IGNORED

How much do you spend on golf?

rembrandt
Note: This thread is 4643 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 member has voted

1. 1. How much $$$ annually?

• under$100
    • 100-300
    • 301-500
    • 501-1000
    • 1001-2000
    • 2001-5000
    • 5000+

Membership - 5k

club mins - 1.2k

equipment - 1k or more

a few lessons - 250.00ish

Soft costs carts / caddies - 1.5k ish

golf trips - 3 to 5k depending on how much of the trips you slot direct to golf cost

it is good my wife doesn't know what i spend...

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

about $200/ mo in green fees and the 19th hole.  i'll play around once a week, sometimes more.  when its more, then we're talking over $300/mo.

-- another person glad his wife doesn't know how much he spends...

In my Grom Stand bag:

Driver: Ping G20, 8.5 Tour Stiff
Wood/Hybrid: G20 3W, Raylor 19*, 22*
Irons: R9 5I - SW, TM CGB LW

Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi-Mid

Favorites: Old Ranch (Seal Beach), Ike/Babe (Industry Hills), Skylinks (Long Beach), Desert Willow (Palm Desert)

Annual pass: $2,000..............I average 100 rounds/yr on my home course

Golf played away from my home course/year: 20 rounds X $60 average= 1,200

So there's $3200 average just for playing..........

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

• 10 months later...

Hey guys,

Just picked up golf this summer and was wondering how much you spend.  While I realize it has a reputation as being an expensive game, I'm looking for realistic expectations and/or the best way to rationalize the cost.

My brother gave me his old irons, which are over 20 years old but seem to work fine, (Titleist DTR's), as well as a 5w.  To date, I've spent $500 on golf; 1/3 of it at the driving range, 1/3 of it on greens fees, and 1/3 on lessons/balls/grips/etc.  As you can see, I'm an analyst, which I'm not sure will help or hurt when it comes to golf.  But I digress.

I saw that I was spending a lot at the driving range, so started shopping around to find ways to keep that cost down (while still being able to play as much as I want) and found an indoor driving range open all year, and it costs only $99 for 12 months of unlimited hitting, and already have a reputation there as being dedicated to practice.  The facility includes a computer/2 videocameras that show your swings with about 20 different metrics, I'm sure you know what I mean.  It's in a new store which is why I think the deal is so good...competitors in the area are much higher prices for this kind of deal.  I live just outside of Chicago so it's about to get cold now anyway; I'm actually surprised that the place isn't crowded very often.

Anyway, I have a decent career and right now am living well within my means, so I have a reasonable amount of disposable income, but between an upcoming wedding and hopefully a house within the near future, I need to be a little responsible about my spending.  I have forgone an old hobby that I spent about $50-100 per month on, but golf seems to be more expensive than that.  My goal is to be a bogey golfer in 1-2 years, compared to now where...I average 36 on my par-3 nine hole course, and that's not counting mulligans where I usually take about three per nine holes.

Right now my approach is to practice as much as I can at the practice facility (I've been going almost every day), along with a lesson every other week.  I am going to a local par-3 course on the weekends as well, and have recently discovered how different the practice facility is compared to a real course...but that's a different thread.

Anyway, wanted to gauge how much is a typical amount to spend on golf.

I spend about 40-50 a week. I would label myself right between casual and avid golfer. It breaks down to 20-40 on greensfees and then 5-7 bucks on range sessions. I am lucky to have a nice range near by with really low rates and its rare I play a round of golf when theres no discount involved. I love twilight weekday rounds, its cheaper and you almost always have the course to your self.

I feel like kicking your ass or this post.... I had not looked at this aspect so I am a little taken a back with how much I have spent.

I spent roughly $1785.00 this year.....maybe more....

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I spend about $50 a week: 1 18-hole round on the weekend, 1 9-hole round during the week and a bucket of balls at the range once a week.  Beyond that, Ive spent a fair amount of money this year tinkering with different clubs.  Thats a cost that you dont need to have but I like to tinker and try different clubs.  From now on Im going to resist that though because different clubs havent made me a better golfer.  Honestly, from now on Im probably going to just buy clone golf clubs simply because I feel that name brand clubs are so overpriced and overrated.  In the past I played clones (started out with a set of Knight clubs that I bought at Wal-Mart for $200 and after that played Pinemeadow clubs) and Im not convinced that they are so inferior to name brand.

Another cost is lessons.  IMO, if you want to be good at golf you need lessons.  Prices vary but most of the lessons around here go for anywhere from $40-$75 an hour.

Golf doesnt have to be a super-expensive sport.  You can play inexpensive golf clubs (theres plenty of very good sets that are $300 or less), play inexpensive balls and you can walk or play during the week and not spend a fortune on golf.

The best thing you can do to save money on golf is to not get into whats known as, "club hoing".  That means, constantly buying and selling different clubs thinking that a club change will help you play better.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

I play year round and I generally play twice a week. $40-$50 on average per round including warm up range balls. Add in consumables such as balls, gloves, etc... and I figure I'm somewhere around $500 a month. That's exclusive of tournament fees, travel expense (gas adds up even locally), clubs, shoes, and other longer lived gear that gets replaced periodically. Best guess, all in, probably +/- $8,000 annually..... .....as long as my winnings at least offset my losses to the rat bastards I play with! Too much, and to be clear, there is absolutely NO need to spend anywhere near that to enjoy the game!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Originally Posted by GaijinGolfer

I spend about $50 a week: 1 18-hole round on the weekend, 1 9-hole round during the week and a bucket of balls at the range once a week.  Beyond that, Ive spent a fair amount of money this year tinkering with different clubs.  Thats a cost that you dont need to have but I like to tinker and try different clubs.  From now on Im going to resist that though because different clubs havent made me a better golfer.  Honestly, from now on Im probably going to just buy clone golf clubs simply because I feel that name brand clubs are so overpriced and overrated.  In the past I played clones (started out with a set of Knight clubs that I bought at Wal-Mart for $200 and after that played Pinemeadow clubs) and Im not convinced that they are so inferior to name brand.

Another cost is lessons.  IMO, if you want to be good at golf you need lessons.  Prices vary but most of the lessons around here go for anywhere from $40-$75 an hour.

Golf doesnt have to be a super-expensive sport.  You can play inexpensive golf clubs (theres plenty of very good sets that are $300 or less), play inexpensive balls and you can walk or play during the week and not spend a fortune on golf.

The best thing you can do to save money on golf is to not get into whats known as, "club hoing".  That means, constantly buying and selling different clubs thinking that a club change will help you play better.

Ha, thanks for the feedback and completely agree about the clubs.  I learned this on day one as my brother, who is a good golfer, took the 9 iron and hit it 150 yards with a swing that didn't look like he was even trying.  It set me straight right away to not blame the clubs.

I am taking lessons at a local store and it's $200 for 6 one hour lessons, which is a pretty good rate.  I don't think he's a certified PGA instructor, but he's good enough to explain how to improve my swing, which is all that really matters.

I spend 100 a month of course membership and another 120-200 on cart fees and range fees or greens fees at another course. So probably 3000 a year average not including any lessons or equipment costs.

There is absolutely no telling what I spend a year and I don't think I want to figure it out. I know I spend 3400 bucks between two clubs for unlimited play every year. Beyond that, I club ho like a maniac even though I know it does no good for my game (I just like clubs, I also tournament fish a lot and you should see what my fishing gear selection looks like).

Oh well, I have a good income and almost no debt so what else am I going to do with it?

910 D2 10.5  910F 3w  910H 19*

712 AP1 4-GW  Vokey SM4 54* and 58*

Select Golo  E5

I spent about $55 this week, which included two rounds (one at $26 and the other at $18) and two trips to the range at 5 each. That's pretty typical.

Some things to keep costs down:

- Set up a practice net in your backyard, you can hit into it every day for free and reduce the number of times you need to go to the range

- Play twilight rates as much as possible

- Use Golf 18 or other similar, they have good deals on greens fees

- Walk as much as possible; it's better for you, you'll play better, and you'll save money

- When I was in grad school and on a poverty-level income, I found a huge open field on campus and nobody minded if I hit balls there. I got a bunch of cheap balls and a shag bag and just walked back and forth across the field working on different shots. It was good practice, and free.

Driver: TaylorMade Burner 2.0 Superfast, 10.5*, Regular

5 Wood:  TaylorMade Burner 2.0 Superfast, 18*, Regular

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Rescue Mid 4, 22*

Irons:  Nike Slingshot OSS 4-PW

Wedges: Cleveland CG16 Black, 52*, 56*, 60*

Putter:  Nike OZ Black T130, SuperStroke Slim 55

Ball:  Bridgestone e6

Rangefinder:  Callaway Razr

Originally Posted by TimG3394

If you don't mind me asking, where outside of Chicago exactly and what is the facility for $99?

The new PGA Superstore in Schaumburg... it's 5-10 minutes from Arlington Heights.

They started at $250 but for some reason, people weren't' signing up...the facility is always empty.  So they lowered it to $99.  I'm guessing if people start buying it they'll increase it again.

The $99 includes some other bonus things, for example, free labor for any re-gripping & re-sizing ($1 normally) and some other occasional offers...for example I took advantage of a $25 off putter deal, which was on top of their sale price to get a great discount.

Expensive this season. I replaced my driver and FWs and got a hybrid, so a cost there of about $900.

Paid $250 for a Mon-Fri senior membership, get to play 18 w/cart for $15. When playing at other courses, can be $11 for 9 holes walking, or $25-$40 for 18. So, $250 plus about $85 a month and $30 a month for range balls.

And, lessons this year = Four for $200.

So, counting incidentals, probably about $1,800 this year. Last year, with no new clubs and lesser play, probably about $700.

( Note: I bought first-year model woods, close to full price, and I'm not sure I like the hybrid! I guess I'm suggesting you let other players Beta test a new model for a year - if it's good, test it out and then buy it after first big price break).

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I was lucky enough to join my local country club which has unbelievable junior rates. The course is very well kept and with everything, I pay $170 a month without cart fees. Up to this year, carts were free but now charge $7 per 18, which is not bad at all. We have a great grass range with unlimited balls of course.

Note: This thread is 4643 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!