IGNORED

Am I the only one with Regular and stiff flex shafts in my bag?

Note: This thread is 3968 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Ok I have pretty much bought all new clubs in the last year or so. Now the strange thing about it is I have Stiff and Regular shaft clubs in my bag.

Driver Callaway FT-5 10.5 Stiff flex,
3 & 5 woods Callaway Big Bertha Diablo Stiff flex ,
Cobra SZ Irons 4-GW steel Regular flex,
Cobra SZ SW and LW steel Stiff flex.

I seem to just hit them better this way. I guess it's my tempo or swing speed with different clubs. I guess the sand and lob wedges are what really sticks out to me. Same shafts and grips as the Iron set just in a stiff flex. But I can hit much closer to the pin with the stiff shafts on these 2 clubs compared to the regular flex shafts for whatever reason. I have never seen anyone with a odd set like this, just wondering if anyone else out there has found this also works for them.

I haven't found one overall rule on this. I sometimes think it may have to do with swingers vs. hitters.

Swingers with a smooth tempo may be better able to bend stiff shafts on the driver and fairway woods. Then, they might opt for regular shafts on the irons, which have shorter shafts and swing arcs, and less chance to flex.

Hitters may try for extra distance on drivers and fairway woods and go regular, but want better control on irons and pick stiff shafts.
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

There are no set definitions for regular, stiff, x-stiff, ladies, or senior flex. It could be that your Cobra irons are the same flex as your woods, the two manufacturers may just have different denominations for flex rating.

Also, I have never seen regular flex wedges that weren't part of an iron set. "Wedge flex" is just stiff.

Ok I have pretty much bought all new clubs in the last year or so. Now the strange thing about it is I have Stiff and Regular shaft clubs in my bag.

While it isn't what I game, it isn't terribly uncommon for the irons to be a softer flex than the rest. With longer clubs, you can achieve a faster speed; in particular with the driver. Furthermore, even stock wedges tend to be heavier than standard; for example, Nike wedges are stock at S400.

I'm all X at the top, all S at the bottom. So, my driver, 2 wood, and 2 iron are all X. My irons and wedges are S. I find I prefer the S flex in steel (the 2 iron is a 6.5, so a soft X), even though I hit a bit high with them and lose some distance, I prefer the feel (I have arthritis). Use what fits you.

My irons are regular. Everything else is stiff. Works for me and my driver SS is about 107 MPH. Like most things in golf, swing speeds and flex recommendations are just that - recommendations. They work for many, but not all.

My driver, hybrid, and irons are regular. My 3W is stiff, and my wedges are wedges. The 3W is stiff only because it was cheap and that's the shaft it had, no science to it. I don't hit it any more or less consistently than my other clubs, so I don't think it causes any trouble. It is a fairly floppy stiff as stiffs go, so it's probably not that different from the other clubs.

There are no set definitions for regular, stiff, x-stiff, ladies, or senior flex. It could be that your Cobra irons are the same flex as your woods, the two manufacturers may just have different denominations for flex rating.

Agreed, it is too bad there is no standardization between manufacturers which would make shaft comparisons a lot easier. Personally I use R flex irons and woods/hybrid but my driver says stiff but in reality seems somewhere between regular and firm.

Driver-4 hybrid are stiff. 5-pw are regular flex. GW,SW wedge flex

Also, I have never seen regular flex wedges that weren't part of an iron set. "Wedge flex" is just stiff.

I've always understood wedge flex to be inbetween reg and stiff. Kind of like a uniflex.

Note: This thread is 3968 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!