IGNORED

Shorts On the PGA Tour (Updated 2013, 2016)

GreensDruid
Note: This thread is 1606 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

39 members have voted

1. 1. Should the PGA Tour allow its players to wear shorts during tournament rounds?

• Yes
    • Yes, with stipulations
    • No

I think the LPGA changed their dress code rule to draw more males and sponsors to watch and help their tour. and it's working. Do you really think they wear those short skirts (with shorts) on the street when they leave the course.

I would say so.

Bob

WITB

Driver:                         Ping I25 10.5 PWR65 stiff Flex

Fairway Woods:          Ping TiSi Tec 3, 5 and 7 graphite Cushin stiff flex

Irons:                         Pinhawk SL 5-PW 37.25 inches 

Wedges:                     Reid Lockhart 52 and 60 quad bounce, 56 dual bounce 

Putter:                        Boccieri Heavy Putter B3-M (250 gram back weight)

Ball:                            MG C4 / Wilson Duo

Grips:                         Winn DriTac midsize Blue

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If it's a 'sport', then everything should take a back seat to top performance.  So, the players should wear whatever helps them perform best.  To me, that equates to range of motion (obvious), comfort (it's a marathon not a sprint), minimal loose materials (distracting and can interfere), eliminate chafing (try walking 18 for four days in a row in sweltering weather), perhaps some built in extra support for knees and elbows and shoulders.  But each player might feel differently on how to achieve all that.  But it's seems like something is wrong when you see a 'pro' sweating it out in long pants and a collared polo and big ol' sweat stains running down their pants.  You know they'll need some Gold Bond the moment they get to their hotel.

However, if you go that route, we'll see some goofy outfits.  The entertainment factor would be cool though.  I imagine a full body suit of some kind of Dri-Fit to keep dri and cooler.  In cold weather then something that fits snug but it warm.  Maybe absorbent/wicking materials crotch, lower back and arms.  Not sure how to balance support for knee and elbows and shoulders that also helps free up range of motion.

But, what do I know? -  I see:

1 - World champion Tennis players wearing chains and bracelets (loose stuff flopping about - distraction)

2 - Any woman's sport - big freakin' ear rings.  Where would that EVER do anything but hurt a woman's performance.

3 - Speed snowboarders wearing loose and grungy outfits (drag - this one seems really dumb, but they are snowboarders)

Downhill skiers seems to have it figured out.  Cyclists wear the lightest and most streamlined stuff they can.  Lots of examples like that.

If it's not a 'sport', then I don't much care.

Bill - 

• Administrator
If it's a 'sport', then everything should take a back seat to top performance.

So basketball players should be able to play in boxer briefs, sneaks, and nothing else? Plus, you seem to be assuming that pants negatively affect performance.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

So basketball players should be able to play in boxer briefs, sneaks, and nothing else?

Plus, you seem to be assuming that pants negatively affect performance.

I think that would be up to the player if he thinks that combo is effective - Personally, I don't think that's the solution they would come up with for that sport.  And, maybe the coach might like all his players to wear the same color too.....But optimizing performance can take apparel into consideration.  I mean, the activity is about movement - it's silly to think apparel doesn't affect movement (maybe not like ski jumping or skydiving - high velocities affect drag, or archery where you might want to avoid a sleeve snagging the string, etc etc etc).

As for pants negatively affecting performance?  Again, the activity of golf is about purity of movement, the mental part has a huge component in comfort......  The only thing I can assume is that if you have 100 players, then there might be 100 different positions on that question.  I'm not assuming anything, I'm just saying that if they can perform better in pants, then pants.  If not?  then something else.  Payne Stewart might very well perform best in his outfit...for him.  Why not acknowledge that other players might do better in shorts, or (please no) a wrestling singlet (PLEASE no).

the simplest form of this is allowed:  cold day?  sweater:   hot day?  polo   extend the thought to the extreme and you get what a lot of other sports already have.

Hell - Swimming actually evolved from naked, to suits, to tight suits, to speedos, now it's a low CoeF of friction body suit.....crazy stuff.

Bill - 

I agree with your sentiments.  There are several instances in years past of health issues arising to heat exhaustion and/or stroke....Ken Venturi comes to mind.     As far as goofy outfits....I like the personality to show through....John Daly, for example, Payne Stewart and his knickers.   I also cringe at some of the attire that other sports stars wear, but if they can perform at the high level with the distraction....who cares.....again is an expression of their personality.   I will more PGA golfers showed their personality.  I have attended the John Deere Classic for the last 3 years, I would like to talk to the players, but the volunteers will "sshhh" me if I try to engage a golfer.   This is a good reason that the Senior Tour was such a hit at first, because of the personalities, ChiChi, Trevino, and the others interacting with the fans.

• 1 year later...

Jordan Spieth wants to be able to wear shorts on PGA Tour

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/other-sports/golf/2016/01/20/jordan-spieth-wants-able-wear-shorts-pga-tour

ABU DHABI, United Arab Emirates -- Golfers on the European Tour have a new item of clothing to pack in their suitcases.

The tour said Wednesday it will allow players to wear shorts during practice rounds and pro-ams after the policy was passed unanimously by a tournament committee in Abu Dhabi.

Ian Poulter backed the move, tweeting on Wednesday: "Its 2016 not 1990. Get rid of the stuffy old rules that hold golf back. Make it more fun (for) everyone."

Players must still wear long pants in tournament play, although Rory McIlroy is open for that to change, too.

"Maybe. Why not?" McIlroy said. "It really depends if guys are comfortable or not. I don't think it takes anything away from the tradition of the game or etiquette or how guys look on the course.

I'm all for it, I think it's time to come into the twentieth century and allow players to be comfortable when they are playing if they want. 

• Upvote 1

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

They should allow the option of wearing shorts on the pro tours. Part of playing one's best golf is being comfortable. 

If anything, I would let the individual tournaments  decide what the players can wear. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Just my opinion, but shorts on grown men is a horrible look. I guess shorts are necessary at the gym or on the beach, but I don't need to be looking at some geezer's knobby old knees when I'm trying to play golf (or watch it on TV). Leave the half-pants to the women and children.

• iacas changed the title to Shorts On the PGA Tour (Updated 2013, 2016)
  • Administrator

As I have always been, I say stick with pants. With today's fabrics especially, you can do a LOT with pants that are just fine. Breathable, cool, etc.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I have no issues with shorts on the tour.  Sure, pants look more professional, but it really wouldn't effect my image and/or view of the players or the events.  I may be in the minority, but at the end of the day I tune in to see great golf being played and care little about who's wearing what.  That said, I do think it would look bad if it was taken to extremes (ie. gym shorts, etc.) but you could say the same thing about some of the long pants you see out there now (ie. the old John Daly type pants look absolutely ridiculous to me on a golf course and far less professional then a nice pair of golf shorts).  Times change too as does what's considered professional, I'm in banking and when I started my career 25+ years ago you wouldn't be caught dead without a suite and tie on (and anything but a white shirt).  Now casual business wear is totally acceptable and the world hasn't stopped as a result. 

No reason to not let them wear shorts. It's simply the old guard not letting the new generation have something because they didn't.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

2 hours ago, GangGreen said:

I have no issues with shorts on the tour.  Sure, pants look more professional, but it really wouldn't effect my image and/or view of the players or the events.

You know what looks professional to me?  RESULTS

So a great shot looks professional.  Holding that trophy at the end looks professional.

Bill - 

I voted for shorts with stipulations.  I agree that there is nothing wrong with shorts, but it need to be in good taste.  I find it somewhat hypocritical that you can buy golf shorts licensed by the PGA Tour, but that same tour does not permit shorts to be worn by competitors.

DJ

Follow me at Game Golf Profile: http://www.gamegolf.com/player/djfajt71 

I haven't gone back thru all the tread so I apologize if this has already been discussed.

I am totally in favor of having pros wear shorts.

What I have not seen discussed in the treads that I have read is why the golf companies are not pressuring the PGA Tour to allow for shorts.

The pros are walking advertising for their products. Shorts are just another product they can advertise.

7 hours ago, iacas said:

As I have always been, I say stick with pants. With today's fabrics especially, you can do a LOT with pants that are just fine. Breathable, cool, etc.

Why not give the pros their own choice (or should I say their sponsors).

The pro game is all about promotion. Shorts are just another product to promote.

Edited by ay33660

8 hours ago, mcanadiens said:

Just my opinion, but shorts on grown men is a horrible look. I guess shorts are necessary at the gym or on the beach, but I don't need to be looking at some geezer's knobby old knees when I'm trying to play golf (or watch it on TV). Leave the half-pants to the women and children.

I wouldn't say "horrible" but I tend to agree that I think they should stick with pants.  And as @iacas said, the fabrics these days make it such that they are not uncomfortable to play in - even in the sun.  I'm wearing a new pair of Under Armour golf pants right now, as a matter of fact, and they are super comfortable.

Keep the men's legs covered, I say!

On a case by case basis, they can wear shorts if their legs pass the scrutiny of and get approval from a panel made up of Paula Creamer, Michelle Wie, and Dottie Pepper (only because she'd be brutally honest - "CHOKING FREAKING CALVES!!!")

Colin P.

I don't see a problem with them wearing shorts. I get the argument that with today's fabrics, pants can be comfortable enough, but I know that whenever possible I wear shorts. I don't see any good reason why pros shouldn't be able to do the same.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Note: This thread is 1606 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!