iacas

Quickie Pitching Video - Golf Pitch Shot Technique

749 posts / 123624 viewsLast Reply

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

Things to take note of with Finau's shot

• How far the club moves/swings compared to his hands
  • Toe up at A2
  • Lots of speed (related to the first point)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 1/28/2019 at 11:43 AM, mvmac said:

Things to take note of with Finau's shot

• How far the club moves/swings compared to his hands
  • Toe up at A2
  • Lots of speed (related to the first point)

But he doesn't seem to have any body rotation, maybe I'm just not seeing it?

On 11/28/2018 at 11:42 PM, mvmac said:

Soft arms and importance of the body rotation on pitch shots.

Can't hit this shot with the leading edge 😀

Here's the YT vid top post creator, Bryan Pate, made on the soft right arm.

I'm trying to control my backswing length better on pitch shots. 

Is the feeling of the right wrist just hinging only a good feel for shorter pitches? I feel like I get into trouble because my normal backswing motion is to move the arms a lot. I tend to hinge late in my normal swing. I was using my TV as a mirror, and trying to mimic the the club movement to parallel as shown in the video of the OP. The only way I get there is by just hinging that right wrist.

It's not just a hinge, though, as you still want to roll to expose the bounce/glide.

But, yeah, it's more of a wrist thing than a "moving your whole arms thing."

I'm happy to have found this thread.  I had a guy show me this that worked with a very well known teacher here and he showed him this technique.  I never could get it down consistently and couldn't figure out why.  He didn't explain it like this though, so hopefully I can nail it now.

On this shot, or even a chip, when you put the weight forward, where on the foot should I feel that weight?  I've never known the proper way to have the weight forward.  Nothing feels right when I do it.  I feel like I'm way too stuck and can't pivot good.....I just feel way too uncomfortable when I try to put my weight forward.

Also, would float loading not encourage more forward shaft lean since the hands are moving forward on the downswing earlier than the club head?

On 9/10/2019 at 8:31 PM, checkerfred said:

Also, would float loading not encourage more forward shaft lean since the hands are moving forward on the downswing earlier than the club head?

Float loading adds more speed as the club has to catch up faster.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• 2019 TST Partners

PING Golf
    FlightScope Mevo
    • Only slight overrated. I don't think there is any more buzz around it than it did. It's not like they pulled in 'million dollah sponsors' or anything to begin with.   I don't blame Inkster and Co. for overselling it a bit. I would if I were her. But yeah, the whole things a bit meh.    
    • OK I have been stewing over this topic since I first saw it.  So here goes my "Etiquette Confession" This takes me way back, like way back.  Senior year in High School.  District Golf Tourney.  I was ranked #2 in the District which was pretty decent.  I was the 2nd Golfer off the tee and the entire District and all of the H.S Coaches are watching.  I was so nervous I literally almost peed myself. I wanted to go to Regionals so bad that year and then hopefully State. So I grab this chunk of wood attached to a steel rod with electricians tape for a grip and tee off (My Persimmon 3 Wood).  I played a fade back then and I had it down pat. Well not only did I pull the ball but I also hit a Draw while playing a Fade.  I crushed my tee shot.  It flew over the 18th fairway that ran parallel to the 1st fairway and sure enough it looks as if it goes O.B.   One of the guys from another H.S starts laughing loud and hard and loudly states "That's the longest Drive I have ever seen"  Let me add that the two of us had tied earlier in a duel match so we had a side bet going on this round. I pull out a provisional and I just drilled it the exact same way in the exact same spot.  Now my shoulders drop and I go to my bag for my 3rd golf ball. #3 - Identical to the first two, I am lost and have no idea what golf is any longer.  I go over to my bag and pick it up and the same guy asks if I am going to hit a 4th ball and I said "No, one of them will be in bounds" Ok I get to all 3 balls, they are all in the same spot so it was very easy to grab 2 of them.  The 3rd ball was a lousy 3 inches O.B.  I looked back at the entire group and they were all staring at me.  I hit that ball from where it laid, Out of Bounce!.   I never called it - it didn't matter at that point.  I finished 2nd to last in the entire field.  Even when I was in 7th Grad playing in this same District Tourney I never even came close to that. So there, my "Etiquette Confession" and I still am upset over that day. 🙂 
    • Sharper, better lit, night time golf swing vids coming soon?
    • Getting the best sand wedge for you involves more than just hunting for some all-occasions Magic Club. To be a decent bunker player, you need a SW with a head and grind which matches your normal turf conditions, and proper technique. Traditional wisdom (above) says that if you play out of very firm sand, you want a SW with lower bounce. This means the clubhead will cut through the sand and not get hung up in it. If you play in fluffy or powdery sand, you want a high bounce wedge that will glide through the powder without digging in too much. @iacas explains additional aspects of bounce in his forum Edel Wedges (or "Super Bounce") Then there is technique. For starters, access @mvmac's forum on How to Hit Sand/Bunker Shots.  An excellent video begins the thread. If you have a history of bad experiences in the sand, you take a bunker lesson. A good instructor could help you incorporate the basics into your swing.
    • I've been Playing Golf for: I played lots as a youngster (from age 4 to 15), but haven't ever taken golf seriously until this season. I had played ~6 rounds in the last 10 years. I am 30 years old My current handicap index or average score is: If the course is 6500 yards, I tend to play in the upper 90s. My typical ball flight is: either a high fade or a mid-high pull on bad contact. When I feel that I have hit it good, it goes straight The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: pulling mid to mid-short iron shots I've put off doing this because I was afraid of what I might see, and I generally like how I strike the ball when it is good. I finally busted out the tripod today to get some clips for review and to post here especially. I hope I can get some good info out of this and will hopefully be updating this regularly (maybe 1 time per week). Thanks, and Cheers! Videos:   
  • TST Blog Entries

• Blog Entries

• Today's Birthdays

1. Aj_ ninja
      Aj_ ninja
      (33 years old)
    2. Bay20
      Bay20
      (54 years old)
    3. boomer15
      boomer15
      (44 years old)
    4. ckeller52
      ckeller52
      (63 years old)
    5. Drmizz
      Drmizz
      (48 years old)

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...