IGNORED

Quickie Pitching Video - Golf Pitch Shot Technique

iacas
Note: This thread is 1346 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What sort of yardage is this being employed from? When would you abandon this for a more fuller-esque swing?

I can use a pitching technique probably to about 60-70 yards.

I found I prefer the pitching technique over a distance wedge technique from about 50 yards and in, unless I need to hit a really low-ish type shot. Even then I can hit a lower pitch anyways.

For me that is 2/3rd backswing length feel to full swing is normal swing mechanics.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Rather than read through 35 pages to see if this was addressed.....Do you get any backspin using this technique?  I have always had trouble getting backspin out of short pitches or chips.

In my bag: Cobra Bio Cell 10.5º driver ;  Cobra Bio Cell 3w;  Mizuno MP H4 3 - PW;  Mizuno MP T4 52º GW, 56º SW, 60º LW
Favorite ball Titleist Pro-V
One HIO....LUCK.

What sort of yardage is this being employed from? When would you abandon this for a more fuller-esque swing?

Most of the pitch mechanics are going to be used from 40-50 yards and in. Once you start getting to 70, 80, 90+ yards you have to start using more full swing mechanics.

Rather than read through 35 pages to see if this was addressed.....Do you get any backspin using this technique?  I have always had trouble getting backspin out of short pitches or chips.

Yes shots come out medium/high and soft, like the shot Harris English hits in the video above.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Quote:

Yes shots come out medium/high and soft, like the shot Harris English hits in the video above.

The reason I ask is because I thought I was doing exactly like described when I had a high short shot, like to clear a bunker with a short-side pin.  But even if I seem to execute it perfectly, I roll out quite a ways with no apparent spin.  I would equate it to a flop shot, am I using too much wrist?

In my bag: Cobra Bio Cell 10.5º driver ;  Cobra Bio Cell 3w;  Mizuno MP H4 3 - PW;  Mizuno MP T4 52º GW, 56º SW, 60º LW
One HIO....LUCK.

The reason I ask is because I thought I was doing exactly like described when I had a high short shot, like to clear a bunker with a short-side pin.  But even if I seem to execute it perfectly, I roll out quite a ways with no apparent spin.  I would equate it to a flop shot, am I using too much wrist?

Can't say without seeing a video.

Make sure you're using speed and "thumping" the ground.

Mike McLoughlin

One last question....I noted that Erik used a 54º  SW. I currently have been chipping with my 52º/7º gap wedge and pitching with my 60º/5º lob wedge.  My SW is 56º/10º.  Would you have a suggestion as to which would be best for this kind of pitch shot?

Thanks

One HIO....LUCK.

A flop shot should land softly with very roll. Unless you are pitching to a downslope, which you can get when you pitch over a bunker.

Also, you could be not hitting as high as you think you are. Your high, might be actually medium height. This might be the reason you are confused since you are expecting little roll out, but getting a lot.

One last question....I noted that Eric used a 54º  SW. I currently have been chipping with my 52º/7º gap wedge and pitching with my 60º/5º lob wedge.  My SW is 56º/10º.  Would you have a suggestion as to which would be best for this kind of pitch shot?

Thanks

Depends on the wedge, and how they are designed. I particularly don't pitch with my 52 degree wedge because it just feels like a club more suited for normal shots. I tend to pitch with my SW and LW. I also can go high and low with both. I would say 90% of the time I am pitching with my SW.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

A flop shot should land softly with very roll. Unless you are pitching to a downslope, which you can get when you pitch over a bunker.

Also, you could be not hitting as high as you think you are. Your high, might be actually medium height. This might be the reason you are confused since you are expecting little roll out, but getting a lot.

Depends on the wedge, and how they are designed. I particularly don't pitch with my 52 degree wedge because it just feels like a club more suited for normal shots. I tend to pitch with my SW and LW. I also can go high and low with both. I would say 90% of the time I am pitching with my SW.

Thanks for the response.  Maybe a better way to explain my shot is not as being  high, but as a steep arc.  I open the clubface substantially, use the painting brush stroke Erik described, sweeping beneath the ball, but my ball does roll out quite a bit even on a flat green (home course, so I know the slopes fairly well).  The ball lands softly, but does not check up.

I am going to experiment with it and also try going to my SW as you suggest for pitching/chipping in most cases.  What degree and bounce is your SW?

One HIO....LUCK.

One last question....I noted that Eric used a 54º  SW. I currently have been chipping with my 52º/7º gap wedge and pitching with my 60º/5º lob wedge.  My SW is 56º/10º.  Would you have a suggestion as to which would be best for this kind of pitch shot?

Thanks

You can use these mechanics for all the clubs you mentioned. Most of my pitches are hit with my 58. When I have a long bunker shot or a shot where I want the ball to carry and then roll a bit, I'll use my 52 (sometimes even my PW).

Mike McLoughlin

Thanks for the response.  Maybe a better way to explain my shot is not as being  high, but as a steep arc.  I open the clubface substantially, use the painting brush stroke Erik described, sweeping beneath the ball, but my ball does roll out quite a bit even on a flat green (home course, so I know the slopes fairly well).  The ball lands softly, but does not check up.

I am going to experiment with it and also try going to my SW as you suggest for pitching/chipping in most cases.  What degree and bounce is your SW?

The primary reason is you will not get a lot of spin with that much loft. Maximum spin happens around 45 degrees or so. After that a lot of energy is wasted because the blow is so glancing. I've hit pitch shots around the green where I can see the label on the ball rotate around slowly.

I would say it's mostly your greens. I think they might be firm, fast with a lot of slope. Still, short pitch shots with a lot of loft will come out soft and roll out. Still it's very hard to get check on the ball from anything inside of 20 yards. There isn't just enough clubhead speed to get the spin rate up.

56 degrees with 16 degrees of bounce.

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Aaaaahhhhh.....then what I need to work on is distance control with LESS loft, don't open the face as much.  Back to the pitching green.  Thank you all for the responses.

One HIO....LUCK.

Aaaaahhhhh.....then what I need to work on is distance control with LESS loft, don't open the face as much.  Back to the pitching green.  Thank you all for the responses.

Yeah don't open the face, just have very little or no shaft lean at address (stock pitch).

Mike McLoughlin

Yeah don't open the face

I still forget this from time to time since I'm so used to opening the face with my old technique. Every once in a while I'll slide the clubhead right underneath a ball in the rough and it goes half the distance I expect it to.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

My biggest problem around the greens right now is that sometimes my chips grab and stop and sometimes they roll out. I wish I had a good practice chipping green around here....

I was watching the original pitching video earlier.

I like this part, and it's something I struggle with.

Quote:
Throughout the pitch shot, the elbows and arms stay soft and the elbows stay very close to the rib cage. There's no "hit" instinct - you simply let the motion of your body pivot through to power the shot.

I tried this at home and found when I kept my elbows against the rib cage more and kept the arms soft the only thing i could do was hinge and pivot. I was brushing the carpet very softly with a fluid motion.

I think this is something I see a lot on the course. I will watch a guy go up to a pitch shot and lock their arms and just try to not have any arm or wrist action at all.

Believe in the Zen form of pitching :D

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator

It probably won't check up very much. It's not a super high spin shot. The trajectory, done properly, is mostly what kills the speed.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

It's a handy technique if you have a short pitch and need to minimize the amount the ball rolls. I used it a couple of times today to save par. For me it takes a bit of practice to get a feel for distances using this technique.

Note: This thread is 1346 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!