IGNORED

Who here uses blades?

Note: This thread is 4873 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

with all that accuracy... yet you're still playing 13 handicap. :) your short game must be terrible...

DST Tour 9.5 Diamana Whiteboard
909F3 15* 3 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
909F3 18* 5 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
'09 X-Forged 3-PW Project-X 6.0 Flighted
CG15 56* X-Tour 60* Abaco

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO: It is 100% true (to me at least) that blades are more accurate. I can hit the same shot with blades and my balls will almost always be at the same distance but a few yards apart (left to right). This isn't true with the cavity backs I have played where the ball can sometimes come off the face in odd ways.

I'm not really an advocate in either direction, but this was by far the biggest change in my game when I went from playing some boxed set wilson's to my current irons. As an example, my 8 iron on my old set could go any number of distances between 135 and like 160, if I miss-hit a shot it would still go far, but if I flushed one it would go insanely farther than normal (which yes I know is a ballstriking issue not necessarily club related). Now if I hit an 8 iron I know it will go around 150 yards every single time (given its on a flat lie in the fairway to a non-elevated green, no wind...etc). I can pull up my phone, get a yardage to whatever target and know almost without a doubt what club I need to hit for that distance provided its like 210 and in or I just lay up chip on and putt.

I in no way am saying that blades are better than CB's, I would likely benefit from going with the Tour Preferred's rather than paying the extra 100 for my RAC TP's, but I feel they have made me realize how much work my swing needed, and have to accept the loss of distance on mis-hits as punishment for a reckless decision. In return though I've gained confidence in my game that I never had. Next time I buy irons though I'm going to keep my options open :)

:cobra: Fly-Z+ White
:callaway: XR 3 Wood
:adams: Idea Pro Black 21*
:callaway: XR 4 Hybrid
:callaway: Apex 5, Apex Pro 6,7 Apex MB 8,9,P
:tmade: 50° Gap Wedge
:callaway: Mack Daddy 2 54° 58°
:nike: Method 001 33"

I switched about 2 months ago from X-20's to MP-57. The 57's are still a muscle back of some kind but totally different club. when hit properly...i have felt nothing better. off the heel ok, little thin ok, off the toe...going nowhere.

They have improved my ball striking quite a bit and will be staying the bag for the foreseeable future!!

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

I bought a set of mp-33's to practice with, thinking that a club with more feedback would help me reinforce the feeling of good contact and improve my ball striking. They ended up making it into the bag because I just like them so much better, my r7's feel clumsy by comparison. I find that the only miss I give anything up on is catching it thick, the turf interaction isn't exactly forgiving.

with all that accuracy... yet you're still playing 13 handicap. :) your short game must be terrible...

Yeah dude, I'm a lower cap than you. (Place foot in mouth) Last time I tried to update it the site hung. Besides only little people talk shit about caps.

Titleist Bias - 907D2 9.5 V2 Stiff | 906F2 15 V2 Stiff | 710MB 3-PW DG300 | 52, 56 SM Vokes | Tom Slighter - 2007 Tacoma FPR

Yeah dude, I'm a lower cap than you. (Place foot in mouth) Last time I tried to update it the site hung. Besides only little people talk shit about caps.

Did I hurt your feelings or something? lol. I love that you gave me "negative reputation" points with "User is insulting and childish"

Listen, typically speaking...every mid-high handicapper goes on and on about how their blades made them super accurate blah blah. Your post (presuming you were a 13 handicap) reaked of the same crap every mid-high handicapper goes off about. No need to get all fussed up about it like a baby. Besides only little people get all pissy when someone takes a stab at their caps.

DST Tour 9.5 Diamana Whiteboard
909F3 15* 3 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
909F3 18* 5 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
'09 X-Forged 3-PW Project-X 6.0 Flighted
CG15 56* X-Tour 60* Abaco

played blades for a bit this year
from the 7-PW, loved em and were dead accurate (hated the shafts tho)
3-6i i lost all confidence in
i started laying up becuase of how i hit those irons....but im probably the worst 3 index ball striker you have seen (by my standards anyways)

they are nice and work for some people
i truly dont think they are for someone trying to learn this game tho
"My swing is homemade - but I have perfect flaws!" - Me

Just switched from Titlesist 695.MB to TaylorMade RAC TB MB .
TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°
TaylorMade RAC TP MB 3-PW
TaylorMade RAC TP 54°.10 / 58°.10
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

I went from Callaway X-16s to Titleist 695 MBs after trying out my cousin's set. My handicap went down 10.

My swing for whatever reason would drive the club head of the X-16s into the ground alot, probably due to the weight. My swing just favors a lighter club head.

I also have a set of Nike VR TW Blades and just picked up the Callaway TA X Prototype, but also have the Nike VR Split Cavities

If I was was on vacation, I'd definitely want a club with forgiveness. I could use the time not spent searching for balls to ponder why different ads show up on different pages, and they always seem to speak directly to me. Maybe if I had a green automobile like a Toyota Prius, I'd get more sleep at night and these things wouldn't bother me.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

My swing for whatever reason would drive the club head of the X-16s into the ground alot, probably due to the weight. My swing just favors a lighter club head.

With all due respect, this doesn't make a ton of sense. If anything, the swingweight of your 695s should be heavier than the x-16, making the Titleists feel heavier.

Either way, a 6 marker shouldn't 'drive the club into the ground' with anything in his hands.

In the Bag: TaylorMade R11 TP - TaylorMade R7 TP TS - Cleveland Halo - TM TP 2009 3-PW - Vokey SM 52 - Vokey SM 60 - Rife Barbados CS - ProV1x 

On the Computer:  Analyzr Pro 

Except they can. Most game improvement clubs will not turn as much when hit not in the center. If you hit a blade near the toe it will open the club easier than others. Also, if there is more weight away from the center of the head, misses to the outer rims will not be as bad.

too bad thats not true. off center hits with the blade will be more on line than the CBs. the CBs will go farther on an off center hit but theyll also be much farther off line.

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Either way, a 6 marker shouldn't 'drive the club into the ground' with anything in his hands.

He was a 16 before changing clubs magically turned him into a six. Try to keep up with the right bull.

I went from Callaway X-16s to Titleist 695 MBs after trying out my cousin's set. My handicap went down 10.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

too bad thats not true. off center hits with the blade will be more on line than the CBs. the CBs will go farther on an off center hit but theyll also be much farther off line.

I like blades, but that's not how it works in my experience.

He was a 16 before changing clubs magically turned him into a six. Try to keep up with the right bull.

That was my point. A "six" marker should be able to hit anything clean, x-16s, 695MBs, a full-on set of hybrid shovels...

In the Bag: TaylorMade R11 TP - TaylorMade R7 TP TS - Cleveland Halo - TM TP 2009 3-PW - Vokey SM 52 - Vokey SM 60 - Rife Barbados CS - ProV1x 

On the Computer:  Analyzr Pro 

We are in complete agreement. Also, blades rule OK!

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

With all due respect, this doesn't make a ton of sense. If anything, the swingweight of your 695s should be heavier than the x-16, making the Titleists feel heavier.

The feel is totally different, the x-16 seems to have more of the weight distributed in the head. The 695s had a way stiffer shaft, a lot heavier, so the weight was more distributed.

I haven't been playing that long almost 5 years, at the time of the switch my handicap went down to a 14. Took me two more years to get down to 6.

Sorry, my bad then. Wasn't entirely clear.

Stretch.

Note: This thread is 4873 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!