa games, which in time should turn into a great rivalry. It will never be at the level of Michigan-OSU though.
For the best rivalry in sports I vote for Duke Basketball by a landslide over UNC-CH. GTHC GTH

Duke-UNC is always fun to watch. Problem is, many times the games don't mean anything. They play twice in the regular season, of which the second one sometimes doesn't even matter, then maybe the ACC, then maybe the NCAA. The one really good feeling game is the first regualr season game.

Come on, Red Sox v Yankees is clearly the best rivalry in sports.

Yankees-Red Sox both have great, passionate fan bases. Most of the games are pretty intense and fun to watch. Problem is, at least for me, is that very few of them mean anything. What happens when they play on a Saturday afternoon in May? One wins, one loses. Then they play again the next day. Then they switch cities and play in a couple of weeks. Sure over time, those games might decide a division, but individually, they don't mean much. You can miss a game here or there and not have to worry, because you know they play the next day. No Michigan or Ohio St. fan will miss that game if they can help it. It happens once a year, you better find a spot to watch.

The length of a rivalry does matter, but just becuase two teams have played the longest or the most times, it doesn't mean it is a great rivalry. No one cares about Lehigh and Lafayette.
It's kind of neat to have, arguably, the best rivalry in sports come from Big Ten college football.

Again, it doesn't matter who has played the longest. The Big Ten has a bunch of old rivalrys and trophy games (started by Michigan and Minnesota), but for the most part, with the exception of the game week, no one cares outside of the individual fan bases. Me and my Michigan buddies don't have a discussion in June about who will win The Little Brown Jug. We don't care except in the game week.

Any rivalry discussion that does not mention the Iron Bowl is automatically invalidated IMO. By default, I have to choose OSU if only because Rich Rod seems to be just a tad bit sleazier.

The Iron Bowl is nice, and a great rivalry. But does anyone outside of the state of Alabama care when one or both teams are 6-5 and the game means nothing? There is a reason why Michigan-Ohio St. is on national network TV every year, and has been as long as I can remember, there is so much interest across the country for that one game. Even from those that aren't fans of either team.

The thing that makes Michigan-Ohio St. so great is the fact that virtually EVERY year, that one game has decided so much. Either a Big Ten title and the Rose Bowl, or a national title has been decided by that one game more times than it hasn't. I forget the actual number, but there was a recent stretch when something like in 25 of 30 games, one team or the other, or both, had a chance to win the Big Ten and/or play for a national championship. That is what makes a rivalry great. When two teams that can't stand each other play for 60 minutes, and that one game means so much. That comes from having years and years of great teams on both sides. Over time it just builds.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

For me the best rivalry in college sports in Minnesota - Wisconsin. How many other schools keep a running tally of every sport in which they compete against each other and at the end of the year tally up the points and award a trophey to whichever school has the most points?
There arent many schools who have such an angry, heated, bitter rivarly against each other than they will use anything for bragging rights.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

I don't even have to say who I pick. I do have to agree with floger though about Tressel. Lets hope he does not play Tressel ball this season and opens up his playbook a little and stop being so conservative. He is so predictable and everyone knows that.

In My Bag:

Driver:
Hybrid:
Irons: Putter:

Even ESPN calls it the greatest rivalry in sports. Michigan!? OSU has beat them quite a bit and Michigan's a really weak team now.

AmErican SPorts Network?

University A versus University B will never trump national team rivalries like they have soccer, rugby, hockey, etc.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

As a Minnesota guy I could blast you for the incorrect choice of words in your post, and then make the correlation that ALL Wisconsin fans/people are idiots.

You are going to flame me cause I type with a lisp (plated vs played??). I'd say Soda fans need to take a chill pill.

But a shall refrain. BTW the game events I described was wholehearted compliment to the Gopher team. The scene was golden and should be used as a Big Ten highlight film. The sight of referees telling linemen to stop jumping up and down while a whole stadium of their peers was doing the dirty deed was surreal and perhaps laughable. These were young adults being young adults with unadulterated enthusiasm. Even though we have a extended rivalry I have respect for the Gopher players and their fans. Hockey, football, etc I've gotten along with Gopher fans. Good rivalry but both sides tend to keep it real . Some schools carry an air of self esteem that is bordering on self anointed grandeur. U of Minn is not one of those schools. We played UCLA for a home game in the 1980's. That was one of those schools. Where is the AXE?????

9* Geek No Brainer with red Stiff Gallofory shaft
15* R5 3 wood with Burner shaft
21* 24* Nike CPR hybrid Aldila by you shaft
5-pw Titleist 680 cb irons-SK Fiber graphite shafts
52*, 56*,60* Reid Lockhart Dual Bounce spinner shaftScotty Cameron Newport MidSlant with Tiger Shark GripTM LDP Red balls---used because I'm...

You are going to flame me cause I type with a lisp (plated vs played??). I'd say Soda fans need to take a chill pill.

It's all good bud. You said some nice things about the U of M students/fans and I will second that by echoing that about Wisconsin students/fans.

As you know, football and hockey are huge up here and our two schools/states go full bore against each other in both sports. It's always fun to watch, that's for sure. And don't get me started on Gopher football. Even during the Monson years when we had Barber/Maroney and we were actually a relevent footabll team we would still find ways to piss big games down our leg. Like the Badger games, for instance. Or Ohio State games.

Nike 20XIx/Pro V1x

Wow, I think thats the nicest thing Ive ever seen someone from Wisconsin write about the rodents and their fans. You're a lot nicer than I would have been.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

I'm about to puke at all this rodent sappiness. :P

What's in my Tartan Precise TS-869 Bag:
Woods: Northwestern 1W, 3W, stock grip
Hybrids: 855 Graphite shaft 3H, 4H, Golf Pride Tour Wrap midsize grips
Irons: 855 R flex steel shaft 5-PW, Golf Pride Tour Wrap midsize grips
Wedges: PureSpin Tour Series Diamond Face 52* AW, 56* SW, 60* LW, Golf Pride...

Wow, I think thats the nicest thing Ive ever seen someone from Wisconsin write about the rodents and their fans. You're a lot nicer than I would have been.

Hey, don't let anything stop you.

Bring it on, Badger boy.

Nike 20XIx/Pro V1x

Note: This thread is 4892 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!