IGNORED

Body rotation help?

Note: This thread is 5009 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Lately my swing has totally felt out of wack, but luckily I know why. I am having a really bad habit of starting down with my arms, instead of with my feet or hips. When I do start down with my arms, for some reason I hit shots fat and hook the ball. Unfortunately, I don't know how to stop doing this. I have done a drill I've seen in a golf digest, but this only worked for awhile.

Is there any tips you can give me on proper rotation or some drills to keep from starting down with my hands an develop a good rotation.

Thanks
What's in my Bag:
Driver-TaylorMade 09 burner 10.5* | 3 wood-TaylorMade 09 burner | 3 hybrid-TaylorMade Rescue 09 | 4-GW-Titliest AP1 710s | 54.08 wedge-Titliest Vokey spin milled | 60.04 wedge-Titliest Vokey spin milled | Putter-Odyssey white hot #7 | Ball - whatever i find

One absolutely sure way to avoid starting down with the arms is to get the hips moving before the arms reach the top of the backswing. They can't be coming down too early if they're still on the way up!

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

certainly no instructor here but I had the same problem. What worked for me is ingraining a float loading feeling at the top of the swing. Basically the feeling I wanted is for the turning of my left hip to further set my wrists at the top. I had to have softer wrists and concentrated on that feeling. Only way that I could feel that additional set at the top is to start with the legs/hips. It worked for me but you have to be careful that you don't fire the hips right away. It was a smooth turning of them back towards the target. Stretch is advocating the same thing above. Good luck to you.

In the bag:
G-15 9 degree with Proforce V2
Ping Anser V-2
MP-52 3-PW, JPX-800 Pros 3-PW
52-08, 56-11 Vokeys G-15 15.5 3W G-10 5W

1. Massage your arms and shoulders. This will loosen up your arms.
2. Stand closer to the ball
3. Shorten your back swing. The farther your arms move, the more arms get involved
4. Slide your hips forward at top of swing. This should drop your arms
5. Swing long irons as if they are PW.

My Clubs
Driver - Nike SUMO 13* R flex
Wood - Cobra 5 wood 18* R flex
3-PW hybrids/irons - Mizuno MX-950 R flex
Wedge - Mizuno MX-950 51* Wedge - Cleveland CG14 56* 14*Putter - RifeBall - Taylormade TP LDP RED

I use the split hands grip and swing a sawed off hockey stick to encourage rotation and the right side through the ball to finish.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

It's been said already, but I'll reaffirm. You really need to start your downswing with your hips before your hands even reach the top of your backswing. Then just allow your hands to follow. If you do this correctly it will cause your hands to be pulled down by the momentum of your body. Starting with your hands is causing you to come over the top but this will allow you to swing from inside - out. Sometimes it helps to pick a target a few yards to the right of your intended line and swing the club head towards that target. Good luck!

What's in my bag:
Driver: taylormade.gifBurner 09 Stiff 9.5*
Fairway Woods: adams.gifRPM Low Profile 3 & 5
Irons: mizuno.gifMP 57 - 3-PW Project X 5.5
Wedges: wilson.gifREG. 588 54* &cleveland.gif 60*Putter: ping.gifAnserBall: titleist.gifProV1x Home Course: Forest Ridge Golf Club

Note: This thread is 5009 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!