IGNORED

Tough Bunker Shots

Note: This thread is 4994 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Left a ball buried on side wall of a deep bunker. The bunker wall was at a steep angle so there was so way for me to stand in the bunker without sliding down it and risking the ball moving in the process. If I stood on the grass I had to lean over the bunker and swing the club so that the head was closer to my body than my hands. The bunker design wouldn't allow me a close to normal stance without catching the rim of the bunker with the club shaft before impact and hit it in the direction I needed to. The only other option I thought I had was to take a normal stance in the bunker and play the ball out of the bunker in the opposite direction from the green into deep rough.

I wasn't worried too much about it at the time, but was curious how you guys approach these types of shots. Is it just improvising to get a shot off no matter how contorted your stance is, take the easy shot into the rough or are there other "tricks" I should learn?

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

when I get faced with a weird lie in a bunker...I j ust go into a survival mindset where all I'm trying to do is move my ball in any way so that the next stroke can be made normally. The only thing I want to avoid is putting myself in another weird spot by not thinking things through properly. If it means I have to swing a club like a bat just to be able to make contact and move the ball, I will. if i have to use my putter to pop the ball just a bit so the ball will free itself, I will....

My philosophy on golf "We're not doing rocket science, here."

Been there, done that more than a few times.

I'd try my best to take some sort of a stable stance; a stance that I can swing my arms freely. If that means I have to aim away from the green or the flag, be it. The most important thing is to dig it out.

I agree with this statement. Get that baby out, even if you have to keep it in the bunker but at least give yourself a normal sand shot.

Whats in my bag?

r7 irons
r7 driver - 10.5
22 degree hybrid rescue Vokey 60 degree wedge 56 degree sand wedgeBalls are Penta's and some crappy old knockoff putter no one has heard of.

I agree with this statement. Get that baby out, even if you have to keep it in the bunker but at least give yourself a normal sand shot.

X2 and X2. Just make sure the next shot, gets you on the green or a chance to do so.

I'm curious, were you greenside? Or were you 150 yards away next to the fairway? I think where you're at on a hole is going to determine what kind of shot you play. I think if you're close enough, some guys would just try to blast it on the green. If I'm far enough away, I'm ONLY thinking about getting a good lie for my next shot.

would a blade putter if you angled it so that the toe was aimed at the ball in the side hill sand worked? I once heard that Chi Chi or Gary Player lost a tournament with the same lie in the sand and he went back to practice the shot until he was able to get out and it called for the putter shot.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

I was greenside, ball landed in the back wall of a bunker that was protecting the right side of the green. I'm left handed, which would require I stand on the slope of the bunker if I hit towards the green. Only shots I had with a decent stance were to hit towards a bunker protecting the right rear of the green or the opposite direction from the green which was heavy rough.

Joe Paradiso

would a blade putter if you angled it so that the toe was aimed at the ball in the side hill sand worked? I once heard that Chi Chi or Gary Player lost a tournament with the same lie in the sand and he went back to practice the shot until he was able to get out and it called for the putter shot.

1) I have a mallet putter. 2) I'm not that creative to even think of using a putter in that situation even if I had a blade putter.

Joe Paradiso

sometimes you just aren't going to have a decent stance....it is a hazard afterall. Hitting a shot from an ackward stance is part of bunker creativity from time to time.

My philosophy on golf "We're not doing rocket science, here."

with the ball that close to the face, you can pretty much hit it as hard as you like and it will only go upwards - the rim stops it going too far forward

If in doubt, hit the sand hard and follow through with firm wrists, readied for the pain you will endure!

Then buy a new wedge, as the other one will be all bent and twisted.

Taylormade RBZ 10.5 driver, Taylormade Burner 2.0 15 deg 3 wood, Mizuno JPX800 19deg hybrid, Taylormade Burner 2.0 4-PW, Titleist Vokey 52,56,60 rusty wedges, Odyssey White Ice #7 360gm tour weight, Bridgestone B330S

Instead of playing directly backwards, you could have played so that you were standing uphill and hit the ball out to the side of the bunker.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Instead of playing directly backwards, you could have played so that you were standing uphill and hit the ball out to the side of the bunker.

I could have, but given my skill level I would have risked hitting it right into the back side bunker or into heavy rough. I realize there is no ideal shot here, just wondered how you lower handicap guys handle these situations. Thanks to all who replied.

Joe Paradiso

I was greenside, ball landed in the back wall of a bunker that was protecting the right side of the green. I'm left handed, which would require I stand on the slope of the bunker if I hit towards the green. Only shots I had with a decent stance were to hit towards a bunker protecting the right rear of the green or the opposite direction from the green which was heavy rough.

Yeah, that just sounds dam tough. I'm not sure what I would have chosen. . .

Note: This thread is 4994 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!