IGNORED

What's the furthest you've ever holed out from?

vct33
Note: This thread is 3782 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Slice of Life

I'm like "What was that about percentages?"

How was I being an ass?

Your comment after holing the chip has no other definition than smart- ass ed.

What would you call it??

Whether or not it crossed any lines is up to those there to judge.  Doesn't seem like that big of a deal, but it's still certainly an unnecessary smart-assed comment.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Your comment after holing the chip has no other definition than smart-assed.

What would you call it??

Whether or not it crossed any lines is up to those there to judge.  Doesn't seem like that big of a deal, but it's still certainly an unnecessary smart-assed comment.

Being a smart ass is different than being an ass. It was playful and all in fun. Context and tone doesn't always come through in text.

It was a fun scramble, and all of us had our share of smartass moments.

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Par 4 420y 2nd shot , 160y,uphill .
What I Play:
913D3 9.5°Diamana Kai'li 70 Stiff  "C3" | 910F 15°, Diamana Kai'li 80 Stiff "D2" | 910H 19°,  Diamana Kai'li for Titleist 85 Hybrid Stiff | Titleist 714 AP2 4 to P Aerotech Steelfiber i110 S | SM4 Vokey 50.12, 54.14 & SM5 60.11K| 34" Edel Umpqua + 40g Counter Weight

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fourputt

So you got lucky with a low percentage shot and that justifies being an ass? (by the way, I doubt that there is an instructor worth his fee who would teach using a LW for a fringe chip)  I got lucky a few times with a LW too, but because the strokes it cost me outweighed the strokes it saved, I no longer even own one.

How was I being an ass? I didn't ask for advice, nor did I want it, and she's demanding I hit the shot she wants...just because she's better than me, doesn't mean I have to listen to her unwanted advice, nor does it mean she was justified. I wasn't yelling at her, even though she got all uppity about me hitting what she wanted. We were all having fun, and we laughed about it (her included) afterwards.

I chip from the fringe with my 60 every single time, and it's one of the best parts of my game. Matter of fact, I holed out a chip last night with my 60 from the fringe.

EDIT: For the record, both my cousin and his friend (who I had never met) didn't think I crossed any lines, and said she should have just let me hit my shot.

Just 2 comments:

The way you told the story in the original post did make you sound like a bit of an ass, then you completely changed the tone in the reply to mine.

If you learned to chip with more than one club, you might bring that 22 handicap down a few strokes very quickly.  I don't buy into the LW chipping theory as being the best way to go.  My handicap ballooned from 10 to 16 while I had a 60° in the bag (and yes, I practiced with it a lot).  When I took it out of the bag, my cap dropped back down to 11.  Too many players seem to have the belief that since they have the LW, they have to use for every greenside shot, and that is usually a mistake.  Even slight misshits are punished too heavily.  The LW is really a specialty club, not a general purpose utility wedge. Now I carry a 56° as a high loft utility club and a 54° as a SW,  My PW and GW are my most used chipping clubs.

I don't expect to change your mind, just putting in my two cents.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

205 yards, 2nd shot on 8th hole par 4 at Country Place Golf Club evening 9 hole event back in the 80s.  We looked and looked for my ball and one of my competitors looked in the hole and there it was.  None of us saw it go in.  Will never forget his comment.  "Somehow there is a big difference between your 9 handicap and my 9 handicap".

Bag: Titleist
Driver: TM RBZ 9.5
Fairway metals: TM RBZ 3 wood
Hybrids: TM RBZ 3, 4 and 5
Irons: TM Burner 1.0 6 thru LW stiff steel shafts
Putter: Ping B60
Ball: TM Tour Preferred X or ProV1x
Check out littlejohngolfleague.com  A Greater Houston TX traveling golf league.

Just 2 comments:

The way you told the story in the original post did make you sound like a bit of an ass, then you completely changed the tone in the reply to mine.

If you learned to chip with more than one club, you might bring that 22 handicap down a few strokes very quickly.  I don't buy into the LW chipping theory as being the best way to go.  My handicap ballooned from 10 to 16 while I had a 60° in the bag (and yes, I practiced with it a lot).  When I took it out of the bag, my cap dropped back down to 11.  Too many players seem to have the belief that since they have the LW, they have to use for every greenside shot, and that is usually a mistake.  Even slight misshits are punished too heavily.  The LW is really a specialty club, not a general purpose utility wedge.  Now I carry a 56° as a high loft utility club and a 54° as a SW,  My PW and GW are my most used chipping clubs.

I don't expect to change your mind, just putting in my two cents.

To the bolded part: Perhaps. Context is everything and I can see how it could be taken the way you took it.

To the rest:

I see what you're saying, but I'm not so sure my handicap would drop (It's also an unofficial one, I have no clue what it actually is). The reason for that is my 60 is my money club. my short pitch/chip game is really the only part of my game that's consistent, and one of the only reasons my handicap isn't higher. My buddy Mike consistently strikes the ball better than me, and rarely misses a fairway, but I always end up beating him around the green.

I've occasionally used my 52, or even my 7 iron to chip if the situation called for it, but most of the time, it's my 60. I'm sure you're probably right in the long run, but I have way to much to work on to even focus any practice time on changing that right now.

(two cents is always appreciated btw, I've already learned a ton from some of you guys in my short time here)

Ryan M

The way you told the story in the original post did make you sound like a bit of an ass...

I agree.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fourputt

The LW is really a specialty club, not a general purpose utility wedge.

I don't agree. To each his own.

Tyler Martin

I would use my 58 in certain situations from the fringe.  Example is a down hill shot to the pin with a lot of fringe to go through (i.e. diagonally).  A lower lofted club may get too much speed and a putt may hang up.  I can pitch the ball just over the fringe and then let it roll.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Originally Posted by geauxforbroke

Quote:

The way you told the story in the original post did make you sound like a bit of an ass...

I agree.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fourputt

The LW is really a specialty club, not a general purpose utility wedge.

I don't agree. To each his own.

Yep.  Great thing about golf is it lets you use your imagination.  I figure I have all these wedges so I might as well use them.  I learned the game when I didn't even own a sand wedge - did my fringe chipping with a 7I.  Tom Watson still doesn't carry a LW, and there's never been anything wrong with his wedge play.

Rick

Yep.  Great thing about golf is it lets you use your imagination.  I figure I have all these wedges so I might as well use them.  I learned the game when I didn't even own a sand wedge - did my fringe chipping with a 7I.  Tom Watson still doesn't carry a LW, and there's never been anything wrong with his wedge play.

For the life of me, I've never jived with a sand wedge. Almost everything inside of 60 yards is my 60, inside of 100 is my 52, and inside of 130 is my PW, unless I need some bump and run action.

I have an AW that came with my irons too, but I haven't really found a use for it. Even out of sand it's my 60.

Ryan M

Quote:

For the life of me, I've never jived with a sand wedge. Almost everything inside of 60 yards is my 60, inside of 100 is my 52, and inside of 130 is my PW, unless I need some bump and run action.

I have an AW that came with my irons too, but I haven't really found a use for it. Even out of sand it's my 60.

That AW is a gap wedge, same function as your 52°.  My GW is 51°.  I had a Vokey, but I like the PW for my AP-2 set so well that I ordered the GW to go with it.  It's probably the most used club in my bag aside from my putter.

Rick

My longest hole-out was a 228yd 3-iron........I don't even carry one of those clubs anymore..LOL  I was in the rough after a terrible tee-shot on a long par4. The shot came out low and hot....landed well short of the green and rolled on...then into the cup...easy deuce.LOL

I also holed out twice from the rough from 150yds for deuces.  I have 12 par4 deuces in total, but these are my longest.  I've holed several sand wedges from between 80-100yds.

My only ace came from 164yds......

PS

It cracks me up when threads are dug-up from 3 years ago...LOL

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

• Administrator

I have to revise my previous post of 99 yards. I think I holed out from about 120 yards in my PAT.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1990 Gator Hole GC (RIP) Myrtle Beach, 1st hole, 165yds, 6 iron out of the rough.

Jim Morgan

Driver: :callaway: GBB Epic Speed 10.5 deg Reg
Woods: 3W :callaway: Epic Flash 15 deg, Heavenwood:callaway:GBB 20 deg
4 Hybrid: :callaway:  Epic Flash 21 deg, 5 Hybird: :callaway: Apex 24 deg
Irons: :ping: G425 Graphite 6-SW, Wedges: :ping: Glide 58 deg
Putter: :bettinardi: Armlock  :aimpoint: Express
 :titleist: golf bag, Blue Tees RF

I holed out on a drivable par 4, 305 yards during the qualifying round for a match play tournament.  It was hard to tell if it went in, but the guy on the next tee

was overlooking the green and started yelling,  crazy.

Skulled a 6 iron about 170 meters for a very unattractive eagle once.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

It's crazy when I think about it......12 deuces..LOL

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Then why does Tom put his name on these? Another great athlete shilling something he doesn't use.  My dreams are shattered.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Note: This thread is 3782 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!