IGNORED

Quickie Pitching Video - Golf Pitch Shot Technique

iacas
Note: This thread is 1350 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The only difference is the chip is low and running while the pitch is airbourne.No flip needed to get the ball in the air.

Wrong, a chip is a shot were the bounce is not utilized. A can hit a high chip, low chip, medium chip. I can hit chips that run out or land soft. I can do the same with pitches, just depends if you are using bounce or not.

I personally feel it is easier to control club head speed (be more consistent) if you take the wrists out of the short game equation and use just the arms and body.Probably even more true when under pressure.

I could understand this if a person has the yips, then adding a restrictive movement is fine.

What Erik and this thread is teaching isn't really a swing that uses the wrists. Its a swing that allows the clubhead's momentum to carry through the ball in a way that utilizes the bounce of the club. The bounce on the clubhead allows for maximum error since it allows the clubhead to glide even if the person happens to hit behind the ball. That is why the pitching video shows almost a float load were the hands start down before the clubhead does. This allows the clubhead to drop down in a smooth athletic motion. Really this method of pitching is so much easier than using just the body and arms in a rigid method because it takes manipulating the clubhead out of the equation.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Ok @David in FL you are doing great work here and if your pitching works that is all that matters flip or not. Maybe you and the board can make one more trip to the driveway and take a coat hanger with you.

WHAT FLIP? Beyond that though, remember, this whole conversation is in response to your contention that the pitching technique that @iacas posted wasn't going to be useful off of a tight lie. Unless you don't think that plywood in the driveway makes for a tight lie, you have to admit that your premise was wrong..... And FWIW, I'd love to hear your thoughts, and see your examples and demonstrations (as I've provided), rather than every silly Youtube video that you can find. You're a smart guy and likely more knowledgeable than I am. Let's hear from you . :beer:

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

• Administrator
I personally feel it is easier to control club head speed (be more consistent) if you take the wrists out of the short game equation and use just the arms and body.Probably even more true when under pressure.

In addition to what @saevel25 said above, taking the wrists out of the short game is something you see amongst the worst players, particularly when using speed (as you do on a pitch). Even the best putters use their wrists in their putting strokes. That's not to say they are "wristy" strokes, but they most definitely are not stiff-wristed.

A stiff-wristed stroke lacks touch, it lacks feel. A stiff-wristed stroke does not allow room for the micro-adjustments that the best players are capable of making mid-stroke. It requires far more body speed than a stroke with wrists - requiring a longer backstroke.

A stroke that forces the hands to stay ahead of the clubhead fails to expose the bounce, leading to a reduced margin of error.

And finally, it has trouble producing higher, softer shots, because if you're focusing so much on keeping the wrists leading, you'll deliver the clubface with less dynamic loft than is possible if you allow the clubhead to pass the hands very quickly after impact.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Essentially we all agree that flipping is a problem and not desired with full shots,chip shots or putting.Somehow pitching is getting a pass with most of you.If you are making good pitches,great,but if not then look into a possible flip issue.

"There is no reason to listen to me. I am merely voicing my opinion on certain aspects of golf mechanics that I have experimented with along with others I have read about and watched." - freedrop, on himself [Source]

User was banned February 22, 2014 for multiple violations.

Essentially we all agree that flipping is a problem and not desired with full shots,chip shots or putting.Somehow pitching is getting a pass with most of you.If you are making good pitches,great,but if not then look into a possible flip issue.

I would be curious to see a video of you hitting high pitches and flops, I have no doubts that you can do it, just curious to see your body and wrist action compared to David's.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Ha ha you're a riot. Just say I'm wrong everyone else is right. Really its ok to be completely full of shit. Im an expert at it.

• Administrator
Essentially we all agree that flipping is a problem and not desired with full shots,chip shots or putting. Somehow pitching is getting a pass with most of you.

That depends on what you mean by flipping. I'd define flipping as the club shaft lining up with the lead shoulder prior to impact. That isn't the case in the pitching technique in this thread.

If you mean extension of the lead wrist in the follow-through, having started prior to impact, then I think you'll find that the vast majority of PGA Tour players "flip" on their full shots, chip shots, and putting strokes. Wrist graphs reveal this to be the case, and it is undeniable.

But I don't choose to use the second definition of "flipping." I choose the former.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I would be curious to see a video of you hitting high pitches and flops, I have no doubts that you can do it, just curious to see your body and wrist action compared to David's.

Ernest....you and everyone else  make this whole discussion sound as if what I am saying isn't supported by top names in golf.

"There is no reason to listen to me. I am merely voicing my opinion on certain aspects of golf mechanics that I have experimented with along with others I have read about and watched." - freedrop, on himself [Source]

Ernest....you and everyone else  make this whole discussion sound as if what I am saying isn't supported by top names in golf.

A lot of the "top names" in golf are MUCH better at hitting fantastic golf shots than they are at "explaining how" they hit these shots. Usually they explain what they feel they are doing but high speed video more often than not shows that in reality they are doing something else entirely.

Stick around and keep an open mind, you might be very surprised at what there is to learn on this site.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Do you Consider Tiger Woods one of the top names in golf?[quote name="freedrop" url="/t/39411/quickie-pitching-video-golf-pitch-shot-technique/288#post_948372"]Ernest....you and everyone else  make this whole discussion sound as if what I am saying isn't supported by top names in golf. [/quote] So what is he doing here?-OHMYGOD HE IS FLIPPING. [quote name="iacas" url="/t/39411/quickie-pitching-video-golf-pitch-shot-technique/234#post_947902"]From the video I posted a page or two ago: [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/91241/] [/URL][/quote]

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

So you will go with what some of those people are saying, rather than what all the pictures we have attached actually show they are doing?

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Here's a picture of me standing on my feet.

Now, do you believe what I say I'm doing or what the picture shows I am doing? Think about it before you answer.

It's that simple.

I'm not trying to be an ass, but it really is that simple.

Edit* That's not really me, just a google search image so seeing as it isn't even me let's go with this one instead:

Betcha I have your undivided attention now!

:-P

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Here's a picture of me standing on my feet.

Now, do you believe what I say I'm doing or what the picture shows I am doing? Think about it before you answer.

It's that simple.

I'm not trying to be an ass, but it really is that simple.

Edit* That's not really me, just a google search image so seeing as it isn't even me let's go with this one instead:

Betcha I have your undivided attention now!

Damn, I was going to be seriously impressed.

Attention you have gotten!!! :-D

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Do you Consider Tiger Woods one of the top names in golf?

So what is he doing here?-OHMYGOD HE IS FLIPPING.

We are in danger of analyzing every pitch ever made.Tiger is trying to make a high soft shot with an open face,his left wrist would have been cupped  as usual at address and he held that angle through the shot because of the shot required.He did not let the left wrist break down,it was already pre-cupped and maintained.

We are in danger of analyzing every pitch ever made.Tiger is trying to make a high soft shot with an open face,his left wrist would have been cupped  as usual at address and he held that angle through the shot because of the shot required.He did not let the left wrist break down,it was already pre-cupped and maintained.

Oh c'mon now @freedrop , you don't have to go down with the ship! Pick any high speed vid of a PGA pro hitting soft pitches and post it up, no cherry picking just some randomly chosen vids and we'll find the same thing with occassional exceptions for very specific shots. The image above taken from a Tiger pitch is very much the rule and not the exception, you have it backwards my friend.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Oh c'mon now @freedrop, you don't have to go down with the ship! Pick any high speed vid of a PGA pro hitting soft pitches and post it up, no cherry picking just some randomly chosen vids and we'll find the same thing with occassional exceptions for very specific shots. The image above taken from a Tiger pitch is very much the rule and not the exception, you have it backwards my friend.

Sorry Ernest...but I am very confident that is what we are seeing with TW.

Sorry Ernest...but I am very confident that is what we are seeing with TW.

Okey Dokey.

Here's my parting comment. A beautiful women standing on her feet.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

• Administrator

Apologies in advance for the bluntness of this, but your obtusity is getting old.

You are wrong. His wrist angles were not "maintained."

Additionally, the lead wrist angle is not maintained in in the full swings of PGA Tour players. We have accurate measurements that show this kind of thing. It's proven fact. The lead wrist angle is in fact in the process of extending throughout much of the downswing and then into the follow-through. Somewhat related:

Oh c'mon now @freedrop, you don't have to go down with the ship! Pick any high speed vid of a PGA pro hitting soft pitches and post it up, no cherry picking just some randomly chosen vids and we'll find the same thing with occassional exceptions for very specific shots. The image above taken from a Tiger pitch is very much the rule and not the exception, you have it backwards my friend.

Backwards indeed.

Note: This thread is 1350 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!