IGNORED

2010 PGA Championship

senorchipotle
Note: This thread is 4998 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Oh come on, Martin Kaymer is a

Kaymer is a great player. He just never plays in America, other than the majors and World Golf Championships. His relative absence from the American golf scene makes it hard for American fans to appreciate him.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator
IMO Kymer is a pansy

He left himself like 190 in. I think in some ways it'd be a bigger pansy shot to play two 130-yard shots than to blast out and leave yourself 190 to a hole tucked just over the front of a 10-foot-tall cliff a pace off the green surface.

In other words, he played like a man on 17 with that tee shot and putt and he still had to hit a 190-yard shot over trouble to a pin tucked just over the trouble and just past a cliff. Plenty of balls if you ask me.
I agree he should have penalized - but I also don't think the PGA did the right thing w/ that rule for the tournament. They basically said "show prints and tire tracks" are in the bunkers and they said they will not be raked each morning (the rules quote said bunkers in the ropes are raked each day). So they are saying this is an area that will have people walking through it AND vehicle traffic AND they won't be maintained each day.

So let me pose this question: why should a player who misses a fairway by 50 yards get the same lie (i.e. "raked") as one who misses by two yards? Shouldn't there perhaps be a stiffer penalty for missing by 50 yards?

And don't forget, the PGA did allow the removal of stones from bunkers this week. As it was, the lie was pretty darn good. He didn't complain about the lie. He should have not grounded his club. Nick Watney said nobody looks at the rules sheets - maybe they should. Ignorance is not an excuse. They're playing for a lot of money.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

what a total dissapointment........not the way it SHOULD hve ended....Kymer??? really....who cares.....

Seriously? Watson hitting in the water is precisely why he didn't win. Congrats to Kaymer. Whether or not one deserves has nothing to do with it.

Driver: Cobra S2 9.5 Fubuki 73 Stiff | Wood: Titleist 909H 17 Aldila Voodoo Stiff | Irons: Titleist ZB 3-5, ZM 6-PW DG S300 | Wedges: Titleist Vokey SMTC 50.08, 54.11, 60.04 DG S200 | Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5 33" | Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

Seriously? Watson hitting in the water is precisely why he didn't win. Congrats to Kaymer. Whether or not one deserves has nothing to do with it.

yes.....seriously.....

I guarantee that if he was to shoot first, he would have not chipped it out 50 yards even the announcers were like, really???? Bubba would have stepped up and played the exact same shot he did, regardless of the outcome of Kymers shot (water bomb or not) still a pansy......
"My swing is homemade - but I have perfect flaws!" - Me

what a total dissapointment........not the way it SHOULD hve ended....Kymer??? really....who cares.....

Seriously? Bubba lost because he hit a horrible, crappy shot from a much better lie than Kaymer had.

Seriously? Bubba lost because he hit a horrible, crappy shot from a much better lie than Kaymer had.

see above post....yes seriously.....

"My swing is homemade - but I have perfect flaws!" - Me

IMO Kymer is a pansy

Although his play perhaps wasn't as manly as you would have liked, it was extremely intelligent. It was effectively a match play situation and Kaymer did exactly what he should have done and was rewarded for it.

All in all, it was a very weird day on the course.

In my Ogio Grom bag:

Driver: Hi-Bore XLS Tour 9.5° / Fujikura Fit-On M Red / S
3W: G15 15.5° / Serrano 75 / S
Hybrid: G15 20° / TFC 149 H / SIrons: R7 4i-PW / T-Step 90 / SWedges: R7 AW 50° | Spin Milled Tour Chrome 54°-08, 58°-12Putter: Classic #2Ball: Gamer V2

Here are my feelings on the ruling with Dustin Johnson:

Did he violate the rules? Clearly.

Should he have been penalized? Clearly.

Should he read the rules sheet in the locker room? Yes.

Should a marshal allow spectators that close to a hazard when a shot is being hit out of it?
Absolutely not. This from a former marshal.

That is where Dustin Johnson has a small excuse. When else with those types of bunkers do you see spectators standing in the hazard as a shot is actually being executed? And don't mention the famous Ben Hogan picture. That's what I mean by "those type of bunkers." The one Hogan was in was in the middle of the golf course.

I truly feel that if the spectators were moved back out of the hazard (which they should have been by the marshal) it would have been obvious given that bunker that Dustin or his caddy would have noticed it.

I fully agree with the decision but I also agree with everything Frank Nobilo said following the coverage. Nick Faldo, David Feherety and that whole team are pretty experienced and I GUARANTEE that it becomes obvious to everyone that he was in a hazard if you remove those 600 people from the bunker before the shot.

Should Dustin have realized that? Yes. They have mentioned the 1200 bunkers 1200 times this week and I'm not making an excuse for him. His caddy should have noticed and moved people out of the hazard.

But I'm just saying I can see where in the heat of the moment, having 600 people covering up the hazard doesn't help.

I read the rules sheet when I play in a stinking scramble. I can't imagine a pro not reading the rules sheet prior to a tournament that means as much as they play for.

Sub 70 849 9* driver

:callaway:  Rogue 3 & 5 woods, Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids

:tmade: SIM 2 6-gap irons

:cobra:  King snakebite grove wedges 52 & 58*

:ping: Heppler ZB3 putter

I read the rules sheet when I play in a stinking scramble. I can't imagine a pro not reading the rules sheet prior to a tournament that means as much as they play for.

Yes. Agreed.

That could not have been a more disappointing final hole of the regular rounds to watch. DJ goes into it only needing par to win and he walks away with a double. I know he broke the rules, but it's one time when the rules don't add anything. He gained no unfair advantage from lightly grounding his club away from the ball on his practice swing. (I didn't hear if a verdict was reached on whether he grounded his club again at address.)

A slight tweaking of history and this guy would have two majors under his belt and be the talk of the tour. Oh well...

He kept a good disposition after the US Open, I hope he'll do the same here. I'm sure he'll come back next year with a good attitude and focus.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

You must have missed his all-world up and down on 18 in regulation, with about a 12 footer to even get in a playoff.

The fact that the guy was up there on the leaderboard all day and you still can't spell his name correctly says it all. Do you rely on the Golf Channel headline stories for all of your info or do you actually track the scores that some of these lesser mentioned, but equally good players get week in week out?

Martin Kaymer's been around for a while now and the whole world has known that he's been one of the likeliest first time major winners for the last couple of years.

3:52 jamo: Kaymer is gonna win 3:53 jamo: I'm really going out on a limb there

I believe I called it.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Too bad about DJ. I was watching at the club, and I said, I think that is bunker, I hope he checks before he grounds his club or something... No way they could of rules it different though.
Driver R7 Superquad NV 55 shaft or Bridgestone J33 460 NV 75 shaft
3 and 5 Wood X
Hybrid original Fli Hi 21* or FT 22*
Irons AP2
Wedges Vokey 52* - 8 , 56* 14, 60*-7Putter California CoranodoBall TP RedGPS NeoRange Finder- Bushnell Tour V2 When Chuck Norris puts spin on the ball, the ball does not...

DJ goes into it only needing par to win and he walks away with a double.

Triple actually.

I know he broke the rules, but it's one time when the rules don't add anything. He gained no unfair advantage from lightly grounding his club away from the ball on his practice swing.

I'm not sure how you can say that definitively, but it doesn't matter - the reason the rule is black and white is exactly to prevent the need for making a subjective call as to whether someone gained an advantage or not by grounding.

(I didn't hear if a verdict was reached on whether he grounded his club again at address.)

The verdict was that he did - that's the reason he got the penalty. (Unless he got it for the practice swing, which would've been the case if that was in the bunker - which would make whether he grounded it again at address irrelevant.)

A slight tweaking of history and this guy would have two majors under his belt and be the talk of the tour. Oh well... He kept a good disposition after the US Open, I hope he'll do the same here. I'm sure he'll come back next year with a good attitude and focus.

Agreed on all counts.

Bill

Note: This thread is 4998 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!