IGNORED

Quickie Pitching Video - Golf Pitch Shot Technique

iacas
Note: This thread is 1345 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Thanks again. My gap wedge and pitching wedge (Wilson di11) apparently have very low bounce (3 degrees). Could this cause problems given that this method of pitching revolves around using the bounce that a club has?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks again. My gap wedge and pitching wedge (Wilson di11) apparently have very low bounce (3 degrees). Could this cause problems given that this method of pitching revolves around using the bounce that a club has?

I don't think so.  You can use this technique to pitch with a 4 iron and that has low bounce.  More bounce gives you more forgiveness, but I wouldn't go selling your wedges just yet.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

As @boogielicious said it's not 100% necessary but with only 3 degrees of bounce you'll have to be more precise.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

• 1 month later...

Could anyone provide some insight into how different sole grinds play into this type of pitching motion and what sort of effects these grinds have (if any) on the bounce of the club in general?  Specifically I'm looking at the different grinds offered in the new vokey wedges but it seems like a lot of companies offer similar options on their wedges now.  https://www.vokey.com/wedge-selection/wedge-selection-guide.aspx

For reference, I have an F grind 54.14 at the moment which I picked because it had the most bounce available relative to the other sole grinds.  F grind description:  " Full sole with moderate camber and small trailing edge ribbon."

Could anyone provide some insight into how different sole grinds play into this type of pitching motion and what sort of effects these grinds have (if any) on the bounce of the club in general?  Specifically I'm looking at the different grinds offered in the new vokey wedges but it seems like a lot of companies offer similar options on their wedges now.  https://www.vokey.com/wedge-selection/wedge-selection-guide.aspx

For reference, I have an F grind 54.14 at the moment which I picked because it had the most bounce available relative to the other sole grinds.  F grind description:  "Full sole with moderate camber and small trailing edge ribbon."

F grind is a good one because the leading edge sits pretty flush with the ground but it still has a good amount of bounce/camber. This pitching method can work with a variety of sole grinds although I wouldn't go with a low bounce wedge because it kinda defeats the purpose.

Mike McLoughlin

• 3 weeks later...

Worked on my pitching tonight. At the end I decided to have a bit of fun. I took my standard pitching set up and then looked down my target line. From there I hit pitch shots without looking at the ball. I hit 10 pitch shots to with in 5 feet of each other.

Really cool how you don't really need to see the ball to hit a good pitch shot. If you have good technique you can just pivot and the club just does the work.

I'll bring my video camera next time and shoot this. Just wondering if this might be a halfway decent drill to get golfers to just instinctively hit the shot rather than over think the shot.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Guys, I just want to thank you for this incredible method. At first I couldn't pitch at all, but once I run into this method I become very good at it, to the point that I amaze my playing partners with my smooth looking pitches! At least one part of the game that goes well.... now lets learn how to hit those long clubs straight so I don't need this technique anymore :-P

Awesome technique. Thought I would just try it for a goof, and it's become a staple. Thanks!

I've found this technique works best for me when my wedge sits a little bit toe-down, heel-up. Anybody else play these shots with the club a bit more vertical than usual? I assume it has something to do with the bounce on my wedges.

I've found this technique works best for me when my wedge sits a little bit toe-down, heel-up. Anybody else play these shots with the club a bit more vertical than usual? I assume it has something to do with the bounce on my wedges.

I do a little (not to the extent that the heel is off the ground) and it does make sense. If the handle is low, it'll encourage more upward hinging of the wrists, which goes against the "under-plane" loading the clubhead.

Mike McLoughlin

• 2 weeks later...

Worked on my pitching this afternoon and almost sweated to death.

Just wanted to update how the pitching technique was working for me. It's getting much better. Primary reason is I am getting bored just pitching around the green so I am making up some games. This evening I tried to fly the ball into the hole. This had some interesting effects on my pitching. First I found I can have tremendous distance control when I am focusing on just hitting a 15.9 square inch circle.  I was a good 15 yards away from the pin and the balls were landing pin high majority of the time, with +/- 1 yard left or right of the pin. Second, it took my mind off technique and focus on target.

If you have a good practice green area, try this out.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

That's really cool to watch for me bc this is how I've always chipped and it's always been the most naturally strong aspect of my game. I've never had a problem with chunking and I always get really nice little rainbows onto the green. But all the videos I watch basically tell me that what I've been doing is wrong and thus my chipping has been worse lately trying to do the hands forward thing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

@iacas , @mvmac , is this a good example?

Of a lower pitch, yes. Some shaft lean, some arm extension, but still a good pivot and soft arms and wrists.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Of a lower pitch, yes. Some shaft lean, some arm extension, but still a good pivot and soft arms and wrists.

Right, definitely a lower pitch. Love the turning rates through the shot.

• Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

Question on video of pitching, Shane Lowery?

Noticed a narrow stance, knees slightly flexed and lower body has very little rotation.

Is the body setup slightly open to target line?

Guessing he is hitting shots around 50 - 90 yard range?

Club Rat

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Here's a dtl-ish view of Lowery for completion's sake:

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Note: This thread is 1345 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!