Note: This thread is 4011 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm thinking I would like to have my 52 strengthened to 50 as this would give me a better spread distance/degree-wise. Are there drawbacks to having a wedge bent that much? Is it even possible?

So if the wedge currently has 8* bounce, that would give me 6* ... what is "standard" for a 50* wedge?

8* would be "standard", but if you don't use it for shots around the green (by that I mean you use it only for full shots) I doubt you will see a difference.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

What type of fairways do your normally play. The fairways in the Central Wisconsin area, Lake Arrowhead, Trappers Turn, Wild Rock, University Ridges, The Oaks, Sentry World , Lawsonia etc tend to be on the firm side. I get along with a 6* bounce on my 52* wedge fine. I've actually played this club at 50* with a 4* bounce and it worked.

If the fairways are more like The Bull or other moist clay based ground where it is easy to take a beaver pelt divot then a higher bounce of 8*/10* would be better.

What type of fairways do your normally play. The fairways in the Central Wisconsin area, Lake Arrowhead, Trappers Turn, Wild Rock, University Ridges, The Oaks, Sentry World , Lawsonia etc tend to be on the firm side. I get along with a 6* bounce on my 52* wedge fine. I've actually played this club at 50* with a 4* bounce and it worked.

Normally the fairways around here are pretty firm ... altho with all the rain this summer everything is a bit on the mushy side.

It's not a real expensive wedge so I think I'm going to try to have it done and see what happens.

Yeah - the way they build PW's these days - mine is so strong (44*) it leaves quite a gap between the PW & the GW.

If your PW is 44*, the bend would leave you with 50* and 56* ... 6-degree gaps between most wedges. Just test out the "set" after bending to see what yardage distances are on partials.

If you do get your GW bent, clubsmiths advise you to check it out at the end of each season: The metal sometimes creeps back to 52* over time.

BTW, 44* was the loft of my 9I in my old set of irons.
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm thinking I would like to have my 52 strengthened to 50 as this would give me a better spread distance/degree-wise. Are there drawbacks to having a wedge bent that much? Is it even possible?

My MP-11s have lofts bent from 40, 44, 48 (8 iron to PW) to 40, 45, and 50. I didn't like the added bounce on the PW, so I had my favourite GW, which was obsoleted by the 50 degree PW, bent from 52* to 50.5. I wanted a specifically 120 +/- 5 yard wedge. It's pure gold - I love it.

Note: This thread is 4011 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!