IGNORED

Quickie Pitching Video - Golf Pitch Shot Technique

iacas
Note: This thread is 1324 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

And what did you think? They have wrist hinge.

Let's be sure we are both talking the impact position and just after...there is a wrist breakdown in the video .Here is Trevino on it...the chip & pitch techniques being the same.

"There is no reason to listen to me. I am merely voicing my opinion on certain aspects of golf mechanics that I have experimented with along with others I have read about and watched." - freedrop, on himself [Source]

User was banned February 22, 2014 for multiple violations.

I was talking about the shot as a whole not just impact. I like this technique better than Trevino's technique. The way Trevino is teaching it you don't utilize the bounce. The technique here allows you to essentially hit behind the ball and still get a very good result.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I was talking about the shot as a whole not just impact. I like this technique better than Trevino's technique. The way Trevino is teaching it you don't utilize the bounce. The technique here allows you to essentially hit behind the ball and still get a very good result.

OK...but I will say the guys in the video are working off a fluffy lie,if that was a tighter lie I think their technique would have trouble.In one of the shots I thought the guy hit a fat shot but the club managed to get under the ball because of the cushion he had,it would have be a skulled shot on a tighter lie.

The flippy wrist is a major problem in full or partial shots for non-pros.

"There is no reason to listen to me. I am merely voicing my opinion on certain aspects of golf mechanics that I have experimented with along with others I have read about and watched." - freedrop, on himself [Source]

OK...but I will say the guys in the video are working off a fluffy lie,if that was a tighter lie I think their technique would have trouble.In one of the shots I thought the guy hit a fat shot but the club managed to get under the ball because of the cushion he had,it would have be a skulled shot on a tighter lie.

I'm not much for saying what is a "right" or "wrong" way to hit a shot. Only speaking of my shots, I agree with some things you are saying. I try to not let my left wrist cup at any time before or after impact and I don't intentionally hinge my wrists at all in the back swing. Even with those intentions both still happen occasionally to differing degrees depending on exactly what I am trying to do with the ball.

Where I disagree with you (the bolded part) is that when I am utilizing the bounce (which I do whenever the lie allows it) the tighter the lie the better the technique works, even all the way down to hard pan clay. Where utilizing the bounce doesn't work as well is in rough, against the grain, and very soft and wet conditions.

Reading the lie and playing the most high percentage shot from each lie is as important as technique.

Your completely wrong about the tight lies. I use this technique off any lie inside of 50 yards. Honestly you have probably never heard of this shot and have no idea how proficient it is. I used to use the Trevino technique until learned this one. The technique here is a iPhone compared to a rotary phone (Trevino's being the rotary).

Actually it provides the most forgiveness on tighter lies, because you are using the bounce.  The guys in the video taught me the technique one of the things we did was to hit two balls with one swing about 3 inches apart on a fairly tight lie.  It makes it that much easier, the club slides along the ground.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Ok all ,but I think you'll find all the teaching vids really shy away from any short game wristy action.That left wrist wanting to cup at impact is the big hurdle that separates the Ams from Pros.

Well freedrop I think you'll find that you couldn't be more wrong. Which is ok theres nothing wrong with not knowing what your talking about I'm wrong all the time.

Well freedrop I think you'll find that you couldn't be more wrong. Which is ok theres nothing wrong with not knowing what your talking about I'm wrong all the time.

Jakester....you'll see TW keeping that left wrist flat and firm on through impact.

Its firm at impact, but the clubhead does pass the hands. Tiger is NOT HOLDING. He is not dragging his left hand towards the target through impact. He is letting the club glide through the ball.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Im not talking about impact sir. Im saying the technique as a whole ia better than the hinge and hold that phil or lee teach. PPhil doesn't even use hinge and hold all the time.

Its firm at impact, but the clubhead does pass the hands. Tiger is NOT HOLDING. He is not dragging his left hand towards the target through impact. He is letting the club glide through the ball.

At the 16 sec mark you can see the ball is well on it's way and the club head is passing the hands (which it has to do at some point) ,but the important left wrist has not flipped or cupped,it is flat and firm.The wrist position is the key .

Im not talking about impact sir. Im saying the technique as a whole ia better than the hinge and hold that phil or lee teach. PPhil doesn't even use hinge and hold all the time.

Jakester...impact is where it's at,that is what we are most interested,the moment of truth.

Jakester...impact is where it's at,that is what we are most interested,the moment of truth.

What exactly are you arguing here?  Phil hinges in the video and then releases the hinge to an in-line impact just like in the video on the first page.  There is nothing being taught here about flipping at impact.  To hit a softer higher shot you can allow for more release though and less shaft lean.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

So do you live in Denver? Let me try and explain this a different way. If you have ever skipped stones then you will (should understand this. If you try to throw the stone at lets say a 30 degree angle you can get them to skip but maybe only one out of five. Now try throwing them at a 5 degree angle. What happens is you can be leas exact on when the stone hits the water. This style of pitching is the 5 degree way. Your moment of impact is basically ar lot bbigger. You can hit a few inches behind the ball and the club glides along the ground.

What exactly are you arguing here?  Phil hinges in the video and then releases the hinge to an in-line impact just like in the video on the first page.  There is nothing being taught here about flipping at impact.  To hit a softer higher shot you can allow for more release though and less shaft lean.

I'm not arguing anything, just saying that the pros left wrist at impact and beyond is flat and firm which is not the case in the OP's video suggesting a flipping action.

Even in a Phil flop shot vid he refers to the flat wrist rather than a flippy one which will thin the shot.I won't post that vid since I sense this observation I am making is not very popular.

Note: This thread is 1324 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!