IGNORED

Best Blade/Tour Irons...Ever?

Cali
Note: This thread is 3289 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

These, mainly because they're mine. Golden Ram Tour Grind Axial, Frequency Matched, Precision FM 6.5 shafts at +3/4".  [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/68263/] [/URL] Tried and liked lots of different things, mostly blades or similar. These just fit me nicely.

very nice was looking out for a set of the full blades quite hard to find ram were not that popular in the England and Ireland

Hi there just got a set of Hogan Apex II on the internet for 50 pounds, really good condition for clubs that came out in 79 no wear spots atall and chrome looks good. Fitted with AMF Apex Pro shafts 4, cant wait to try them out have new set of grips ordered for them. Also have a set of Slazenger SB-02 these are almost new really beautiful set but shafts are very soft R300s Have a set of S300 to put into them when i get a chance. Also have a bit of a  Mizuno collection TP 19 and Z's (half a blade) but my favorite set are the Hogan Apex[URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/88221/] [/URL]  99s look good and much easier to hit that TP19s.

got the grips of and found this

So far in my collection of Ben Hogan irons I have; 1968 - Plus One 1975 - Producer 1979 - Apex II 1999 - Apex Plus 1999 - Apex Pro 2005 - Edge CFT

which set do u use if u wanted to win, i bought the edge cft 3 iron with steel shaft, what a brilliant club ball really explodes of the face

John Letters Master Model, double flange.  Wonderful irons, which Gary Player and Lee Tervino played.. But best of all (and I have had almost every blade iron made) is the 1999 Ben Hogan Apex.  They have a good degree of "bounce" in the sole, and a lovely "buttery" feel.  The only drawback is that if you want to change the shafts, they take taper tip, but are of such soft steel, they are easily drilled out to 0.370" for parallel tip shafts-----I have done this on my set, which comprises 2-SW, plus 54degree gap wedge.

Hi which shaft did u put in? I've got apex 4s in my set and they just feel very soft, also ball flight is very high, through I'm not quite sure if its the shaft cos also had a set of ftx apex 4 a swells they gave a very low flight too low.

Hi which shaft did u put in? I've got apex 4s in my set and they just feel very soft, also ball flight is very high, through I'm not quite sure if its the shaft cos also had a set of ftx apex 4 a swells they gave a very low flight too low.

Never played them but I love the high toe(flow) weighting

• 2 weeks later...

TaylorMade Tour Preferred TD 2,3-9 Iron Set Golf Clubs @@ TAYLORMADE @@ (i678)

These are the sticks I learned to play with. As I turned into an equipment junkie and the oversized clubs became the rage, I was convinced that if you could hit these you could hit anything.

I still have these in the basement, pull them out when I'm swinging well

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

As a 5H you should already know the truth about that, but consider this as a small reminder :o)

70% in the brain

20% in the shaft

10% in the "club"

Do not focus on Whatever you call Tour or Blades.... they all are different and the same in many ways...

Do you really need to play blades ? Forged irons / cavity back.... just try as much as you can and get some

that you like and feel comfy with.

Blades "Tour" will not in any way lower your H...as much as practicing and thinking properly on the course... because this all about the score at the end...

Trust your club, trust yourself, but never rely on new equipments improvements....at the end there are only very few each year, and marketing announcements are always way more impressive than scientific researches.

Enjoy.

Alexandre

From my personal experience... Been playing for 4 years, I'm a 4 handicap. My first set I bought used for 75 dollars at a course near me in Ohio that has one of the best rated pro shops in the Midwest so equipment selection was great. They were Titleist DCI 990's and I absolutely loved them. Felt smooth when struck properly and could work the ball high, low, left, right. Last year I bought a set of Mizuno Mp-32 with only two rounds used on them for 200$... I really like these clubs. I've been more consistent but for some reason lost some distance. I'm ok with the loss in distance and gaining consistency and precision. I think distance was a pride thing when I first started playing, and I still get about 160 out of my 8 iron with the mp-32s... My point is that different clubs will have different advantages and disadvantages for everyone. Its nice to have this forum so you can have an info base to use when considering clubs, but i think the most important thing is to try any set out before buying, and try multiple sets. You might think you love a set until you try another set and REALLY love that one lol...

Hi As a 5H you should already know the truth about that, but consider this as a small reminder :o) 70% in the brain 20% in the shaft 10% in the "club" Do not focus on Whatever you call Tour or Blades.... they all are different and the same in many ways... Do you really need to play blades ? Forged irons / cavity back.... just try as much as you can and get some that you like and feel comfy with. Blades "Tour" will not in any way lower your H...as much as practicing and thinking properly on the course... because this all about the score at the end... Trust your club, trust yourself, but never rely on new equipments improvements....at the end there are only very few each year, and marketing announcements are always way more impressive than scientific researches. Enjoy. Alexandre

I think Alexandre just about summed it up perfectly haha.... I agree completely

• 2 months later...

Ive played for about 5 years now.  Ive always  had an affinity for forged blades.  In my opinion they look like irons are supposed to.  Ive played the before vintage Wilson Staffs and the FG 17s and just purchased a set of Hogan Apex PCs at a pawn shop for  60 bucks.  I have learned that the correct shaft makes all the difference too.  At the moment im gaming MP 37s in my bag with R300 shafts.  Im playing the best golf of my short golfing career so far.  Play what feels good to you.............my 2 cents worth

• 11 months later...
I still have them in my bag and will nly use them for a long time to come. It is April 2015 and I've had them since 2000. Although I paid full price for them back then, what a deal. They last for at least 20 years in my opinion due to the cast construction. Something that will not happen with forged clubs. Although people buy forged clubs now-a-days the 990 DCI irons sweet spot is better than my friends forged. They have shorter shafts (about 1/4 inch) for more control, and pre 2003 & 2007 (change over to stronger lofts to trick people into buying new and improved irons that go farther) weaker lofts. But cast clubs have hotter harder faces so they go just as far. The mishits are brutal feeling (just like new 2015 blades), but at least I know I miss hit it as I can not say the same for game improvement clubs. The negative shot disperion with misshits isn't that noticable. I got some Lamkin grips that no longer make my hands hurt with misshits. At the price of $70 on ebay, why do people buy the CBs? They actually have the same design. the most clasic design ever!!! I absolutely love these irons,but be warned, if you wouldn't play with blades than these might be too advanced for you. I might paint fill them with blue or neon green to make them feel like new irons. The best purchase I have made in my entire life are these irons. I see people buying new irons every year, how stupid. Pick you up some of these and at the price it will be the best buy you have ever made.

The old saying "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder". There's lots of really good blades out there, from even as far back as the 70's or even further if your so inclined. For me, it's the 1980-84 Hogan Directors. Now if you wish to play a set of these or any of those folks have referenced, take a few things into consideration. The lofts are weaker, the shafts most likely are shorter and in truth the original shafts are most likely weakened by age and the may have rusted from the inside out. So by the time you re-shaft, re-grip and perhaps re-set to modern lofts, if your so inclined, you may be almost at the same price of new clubs, unless your able to do those things for yourself.

Hate crowned cups.

Driver: Power Pod  II

Fairways: Wilson Invex 3 & 5

Irons: Cleveland VAS: 3-PW

Wedge: Alien

Chipper: Bazooka HT Max Tour

Putter: Cobra Tricep

Ball: Any 18 Pack

Bag: Black and Silver one

Cooler: Igloo Glacier Deluxe (24 can capacity)

Note: This thread is 3289 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!