IGNORED

Best iPhone Golf GPS App?

I have golfshot GPS. I find it frustrating getting my phone out all the time on the course.

The best thing i can think of is the detailed scorecards. Can i just use it for the scorecard feature and not gps?
Superlight 3.5 Bag
TM Superfast Driver
TM Superfast 3 Wood

Cleveland Hybore Hybrid
X-24 4-SW Irons
Ping Tour 54 - 62 WedgesOriginal Anser Putter Pro V1

I have golfshot GPS. I find it frustrating getting my phone out all the time on the course.

I bought an inexpensive case with a flip cover for my iPhone when using it on the golf course. I just slip it into my back pocket like I would a score card. It's easier to get out than the card and no fishing around for a pencil.

I have both Golfshot and the newest version of Golflink — which is half the price. Both are very similar, and both are very good but I prefer to use Golfshot because of its yardage page that shows front, back, and center to the green yardage, as well as distance to hazards. It's incredibly accurate and with my iPhone 4 have no problems with battery consumption if I use the recommended settings. It is fast and easy to enter your score on each hole as well as your drive location, sand saves, etc. At the end of the round I click on "end round" and the program automatically emails a copy of my scorecard. It also has a really good display of stats.

• 1 month later...
I had a question about golfshot..

Can you have the application running and your phone switched off somehow, so that you don't receive any calls while on the course?

I had a question about golfshot..

Depends on your phone.

Androids have airplane mode which turns off your mobile network and allows you to still use the GPS. I absolutely love analyzing my rounds when I get home online with detailed statistics from GolfShot. Fairways hit, greens in reg, sand saves, scramble saves and putts/hole.

Waiting out the 2 feet of snow that just dropped on the course....

Any idea if this is possible with the iPhone 4?

According to this:

http://www.apple.com/batteries/iphone.html It certainly sounds like you can. Turning on Airplane mode only turns off the cellular network, I think location services are independant of the cellular network. In fact it would probably help with your iPhone battery life on the course (note: I've never walked away from the course with my phone less than 30% after a round, but still keep a spare battery in my bag just in case)

Any idea if this is possible with the iPhone 4?

G'day. I have an iphone 4 and golfshot is by far the best purchase I have made for it. I just put it on silent when I am on the course and it works fine. If I get a phone call then I will most likely not see the person calling cause it will be in my trundler compartment (Clicgear three wheel push cart). It has all my local courses mapped out, no problems what so ever since I got it.

Driver: :tmade: R1 S 10 degree Wood: :ping: G20 3W Hybrid: :nike:Covert Pro 3H
Irons: :tmade: Rocketbladez Tour 4i-AW KBS S SW: :cleveland: CG15 54 degree
LW: :cleveland: CG15 58 degree Putter: :tmade: Corza Ghost Ball: :tmade: Penta

"Golf Shot GPS" is the best I have seen so far.

In my Tour Combo Bag:

Driver: Superquad 9.5°
5W: 2008 Burner 18°
3H: Idea Pro Gold 20°4H: 2008 Burner Rescue 22°Irons: MP52 R300 5-PWedges: Vokey SM 50.08, 54.11, 58.04, 60.11Putter: Itsy Bitsy SpiderBall: TP Red

It is definitely legit.

You can also try Sonocaddie . It is free, as long as you only load 1 course.
However, with my old iphone 3G it is not very stable and shuts down from time to time, when push notifications come in.
But since it is free for the first course, there is no risk.

In my Tour Combo Bag:

Driver: Superquad 9.5°
5W: 2008 Burner 18°
3H: Idea Pro Gold 20°4H: 2008 Burner Rescue 22°Irons: MP52 R300 5-PWedges: Vokey SM 50.08, 54.11, 58.04, 60.11Putter: Itsy Bitsy SpiderBall: TP Red

Golfshot is absolutely worth the $30 (very cheap compared to the $250 you'd be dropping on an actual GPS)

I'd take Golfshot over any gps anyways for the detailed scoring. It gives you readings to all bunkers, 100 yd layups, 200 yd layups, front edge, back edge, records the score, putts, your drive accuracy, sand saves, scramble saves and which clubs you hit. It's awesome at the end of every round being able to decipher your round with full stats.

Only thing it really is missing is detailed greens but i can just get that from my real scorecard anyways. The thing is accurate as can be too.

Golfshot is absolutely worth the $30 (very cheap compared to the $250 you'd be dropping on an actual GPS)

The GPS on smartphones are not as strong and is not as accurate as most standalone golf GPS systems. The iPhone sometimes may rely on A-GPS (Assisted GPS) when satellite receptions are weak. I have an iPhone and it has been fairly inaccurate and you most of the time are second guessing your yardages as the numbers fluctuate by ~10 yards even when you are standing still. Also, using your phone as a GPS runs the risk of losing it or breaking it and to replace an iPhone 4 is quite a bit more expensive than a standalone GPS unit. Oh and what happens on the days that you go to the course with less than full battery? You most likely won't have any batter life left at the end of the round. I don't own a GPS but if I were to get one it'd no doubt be a standalone.

« Keith »

I've used Golfshot since it first came out. Playing on three different continents, it's never once let me down. Can't think of any other golf-related item that has been better value for the money.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've used Golfshot since it first came out. Playing on three different continents, it's never once let me down. Can't think of any other golf-related item that has been better value for the money.

Look at your "Map" application then click the "My Location" symbol. You see your blue dot and a light shaded circle of blue around it. That shows how accurate the GPS thinks it is. At times this is not very good at all. Imagine being in a place like Bethpage where it has 5 courses and not near any cell towers to bounce off of. The result is some very accurate yardages. I guess this is a losing argument with you since you find it to be reliable. Just letting the possible purchasers know the negatives of having a smartphone based golf GPS.

« Keith »

Yup, it's the old your-mileage-may-vary caveat. From a technical point of view, some dedicated golf GPS units do include WAAS (Wide Angle Augmentation System) -- which improves position accuracy to < 3 meters under normal conditions -- and (as far as I know) no cell phone GPS chips support this. A much bigger real world issue, though, in a golf course environment is likely to be simple tree cover.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades