IGNORED

The High Draw with a Driver

Note: This thread is 4986 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What if no matter what you do you hit the ball straight out that then just cuts of way right? by way right i am saying probably 30-40 yards right.

Also what distance left or right would you consider a fade before it becomes a slice, or a draw becomes a hook?

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

What if no matter what you do you hit the ball straight out that then just cuts of way right? by way right i am saying probably 30-40 yards right.

Just as an arbitrary number, anything > 5-7% left/right of the carry distance would be hook/slice.

That's just going to hit it lower. High draws are push draws. Not pull draws.

The only things I would add to this are to make sure your swing plane is not too vertical and your takeaway is low with a larger arc. Almost impossible to hit the high draw with a vertical swing plane and an abrupt takeaway.

Hit your normal draw. Tee up the ball a little Higher and drop back your back foot a few inches (like you are widening your stance, only with your back foot)...

G10 (VS Proto 65 X) or 905S (speeder X) / X Tour 3W (VS Proto S) / Adams Idea Tour Proto 18* (VS Proto S) / S59 Tour, Z-Z65 Cushin (D2) / Mizuno MP-T 51-06 , 56-10, / Miz TP Mills #6 ~or~ Cleveland BRZ #5

A hook or slice is when it bends way past a subtle curve. It can be a recovery shot or strategy, but typically it bends way beyond whatever amount of bend you played for and leaves you in trouble.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Also what distance left or right would you consider a fade before it becomes a slice, or a draw becomes a hook?

I would draw the line at two places. I would say a draw or fade is a) controllable, and b) in the fairway. I would say a hook or slice is neither. But that's just me.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hit your normal draw. Tee up the ball a little Higher and drop back your back foot a few inches (like you are widening your stance, only with your back foot)...

Widening my stance does the opposite.

I tend to narrow mine slightly, it makes me swing around my body a bit more.

The only things I would add to this are to make sure your swing plane is not too vertical and your takeaway is low with a larger arc. Almost impossible to hit the high draw with a vertical swing plane and an abrupt takeaway.

I most definetely agree. I would also add that it is all about the plane. You want to hit it high, make sure you also have wide arc and hit the ball on the up swing.

Yeah ball position helps but let say if I tee it high and I swing down with a more upright plane on both back and downswing, the ball will not go as high as if I swing up with a flatter and wider arc. Trust me on this. I know how to do both.Basically if I have a more sit down move with my hip,the plane is steeper,and the trajectory will be lower. If I have more of a jumping up motion with the lower torso, the plane is flatter,and the driver is ascending and the ball goes higher.

Note: This thread is 4986 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!