IGNORED

Comprehensive Camera for Filming your Golf Swing Thread

Harmonious
Note: This thread is 3209 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by iacas

I have a GorillaPod. I also have this, which is a no-brainer to buy:

http://www.amazon.com/GoPro-Tripod-Mount-HERO-Cameras/dp/B002RCLYXG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid;=1354632111&sr;=8-1&keywords;=gopro+tripod (when I bought, the OFFICIAL GoPro one was $5.99 - this one's a knockoff but the official one is weirdly $11.95 on Amazon right now. I doubt the knockoff is problematic - it's a simple piece of plastic).

Also, consider this: http://www.amazon.com/GoPro-Camera-ANDMK-301-Naked-Frame/dp/B009PK9QGU/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie;=UTF8&qid;=1354632214&sr;=1-1&keywords;=gopro+frame You're welcome to use the waterproof housing that comes with the camera, but it's bulky. I like the frame's simplicity.

Note: you'll probably want to add the LCD BacPac.

Ok, to summarize - I think I know what I'll need now:

1.) H3 Black camera ($399)

2.) Tripod mount ($11.95)

3.) Naked Frame ($39.99)

4.) LCD BacPac ($79 - on Amazon it is $88.99)

5.) Tripod ?? - need to figure out which one I'm going to buy

And last but not least... You recommend the Gorilla tripod?  That seems small.  How do you get the proper height for filming?  Do you just rest it on your golf bag stand?  Seems like there should be a better solution?  When I took a lesson with Dana last week - he had a larger tripod that wasn't exactly small - but it was collapsible... More of a professional looking/traditional photographer setup.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Beachcomber

Ok, to summarize - I think I know what I'll need now:

1.) H3 Black camera ($399)

2.) Tripod mount ($11.95)

3.) Naked Frame ($39.99)

4.) LCD BacPac ($79 - on Amazon it is $88.99)

5.) Tripod ?? - need to figure out which one I'm going to buy

And last but not least... You recommend the Gorilla tripod?  That seems small.  How do you get the proper height for filming?  Do you just rest it on your golf bag stand?  Seems like there should be a better solution?  When I took a lesson with Dana last week - he had a larger tripod that wasn't exactly small - but it was collapsible... More of a professional looking/traditional photographer setup.

Yeah Amazon is usually cheaper or at least the same cost. Again I got the official GoPro tripod mount for $5.99. Amazon Prime shipping for two days free, too. I was shocked to see it $11.95 today. It's $7.99 at GoPro's site though oddly they don't list it on the sidebar anymore: http://gopro.com/camera-mounts/tripod-mount/ .

Anyway, tripods are what you want. I use my GoPro to film disc golf and for that the GorillaPod is great. For golf I stuck it on my cheapie tripod (~$75). For photography, my tripod cost about $750 (and the ballhead about $600 on top of that, no pun intended).

The GorillaPod would be a good thing to have - you could stick it on a cart's steering wheel or frame to record your swings on the course, a club in your bag to record yours swing on the range, whatever.

But a true tripod is great too.

BTW did you plan in the cost of a micro-SD card?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I got the tripod mount for $6 from walmart.com http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?dest=9999999997&product;_id=20692711&sourceid;=21775485362712410135&veh;=aff&wmlspartner;=lw9MynSeamY Its free shipping if you choose the ship to store option.

Originally Posted by iacas

Yeah Amazon is usually cheaper or at least the same cost. Again I got the official GoPro tripod mount for $5.99. Amazon Prime shipping for two days free, too. I was shocked to see it $11.95 today. It's $7.99 at GoPro's site though oddly they don't list it on the sidebar anymore: http://gopro.com/camera-mounts/tripod-mount/ .

Anyway, tripods are what you want. I use my GoPro to film disc golf and for that the GorillaPod is great. For golf I stuck it on my cheapie tripod (~$75). For photography, my tripod cost about $750 (and the ballhead about $600 on top of that, no pun intended).

The GorillaPod would be a good thing to have - you could stick it on a cart's steering wheel or frame to record your swings on the course, a club in your bag to record yours swing on the range, whatever.

But a true tripod is great too.

BTW did you plan in the cost of a micro-SD card?

Ok... This is becoming a project! LOL  We need a Bill-of-Material thread or something.  My Lord!

I guess I'll start with the GorillaPod - as I'm not dropping $750/$600 on one!!

Secondly, what speed of micro-SD should I target?  The camera doesn't come with one?

Man, this is an expensive 'hobby'.

• Administrator

I guess I'll start with the GorillaPod - as I'm not dropping $750/$600 on one!!

Secondly, what speed of micro-SD should I target?  The camera doesn't come with one?

Sorry to "overhaul" your perception of your hobby... ;)

I did say you can buy a $50 or $25 or $75 tripod.

SD card: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009QZH7BU/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&keywords;=sandisk%20microsd%20card&qid;=1354645278&sr;=8-4 for 32 GB. 16 GB option available too.

Must be Class 10 or faster.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Also if you don't mind waiting and looking for a good deal its a good idea to do a search on slickdeals for GoPro and see if there are any good deals going. I got my Silver edition for $200 and the retail price on that is $300. I have seen the black go for around $310-350 several times since I have been looking for one. http://slickdeals.net/newsearch.php?forumchoice%5B%5D=4&forumchoice;%5B%5D=9&forumchoice;%5B%5D=10&forumchoice;%5B%5D=13&forumchoice;%5B%5D=25&forumchoice;%5B%5D=30&forumchoice;%5B%5D=38&forumchoice;%5B%5D=39&forumchoice;%5B%5D=41&forumchoice;%5B%5D=44&forumchoice;%5B%5D=53&forumchoice;%5B%5D=54&q;=gopro&showposts;=0&archive;=0&firstonly;=1

Thanks guys!  I really appreciate all the input and advice.  I can't wait to get one.  I've been pushing the wife to let me go buy it and say it was from her for Christmas, but she isn't having that.  So I guess I'll start buying all these accessories now, so that when I get the camera, I'm ready to shoot.

Can you record a swing vertically and send it to me?

Here are the Nikon 1 videos in vertical mode. If this doesn't work, let me know, I am quite new to this Cloud Sharing thingy. http://cl.ly/0I3w3Q382545 http://cl.ly/1R2d3K1n011b

Michael

• Administrator
Originally Posted by mchepp

Here are the Nikon 1 videos in vertical mode.

If this doesn't work, let me know, I am quite new to this Cloud Sharing thingy.

http://cl.ly/0I3w3Q382545

http://cl.ly/1R2d3K1n011b

Those worked. Not bad. 400 FPS might be overkill, and the picture seems a little blurrier than I'd have expected, but I'm surprised at the shaft still blurring a bit... was the shutter speed 1/800th? Slower? We typically like 1/1500 or 1/2000 or even faster outdoors in good light.

The 6 second thing is still the killer. :(

How did you get them upright? Is that an Analyzer Pro thing? They are nice and large in your photos. I set it at 1/800 DTL and 1/640 FO, because it was partly cloudy today. I think on a bright day I can go to 1/1500 or 1/2000, maybe even higher. When I try again I will post it here. The 400fps is overkill. I would rather trade resolution for lower frame rates. Yes, the 6sec thing is bad. Awful for a guy like me. I feel pretty rushed to run up to the ball get set and hit it within the window. If I had a remote, it might be better with a 10sec delay, but still it is major knock on it.

Michael

• Administrator

How did you get them upright? Is that an Analyzer Pro thing? They are nice and large in your photos.

Analyzr Pro will rotate videos and remember the orientation, yes.

Originally Posted by mchepp

If I had a remote, it might be better with a 10sec delay, but still it is major knock on it.

You can get a remote for them, though, right?

And yeah, on a sunny day you should have no problems at 1/2000.

Analyzr Pro will rotate videos and remember the orientation, yes. You can get a remote for them, though, right? And yeah, on a sunny day you should have no problems at 1/2000.

Orientation change would be a nice feature for Student also. :) Yes, one can buy one. If I decide to use it longer term I will get the remote.

Michael

• Administrator

Orientation change would be a nice feature for Student also. :)

Nah. That's one of the many reasons why Pro is worth a few hundred bucks more. :) Plus you can just rotate your videos in QuickTime Player before you import them.

• 4 weeks later...

Go Pro Hero 3 Black, WVGA 240fps is sick.  I can play it back in Windows Media Player - and it looks awesome 240fps slowmotion - very clear.  No shaft blur.  Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to get it into a video editor that will let me upload to Youbtube without converting it back to a 30fps video....

Go Pro Hero 3 Black, WVGA 240fps is sick.  I can play it back in Windows Media Player - and it looks awesome 240fps slowmotion - very clear.  No shaft blur.  Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to get it into a video editor that will let me upload to Youbtube without converting it back to a 30fps video....

For some reason my videos get all screwed up in windows media player when I try and put them in slow motion.  I got the silver edition and 120 fps looks awesome in slow motion when I slow it down with Adobe Premiere but my free trial of that is going to run out soon and it cost a ton of money.  Any other good options out there?

Originally Posted by darkhunter139

For some reason my videos get all screwed up in windows media player when I try and put them in slow motion.  I got the silver edition and 120 fps looks awesome in slow motion when I slow it down with Adobe Premiere but my free trial of that is going to run out soon and it cost a ton of money.  Any other good options out there?

I use Windows 7 and with it comes Windows Live Movie Maker.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/features/movie-maker

I found within the Windows Live Movie Maker application, that once the GoPro video is imported, you can edit it within the application and slow it down to 0.125x.  This does the trick and gets it back to a speed that is slow enough to see the positions and alignments without issue.

• Upvote 1

• Administrator

I found within the Windows Live Movie Maker application, that once the GoPro video is imported, you can edit it within the application and slow it down to 0.125x.  This does the trick and gets it back to a speed that is slow enough to see the positions and alignments without issue.

Next up: learning to trim! ;)

Note: This thread is 3209 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!