IGNORED

Shorts On the PGA Tour (Updated 2013, 2016)

GreensDruid
Note: This thread is 1606 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

39 members have voted

1. 1. Should the PGA Tour allow its players to wear shorts during tournament rounds?

• Yes
    • Yes, with stipulations
    • No

• Administrator
4 hours ago, jbishop15 said:

the amount of lag in that shot is incredible

It all comes out by impact.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

One thing I know for sure is that I play better golf when I'm comfortable, and I'm more comfortable while playing in shorts on warmer days. Now this makes me wonder if the PGA players were dressed more comfortable if their game might show improvements like mine does. 

• Administrator
3 hours ago, 9wood said:

One thing I know for sure is that I play better golf when I'm comfortable, and I'm more comfortable while playing in shorts on warmer days. Now this makes me wonder if the PGA players were dressed more comfortable if their game might show improvements like mine does. 

That pre-supposes that they're uncomfortable.

I'm more comfortable in pants when playing golf. Keeps the sun off my legs, and with today's fabrics, is plenty cooling.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

3 hours ago, iacas said:

That pre-supposes that they're uncomfortable.

I'm more comfortable in pants when playing golf. Keeps the sun off my legs, and with today's fabrics, is plenty cooling.

Some PGA players have already spoken up and said they want to wear shorts, therefore I can assume that some players are more comfortable playing in shorts

• Administrator
11 minutes ago, 9wood said:

Some PGA players have already spoken up and said they want to wear shorts, therefore I can assume that some players are more comfortable playing in shorts

Some undoubtedly are. That's not really what you said… you were a bit vague. If it's a problem a few have, that's entirely different than if the majority or almost all the players are uncomfortable.

I doubt very many players are uncomfortable wearing pants. Maybe I'm wrong.

Maybe I'm more of a "traditionalist" when it comes to this but I don't think they should allow shorts unless the weather gets extremely hot/humid. I really don't have any good reason for my opinion other than they look less "professional" wearing shorts.

In terms of comfort, the players wear some pretty high tech fabric and get it all tailored, so I don't see shorts being that much more comfortable.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

As long as the shorts look professional and tailored, I don't see the problem.

Seems odd to make somebody where something they find uncomfortable just to keep up with tradition.  If the clothing helps with performance, they that should be the bottom line.

• Upvote 1

Tony  

:titleist:    |   :tmade:   |     :cleveland: 

• Administrator
29 minutes ago, pumaAttack said:

Seems odd to make somebody where something they find uncomfortable just to keep up with tradition.  If the clothing helps with performance, they that should be the bottom line.

I don't think the PGA Tour's stance on this has only to do with "tradition."

Ultimately the PGA Tour is a member-run organization. If they strongly wished for shorts, they'd vote to allow it. That they've not done so speaks volumes, IMO.

46 minutes ago, iacas said:

I don't think the PGA Tour's stance on this has only to do with "tradition."

Ultimately the PGA Tour is a member-run organization. If they strongly wished for shorts, they'd vote to allow it. That they've not done so speaks volumes, IMO.

That is true and I haven't boughten new golf pants in forever.  I bet they can be just as light and cool as shorts.  

Probably not worth the fight for the tour members.  

Tony  

:titleist:    |   :tmade:   |     :cleveland: 

• 3 years later...

Maybe back in the day when players wore tweed for crying out loud! The new fabric technology is incredible. Look at some of the golf pants by Adidas or UA, they're like wearing air! The golfer might as well walk around naked! My buddy has had skin cancer, so no longer wears shorts and has to slather on some scrip sunscreen on his arms, face, and neck. When it's hot and humid, he is really uncomfortable. I suggested that some of the new slacks, like I mentioned above, might help him be more comfortable. One time, I notice that he's wearing pants that I've never seen before. I reach down and feel the cuff, and asked if he'd gotten some new slacks. He yes, and thanked me for the suggest because he loved them! 

FWIW, I no longer have any cotton golf clothing except for what I might use during cooler weather. Everything for warm weather play is moisture wicking. Another benefit is that if you're caught out in a shower, it dries incredibly quickly. 

Note: This thread is 1606 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!