IGNORED

Who here uses blades?

Note: This thread is 4847 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

blades , only if your good enough and don't have to rely on peremeter weighting to launch the ball of the toe / heel.

always give way to the Greenskeeper!!

in my bag:
whatever clubs i find left behind on the course... But the Ping Anser will never be beaten!!

BALL: only get off tractor for PRO v1's..... Now, which way to Q School???

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

K.J. Choi must be pretty rubbish then, eh?

no he is a champion player in case you didn't know.

in my bag:
whatever clubs i find left behind on the course... But the Ping Anser will never be beaten!!

I never thought that I could hit blades but the mp33 are easy to hit, I sometime hit thin shots but the irons are so soft that my hands do not hurt or stink. Unless you try hitting blades at least once it all only cheap talk.

I recently started blading my wedges off the green with great results and many feedback that I received were, I only use my putter from off the fringe, why blade a wedge, but unless you try it and play around with this shot you will never know the benefit and the ease of executing this shot unless you don't try it at least once.

This also is for the golfers who never tried hitting a blade and say that pros use cavities why should I hit a blade and make the game more difficult. Unless you try hitting a blade for yourself you may not see the benefit of playing blades.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

[, but unless you try it and play around with this shot you will never know the benefit and the ease of executing this shot unless you don't try it at least once.

This also is for the golfers who never tried hitting a blade and say that pros use cavities why should I hit a blade and make the game more difficult. Unless you try hitting a blade for yourself you may not see the benefit of playing blades.[/QUOTE]

i agree, you must try...
one of the other main benefit of a blade is feel. 3/4 hits with higher irons make for much better length acuracy with a blade...

in my bag:

I would love to try to hit blades, just two things hold me back. Almost all the used blades come in a stiff shaft and my swing speed isn't enough to play with a stiff shaft. (Keep the jokes to minimum please) The second is after talking my wife into letting me get my Callaway x 22 tour irons 3 months ago it will be to frosty if I were to spend money on new irons. Especially since I need new woods and wedges so I'll be happy with my irons and live with the accuracy issue.

Though I am a bit envious of those of you who can play blades. Good luck to you all no matter what you play.

they are cavity backs. forged/cast has nothnign to do with whether its a blade or a cavity back. The Ping S59's are cavity backs because they have a cavity on the back of the club. A blade would be like a Mizuno MP-33 which has no cavity at all. golfro

Show me the cavity... I don't think that little 1/16" dip counts. There is a cavity that's filled up by the black plastic but usually cavity backs don't have the cavity filled up, right? This looks more like a muscle back iron. And I know you can have forged cavity backs and cast blades.

WBL

What's In the Bag
Callaway FTiq Tour i-mix 9.5º with stiff Mitsubishi Rayon Javlnfx 6
Cobra F-Speed LD 3-wood 15.5º with 43" YS Tour AD regCobra Baffler DWS 20º & 23º with Aldila VS Proto HL regPing S59 3-PW with Nippon PRO 950GH stiffTitleist Vokey Spin Milled 56º wedgeInazone B...

the cavity is right where it says USA and Ping

I'd say that plastic insert also qualifies as a cavity.

Yonex Ezone Type 380 | Tour Edge Exotics CB Pro | Miura 1957 Irons | Yururi Wedges | Scotty Cameron Super Rat | TaylorMade Penta

Those might not be full cavities but they are not blades either.
Driver: taylormade.gif R9 Superdeep TP 8.5* - Aldila RIP 70x | 3-Wood: taylormade.gif R9 TP 15* - Diamana Blueboard 83x | Hybrid: taylormade.gif Rescue TP 19* - Motore F3 95x | Irons: taylormade.gif RAC TP MB 3-PW - Dynamic Gold x100 | Wedges: taylormade.gif TP xFT 54.12* and 60.10* - Dynamic Gold s400 | Putter:  ping.gif Karsten Anser - 33"

Those might not be full cavities but they are not blades either.

They're Flades.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I just sold my Ping G2s and bought a set of S59 blades. I'm looking forward to playing a round with them later this week to see how they work out for me. I already like the way they look at address, and I'm thinking that alone is going to give me a psychological edge.
My Implements of Destruction (carried in a Hoofer Lite bag):

DRIVER: Big Bertha Diablo 10 degree draw, Aldila regular flex
FAIRWAY WOODS: G2 14 degree 3 wood & 17 degree 5 wood
IRONS: S59 3-PWWEDGES: M/B 54, 58, & 60 degree PUTTER: I Series Anser 4 (or G5i Anser, Anser 2F, or original...

good morning

i play blades and have done for the past 5 years i use titleist 690 mb which have been delofted 1 degree on each iron

i dont think i would change back from blades now but you do have to keep up the practice time on the range with them to get the best out them....

Hi

Well recently got rid of my X-16's and got some Callaway X-forged irons and wedges to match, having not played blades for 20 years i looked around and was surprised what was available for LH's, had a fitting at Callaway in Surrey, but bought my irons from the USA, saved £200 even after carriage and customs duty. Gotta say i am so happy with the irons, they do have some muscle on the back but they look so good and you know you are looking at a blade when the 3 iron looks the same size as the ball at address.

Regarding the Ping S59, sorry but cant really call that a true blade as it is a cast head made to look like a blade as per ping, think they are bringing out their first true "forged" irons this year which will be worth looking at :)

Speedline 10 with Harrison Saga
X Tour fairways 3 & 5 Fujikura tour platform 26.3
X Forged 3-PW Project X 6.0 rifles
X Forged 56-14 and 60-10 wedges
2 ball blade Tour is balls

Hi

forged and cast have nothing to do with blades. X-forged is also not a blade. They're both cavity backs with a thin topline/sole profile.

eitehr way, congrats on the X-forged purchase. They're absolutely great irons!

DST Tour 9.5 Diamana Whiteboard
909F3 15* 3 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
909F3 18* 5 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
'09 X-Forged 3-PW Project-X 6.0 Flighted
CG15 56* X-Tour 60* Abaco

Ok ok, just having a little pop at ping and got found out by a superior intelligence :), I know the X-forged are not "true" blades but i dont think i play enough anymore to use a true muscleback blade.

My only concern with the X-forged is my lack of confidence with the 3 and 4 irons, for the first time in my golfing life i am considering going hybrids :(

Speedline 10 with Harrison Saga
X Tour fairways 3 & 5 Fujikura tour platform 26.3
X Forged 3-PW Project X 6.0 rifles
X Forged 56-14 and 60-10 wedges
2 ball blade Tour is balls

Just practice with a 2i or even old 1i and the 3i and 4i will be as easy as your 8 iron .......

Cal Razr Hawk 10.5 | TM Superfast 3W | Adams Idea Pro Black 20 | MP-68 3-PW | TW9 50/06 + 58/12 | Ram Zebra Putter

Note: This thread is 4847 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!