IGNORED

2010 PGA Championship

senorchipotle
Note: This thread is 4972 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surprized no one mentioned it but did you see rorys 5 iron on 18!? It was insane he stopped it dead almost, crazy strike

That was possibly one of the best shots I've witnessed. Like Kaymers cold blooded approach to 12 feet or w/e, Rory just stuck it right there, god damn I wish he had made that putt though! That and I had hoped Camilo would've ripped up the course a bit more to get to the -11 number too :/ Another shot that I don't know if it was on TV was Rickie Fowler missed his 2nd shot far left on 11 in...another walked in bunker for all you whiny people. Once again, he didn't bitch one bit, took a good look, decided on his shot, and stuffed the damn thing 6 feet short of the pin, my friend and I were just floored that the walking traffic cone/inmate just did that. Going to these tournaments I'd say is definitely eye opening watching these guys do shots you can't dream of pulling off, knowing they'll pull it off 8 or 9 times out of 10 lol. I also watched Camilo nearly hole out for an ace on....7 on thursday, I kid you not it stopped no more than 6 inches from the cup. Later on the range when he was signing I brought it up and he just chuckled and said thanks lol

:cobra: Fly-Z+ White
:callaway: XR 3 Wood
:adams: Idea Pro Black 21*
:callaway: XR 4 Hybrid
:callaway: Apex 5, Apex Pro 6,7 Apex MB 8,9,P
:tmade: 50° Gap Wedge
:callaway: Mack Daddy 2 54° 58°
:nike: Method 001 33"

Rory should have won the PGA.That putt on the last and a missed four footer on 15 I think would have won him the event without the need for a playoff.Neither putts were that difficult either, putting under pressure his downfall as it has been once or twice in the past.I hope it won't become a common thing during his career.I'd hate for him to end up like Sergio.
A great shot is when you go for it and pull it off. A smart shot is when you don't have the guts to try it. ~ Phil Mickelson.

Ok, I am a bit bitter about all the coverage of who lost the PGA C'ship instead of who won it. I guarantee, if the roles were reversed and Martin Kaymer had gotten the penalty, there would not be ANY discussion around this whole bunker topic. It would be a short "Read the rules, shut up and get out of the way."
This representative cover says it all...

http://digital.globalgolfpost.com/gl...fpost/20100816

some people should take their journalistic approach a bit more professionally and show the sportsmanship and spirit of the game that we all pretend to appreciate so much, and get their priorities straight of who won and who made a stupid mistake.

So here it comes: My totally biased partisan post, cheering for my fellow German Martin Kaymer, major winner.

Coming to the PGA C'ship, he was 25 years old, 13th in the World Ranking (5th now), he had already won his 5th title on the Euro Tour this year, finished 3rd at Doral, 8th at Pebble and 7th at the Old Course. I don't know why so many people did not have MK on the radar at all. The guy is consistent, even on the big venues.

After a solid first round he posted 3 rounds with 13 birdies and only 2 bogeys.
On saturday he played 30 holes with 8 birdies and 1 bogey with the precision and consistency of a surgeon, with irons and putter.

Latest at 16th in the final round, he was pushing his game to Championship level, when he holed that par putt.

On 18th in regulation he pulled an incredible up and down, with a Tiger-like clutch putt to secure his place in the playoff.

Then after being 1 behind Bubba in the playoff he absolutely needed to birdie the ridiculously long 17th to have a realistic chance. And just pulled it off.

Then at last, he proved that not only is he a superb ball striker and pressure putter, but also has the brains to win titles. And anybody calling him names for chipping out of a horrible lie should remember that he left himself a 190yd shot to a tucked pin, which he also delivered.

Martin Kaymer is a true champion and fully deserved to win. Congratulations.

(And whoever says he is not, is full of it. )

In my Tour Combo Bag:

Driver: Superquad 9.5°
5W: 2008 Burner 18°
3H: Idea Pro Gold 20°4H: 2008 Burner Rescue 22°Irons: MP52 R300 5-PWedges: Vokey SM 50.08, 54.11, 58.04, 60.11Putter: Itsy Bitsy SpiderBall: TP Red

Rory should have won the PGA.That putt on the last and a missed four footer on 15 I think would have won him the event without the need for a playoff.Neither putts were that difficult either, putting under pressure his downfall as it has been once or twice in the past.I hope it won't become a common thing during his career.I'd hate for him to end up like Sergio.

Rory is not the head case that Sergio is. The kid will win a few.

Then at last, he proved that not only is he a superb ball striker and pressure putter, but also has the brains to win titles. And anybody calling him names for chipping out of a horrible lie should remember that he left himself a 190yd shot to a tucked pin, which he also delivered.

Agree. He played solid, solid golf, and was clearly in control on every shot I saw him take. I concur with your assessment of the chip out---you don't get a bonus point for making a hero shot. It was a very smart play. Though in some ways he got lucky---being able to drop from the safer side of the lateral hazard gave Watson a real chance at making a bogey, and even after the pitch went into the bunker, it was just about holed out for a 0-putt bogey. Had that happened and had Kaymer not been able to make the putt in that alternate universe, I think there'd be a lot more second-guessing of his lay-up out of the junk.

It'd still have been the right play, since I bet he gets a better score, on average, with a longer approach than with the high-risk shot out of the scrub, but the critics aren't usually satisfied with that kind of statistics...

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

Note: This thread is 4972 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!