IGNORED

Gym and Golf = better game?

Note: This thread is 4980 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This is no different than any workout program. It's not just a P90x thing other than seeing your buddies at the gym. The bottom line is, if you want to get in shape and stay in shape, you have to make a lifestyle change. No diets, no 3 month workout plans, etc...It has to be a lifestyle change or chances are you will end up being just like you were. The sleep is something that is required when lifting no matter what you are doing. Eating right is usually required with getting fit (I say usually because some guys are just genetically built to be fit and can eat what they want with no consequence). The people that quit are the ones that get gym memberships and go "workout" but spend most of the time talking instead of working out. The P90x pushes you and doesn't allow you to just sit around talking while allowing your heart rate to drop. Very good program IMO.

The same people that say deadlifts are bad for you are the ones that say squats are bad for your knees.

They are also the people that will never get any bigger or stronger

Taylormade RBZ 10.5 driver, Taylormade Burner 2.0 15 deg 3 wood, Mizuno JPX800 19deg hybrid, Taylormade Burner 2.0 4-PW, Titleist Vokey 52,56,60 rusty wedges, Odyssey White Ice #7 360gm tour weight, Bridgestone B330S

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whenever P90X comes up, I always throw Insanity in the mix. Same type of in home workout program, made by the same people. Only difference, no props (weights, chairs, ec) needed. I don't think the workout is any easier, just different. Will absolutely kick your *ss, help you cut fat, build muscle, and increase endurance.

CARBITE Putter

As far as eating healthy and sleeping goes, that really has nothing to do with P90X. Any exercise program should be supplemented with those two things, and they should actually be an every day thing for anyone, gym or not. Eating healthy and sleeping right are just things that you should do if you want to be healthy.

I never said that they weren't. I was mainly speaking to the reader out there who doesn't know much about P90X and might think its some miracle pill that does the work for them. But my comments about eating better actually have lot to do with P90X since the program comes with a nutrition guide and stresses it constantly throughout. These things are important to mention because not a lot of people really understand that eating better is really the key to losing weight and keeping it off.

But yes, I agree with everyone else who said P90X is no different than any other workout program. Again, I never said that it was. P90X is just old school workouts (pullups, pushups, etc, with some surprises mixed in). But that comment about sleep specifically was really speaking about the lifestyle change one must make in order to make their desired physical changes. Sleeping better is one of them. It's important to mention because I'm not sure everyone out there is getting enough sleep in their lives. Some people have to make a lot of sacrifices to be in bed by 11 pm pretty much every night. Everything else though, we agree. Actually we agreed the whole time, but I'm just clarifying my statements.

Constantine

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I can vouch for P90X since I am currently a few weeks into the program.

My brother owns and runs his own personal training studio in Bowling Green Kentucky, unfortunately I live about two and a half hours away from him. We talk all the time about nutrition, exercise, and how the body works. P90X is a workout regime, just as there are 100's out there. Will P90X give you any advantages or any miracles over other workouts? No it won't it's simply a way to work and discipline your body.

I chose P90X because of it's strict guidelines, and specific regiment. Some people don't such a rigid structure, but I enjoy. I like the extra challenge and the discipline such a program requires. Anytime I would work out on my own, I'd flounder away a few weeks, see little progress, get fed up and go eat a pizza. Now I have it explicitly laid out what I need to do and how I need to do it. Like I said some people need that, others don't. I enjoy that part of it.

Another advantage that I personally enjoy about P90X is it has a finish line. The destination of "In 90 days you will be a more fit person" gives folks a goal that they can work towards and aspire too. I like having that date in the future and marking off the days as they go behind me knowing I'm one step closer to my goal. Again, some people may not need that, but having something tangible like a specific day for to work towards helps keep me motivated.

So P90X works for me, as with anything it may not work for everyone, but I am benefiting from the program, especially on the golf course.

most people don't realize the effort it takes to be jacked.

side note:

thats one reason i admire pro bodybuilders so much, they have a crazy amazing work ethic, and have a diet that takes dedication i can't imagine.

(and please no one say pro bodybuilders 'cheat' by taking steroids...would i take em? no. but when they take them, they work 100% harder.)

I don't use the gym for golf anymore. I was working with a trainer for a while, but after 8 months I found that my game, nor distance had made any gains. I did feel great though. Right now I'm more concerned with flexibility. Yoga is where its at right now.

That being said, I've met with a TPI (Titleist Performance Institute) Certified trainer. He had a lot of nice sounding ideas, and golf specific exercises to share. His studio is a bit too far from me, and frankly I didn't want to spend the money on trying it.

When I'm on the range for practice I'll try and focus on my working muscles and keep them flexed. If I feel them moving I focus my energy to them. Swinging a golf club 100+ times within an hour's time has to have some kind of benefit.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Strengthen your core and lower back. Also yoga is really good for golf. 4 main types of lifting are squat, bench, deadlift and shoulder press. I work out 4 days a week and try to fit in Yoga and some cardio on the other days. I also stretch every day.

Mon - Chest, Biceps and abs
Tues - Quads, Hamstrings and 30 min of cardio
Weds - Yoga
Thurs - Shoulders, Triceps and 18 holes
Fri - Back, calves and abs
Sat - 18 holes
Sun - Yoga

PM Me if your interested and I can send you my full workout.

In My Bag:

Driver:
Hybrid:
Irons: Putter:

Strengthen your core and lower back. Also yoga is really good for golf. 4 main types of lifting are squat, bench, deadlift and shoulder press. I work out 4 days a week and try to fit in Yoga and some cardio on the other days. I also stretch every day.

fairly similar to my workout schedule (when i worked out)

I don't goto the gym regularly like i used to but back then, my schedule went something like this: Mon - chest, triceps, abs Tuesday - Back, Biceps Wed - Legs and some lower back Thurs - Break Friday - shoulders and heavy abs. sprinkle in some cardio 2x a week and that was my workout. I used to be really skinny back in college, 5'10" and 150 lbs. I put on some meat through this workout routine with a strict diet of 3500 or so calories, 200g protein, 150-200g carbs, etc. Lots of lean chicken breast, spinach, mixed greens, tuna, turkey, brown rice, potatos, etc. Plenty of sleep and rest and I cycled through creatine 2 months off and on. I was sitting comfortably at 170 lbs...and then i got fat. and now i'm just 200 lbs of lump.

DST Tour 9.5 Diamana Whiteboard
909F3 15* 3 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
909F3 18* 5 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
'09 X-Forged 3-PW Project-X 6.0 Flighted
CG15 56* X-Tour 60* Abaco

As a amature trainer I would recommend Stretch before and after a round. For an actual workout, focus on abdominal and oblique muscles to stabalize your swing and protect your back, and your wrist and legs to add speed and power to your swing. Secondairy muscles should be your back, arms and shoulders.

If you are not doing yoga, look into it. I started last summer and currently have a 30 min routine I do 4-5 days a week. I have lower back issues and this has probably made the most difference. I add a few light weights 3 days a week focusing on arms, chest and shoulders. Try and walk 18 2-3 times a week in the summer and walk 4-5 miles a day on non golfing days. Since starting this routine last summer, I have improved my flexibility, strength and endurance. Walking and carrying my bag for 18 is no longer a problem and I dont need 600mg of Advil after a round anymore.

In my Bagboy cart bag:
Driver: TM R11s 10.5 R-flex 3W: TM 09 Burner 3H: TM 09 Burner Irons: TM Tour Burner 4-PW r-flex
Wedges: Wilson TW9 GW, Ping Eye 2+ SW, Vokey SM 58.08      Putter:TM Rossa Spider Ball: TM TP/Red LDP, TF Gamer v2   Range Finder: GX-I

Yoga is a big part of the P90X program. It's by far the hardest segment I have all week.

I have had the P90x collection since it first came out. I am going to start doing the Yoga DVD a few times a week next week. I have already started running with my wife. I am going to leave it at that for a little while. I have lifted my whole life and just got burnt out on it. I was counting my macros on Fitday, following a strict caloric program, taking my body temp every day, measuring every 2 weeks, measuring all of my foods, and measuring all of my supplements (I take powders instead of pills for everything I can) and it just gets old.

Whoever said that they respect bodybuilders because of how strict they are and their work ethic is right on. You can't get that physique without sacrificing, contrary to what MANY people think.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

For golf, explosion type exercises work best. It defiantly helps. You retain your energy levels much longer. So your swing at the beginning, is the same at the end.

Check out Titleist Performance Institute. Look for training material on Power. Power = { strength + speed + proper motion } for a particular athletic move, in our case the golf swing. TPI trainers say that golfers who work out may have strength, but sometimes lack power without specific workouts:

http://www.mytpi.com/mytpi05/fitness/

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Check out Titleist Performance Institute. Look for training material on Power. Power = { strength + speed + proper motion } for a particular athletic move, in our case the golf swing. TPI trainers say that golfers who work out may have strength, but sometimes lack power without specific workouts:

VERY good website!!!

Bryan A

stretching and keeping the muscles loose has helped my back stay loose during the round. I try to run for 30 minutes 4 times a week on soft surfaces. I use light weights to tone the muscles along with pilaties and push ups.

You definitely feel the difference when you work out, it hads strength, endurance and flexibility to your golf game.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

I have had the P90x collection since it first came out. I am going to start doing the Yoga DVD a few times a week next week. I have already started running with my wife. I am going to leave it at that for a little while. I have lifted my whole life and just got burnt out on it. I was counting my macros on Fitday, following a strict caloric program, taking my body temp every day, measuring every 2 weeks, measuring all of my foods, and measuring all of my supplements (I take powders instead of pills for everything I can) and it just gets old.

Have you tried looking at the Lean cycle? That's what I'm doing, after this 90 is up I'm going to take two weeks off and then do classic.

Lean is a lot of Cardio/Core with only two days of weight training, Arms/Shoulders and Legs/Back

Have you tried looking at the Lean cycle? That's what I'm doing, after this 90 is up I'm going to take two weeks off and then do classic.

You know, I don't think I have. I had a different mindset when I first bought it. I may get it out tonight and check it out. I sold all of my dumbbells because I joined a gym.

Bryan A

Lots of good suggestions and I especially agree with the talk about P90X for the all around golf game. INSANITY is another beachbody workout that I've been doing for 20 weeks now and it is awesome if you want the long and lean yet powerful look!

Note: This thread is 4980 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!